So very tempted...

ChaoZ

Car(s)
Mazda Miata
I came across a 1991 BRG Miata locally (used car dealer) with 135,000 km on the clock (approximately 85k miles). Asking price is $6000, but it comes with the hard top (in fair condition, some paint problems) Looking on Auto Trader, the price seems to be in the ballpark for my region.

The dealer said they would be unable to provide a service history. They will certify for emissions, that's it. Carfax report shows no problems.

The car looks to be in pretty good condition, no surface rust and no rust visible in the wheel wells. The car has a thin layer of dust on it, but the paint is good. The soft roof is ok, the rear "glass" has some scratches on it.

Haven't taken a test drive yet (the car was boxed in in an indoor showroom) but I did get to start the engine, which seemed smooth enough (see video below and judge for yourself). The center console was loose, as though somebody tried to pry it open to upgrade the stereo? Not a major deal though. Seats were in great condition.

I just want to know that if all the mechanicals pass mustard (I will have a mechanic friend look at it), is this a good buy?

Here are some pictures I took with a cell phone.

http://img80.imageshack.**/img80/6503/dsc00133xv7.jpg
http://img516.imageshack.**/img516/6733/dsc00112ln8.jpg
http://img524.imageshack.**/img524/4975/dsc00110ui3.jpg

I've also made a video of me starting the car, though the audio is pretty poor. The sound just after the car starts was not backfire, something was going on in the shop.

[YouTube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwSsa7GjYRQ[/YouTube]

raising_gay_flag.82113550_std.jpg

Didn't say it was a bad car, it just this whole damn forum has turned into a Miata dick sucking fest. I know they're good cars, but once in awhile it would be nice to hear something suggested other then a Miata. With that said i'd buy that Miata :p

I've decided that if I don't get into uni I'm going to buy a MX-5 and prep it as a nice track car

This has resulted in me now hoping I don't go to uni :p

Go for it, who cares if people think your gay, your having fun in a nice light sportscar and there not. :)

Didn't say it was a bad car, it just this whole damn forum has turned into a Miata dick sucking fest. I know they're good cars, but once in awhile it would be nice to hear something suggested other then a Miata. With that said i'd buy that Miata :p

:rolleyes:

OP - GET IT. like I said before, after getting used to the sore throat, its fucking amazing!

In my opinion, you should get it. British racing green looks very good on the Miata!

Looks pretty awesome to me! I'd buy it, and if that's the general price range for your area go for it (of course I'd still try and talk him down just cause I'm a cheap bastard).

HEY! It's this or god damn Subaru's. :tease: Or worse everyone on here could be trying to get their hands on a Ford Taurus or a Buick Park Avenue!

Or worse everyone on here could be trying to get their hands on a Ford Taurus or a Buick Park Avenue!

What's wrong with a Taurus? Other than the fact it's slow, leans every time you turn the wheel, doesn't handle, and it's your typical grandmother's grocery-getter.

Why do I like them?

What's wrong with a Taurus? Other than the fact it's slow, leans every time you turn the wheel, doesn't handle, and it's your typical grandmother's grocery-getter.

Why do I like them?

I fucked up the jab... it was supposed to be making fun of Punisherbass after he resurrected a late model Taurus (god only knows why).

I've had my eye on a MINI for the longest time and it never occurred to me that I could have even more fun for less in a Miata. That said, a MINI is quite a bit more practical than a Miata, not to mention a lot more modern.

I say get it. Although I would never buy one myself (I hate the front lights), if you're looking for something like this then it's a bargain. Be picky though, you can get cash off for niggly faults if you're feeling cheeky. :D

I've had my eye on a MINI for the longest time and it never occurred to me that I could have even more fun for less in a Miata. That said, a MINI is quite a bit more practical than a Miata, not to mention a lot more modern.

Have you actually DRIVEN the new mini? I hoped it would be as fun as the miata, but drive it and you will see its far from it. The old mini however, yea a lot funner than the miata, but you wont find it cheap.

I've driven the 2001-2007 Mini and it was pretty good. Have not driven the update. I hear it's not as hardcore anymore, but does have more power while sucking less gas.

What do you mean by old Mini, the original by 1960s version?

sure miatas are seen as girly cars but there cheap to run, own, and operate. and there fun to drive and pretty quick with the right tweaks