So virgin took over NTL - imposes download limits

that ain't getting screwed by standards here, NO providor offers anything better than 1mbit up

Want to know what's really retarded, by upload to download ratio is so retarded that I worked out that you can just about generate more overhead that your upload limit

i have 15/2MBit fios in the usa and i do anywhere from 300-500GB a month in dl:)
if they limit me i will cancel and pick something else

i have 15/2MBit fios in the usa and i do anywhere from 300-500GB a month in dl:)
if they limit me i will cancel and pick something else

May I ask what you download at 10GB a day? That would be something like 21 solid hours worth of TV shows every day if they were at the usual 350MB for a typical American show (~43mins).

50?/month gets you a 2m/512 in Finland...............

Where the hell do you buy your internets from? For 50 euros a month I could get ADSL2+ 24/1mbit from at least two ISP:s here in Tampere. 2/0.5-1 mbit would cost "only" 36e (doesn't sound that cheap when compared to the 24/1 price).

How is 1mb up useless? That's perfectly fine, unless you are releasing torrents, host an frp or download movies in HDDVD/Blu-ray. Which in reality is a very limited number of people. 1mbit up is completely ok, for simple HDTV stuff its easily enough to keep a good ratio. Calling it completely useless imo is quite stupid.

You can't really keep a good ratio because the number of seeds/leechers changes so drastically, you need to cap your download to about the size of your upload if you want to maintain the ratio.

And why else would you even have a connection like this apart from file sharing?

With my 70-80kbyte/s upload I manage to seed hdtv movies to 1 and above without a problem. Ok, you do have to let the torrent open for quite a few days, but it's not like you download 10movies per day.

May I ask what you download at 10GB a day? That would be something like 21 solid hours worth of TV shows every day if they were at the usual 350MB for a typical American show (~43mins).

Stuff:) and no i dont do torrents or any lame p2p crap
and 10Gb a day is nothing i have easly done 130Gb in last 2 days

FYI to everyone torrents suck

Last edited:
Stuff:) and no i dont do torrents or any lame p2p crap
and 10Gb a day is nothing i have easly done 130Gb in last 2 days

FYI to everyone torrents suck

jebjeb: you don't know the right sites :)

I think i know what jebjeb is on about, i know lots of people who could easily download that much stuff per month. I think jebjeb might have access to an ftp topsite coz i could easily download that much per month, if i didn't have a download limit.. (36gig per month) and had the harddrive space to store it. These sites are insanely quick (1gig/sec) if you know the right people.

Torrents do suck, even if you know the right site.. i still use them for aussie stuff but other things ftp's are the way to go, or IRC.

So my internet is well crap, its not to bad in Australia i get about 1000-1500 kb/s but once i go overseas the speed drops to 200kb/s at the fastest most of the time. That annoys me, I find that recently 36gig has been more and more limiting. 24 gig between midnight and noon, and 12 between noon and midnight. The upload is a lousy 256kbit/s and if you upload that much the internet download speed drops... anyway its annoying.

Get another ISP.

An ISP with a download limit is not an ISP, it's effing shit.

End of discussion. END.

i really can't believe the amount of breakdowns i've had since Virgin took over. my internet has gone down 3 or 4 times in two weeks, and the TV service has refused to work a few times. i never ever had to reset my modem when it was NTL, now i have to do it at least once a week.

and i'm still pissed cos i missed mythbusters <_<

funny thing is though, the card we were given for the TV reciever box has NTL stamped on it :lol: