So who do you think should be the third presenter? Place your bets.

I'm still not sure if I agree to the idea of bringing a show as beloved in the rest of the world as Top Gear to our shores as some imitation.

--"Oh sure, they can copy a Mercedes and use it to earn vast lumps of foreign currency, but how do you copy flair and panache and feel? The simple answer is: you can?t, so you end up with a completely soulless driving experience."--

Will I still watch it? Probably. Even if it is technically better, I don't know if I could love it as much. But I could still love it nonetheless.

That being said, I still think there is hope for a show that I can find both appealing and enjoyable to watch. Many have said that the presenters need a chemistry (be friends) and that is true must be funny and witty, and that they have to be "into" cars. I feel that there is more to it than that. I can't say myself that there is a person I back as a presenter or that I back the already established presenters. They aren't just "into" cars; Clarkson, Hammond and May have a contagious enthusiasm and passion for cars best described, I think, when they say how they feel about Alfa Romeos, or when Jeremy is talking about the Camaro he drives to New Orleans or of course... Oliver. Also, the Top Gear guys bring to the table an ability to relate cars to pretty much any subject, which is why they appeal to such a wide audience. They are presenters who happen to like cars, they don't just talk about cars but cover all kinds of topics, like their family or the government. Each of them have a peripheral knowledge that they can tie into their comments and topics.

Being friends with each other is another important part of the show, but I think that kind of thing needs time to develop, I don't think they all knew one another right as the show started, but I'm sure that could be solved after a couple challenges.

Obviously a third presenter is a difficult duck to catch. The original didn't do it right in the first season, but the show kept going anyway. But hey, they even improved on The Stig so how hard could it be?

As long as I don't see a sub woofer that could take the moon out of orbit, or a car especially made for its 42 inch plasma*bling* rims, I'll be more than happy.

This is my first time on Final Gear forums and I apologize for the length of my post.

I think that discussing who should be the third present for the show is jumping the gun and overlooking the abysmal choices NBC has made for their first two presenters. I would rather stab myself in the eye with a spoon than watch Tanner Foust present anything on television. I realize he can drive a car sideways very well, but many people can. He lacks any sort of charm or personality and also seems less than knowledgeable about the vehicles he is talking about on Speed's TV shows. Tanner Foust inspires me to turn off the television and walk away, it really is more entertaining to watch paint dry. As for Adam Corolla some people do seem to like him, but I find his very existence to be in poor taste. For me he can be described in one word, sleazy. Both Corolla and Foust seem to lack the quick wit that make Top Gear's presenters so entertaining and likable.

My concerns for an American version of Top Gear are very similar to those that Jay Leno voiced. Given our advertising driven TV culture if Gear is reviewing a car that is total garbage they will be forced to go on about how wonderful it is rather than describe the lackluster rolling heap of moving parts that the car may actually be or face loss of sponsorship or possibly even law suits. Just look at shows like Motor Trend TV, I don't think I have ever seen a negative review of a car on that show, or Speed's "Test Drive", they have driven a number of cars that are simply rubbish, but they go on and on for thirty minutes about how great the car is. One of the most entertaining parts of Top Gear is the unforgivingly honest reviews of cars, and I don't foresee this making its way into "Gear".

For me the big question is, why would I force myself to watch a show which has mired itself in the makings of something terrible, when there is already a perfectly good Top Gear which is one of the Most brilliant shows on television?

Also I think to compare Adam Corolla and Tanner Foust to Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond is doing a huge disservice to Clarkson and Hammond.

I'd be lying if I didn't say I wanted to be the third presenter

YOU DO TOO, I KNOW IT

Kenny Mayne from ESPN. They guys HILARIOUS and would really add a version of dry British humor that American's get.

I like the idea of Alex Roy. Ture American street cred. Titus is also am excellent choice, but may not possibly be a good choice for the long run (say, 5 seasons). I think it's too easy to come up with a Dream Team. It's a guarnatee to 13-episodes and goodbye. If we're going to do this, we need to have a cast that can be around for more than one season

i agree on titus and tim, making good host's.

has anybody considered Adrien Brody? He used to race when he was a kid in new york, and has participated in the gumball 3000, for a high profile person like him to do that kinda thing show that he really is a crazy enthusiast, or just likes to party hard :)

also i wouldn't mind seeing alexis Pfeiffer in stead of a tanner out there. He's alot crazier then tanner, can drift better, and I think more entertaining.

I also wouldn't mind seeing more Chrissie Beavis (tanners co-driver) she's not a dumb big boobed blond but still very cute. and She knows plenty about cars and has been around rally grunts all her life so I'm sure she can take a dirty joke or two, she's nice in real life too, pretty mellow like tanner but i think we can work on that.

ooorrrrrrr we should have a contest and have people txt in and vote for the host's they like best.

GEAR:

Who will be the last host standing

Sponserd by hyundai (feel the drive)

Ryan dunn would be sweet, but i dont want mr margera touching this project, he hasnt made a quality product since like 1999 :D

I haven't read through this thread much, but I saw something that Viper posted about the guys from Car Talk(Click and Clack) and in my dream world I think they would be awesome for this show. They have great chemistry being that they are brothers and they have an awesome sense of car humor. I don't know how they'd be on TV, but they do very well for radio. Also fitting them in with Carolla and the other guy probably wouldn't work.

However, if this process were starting from the beginning they'd get my vote, especially if only 2 hosts were required...

Ryan dunn would be sweet, but i dont want mr margera touching this project, he hasnt made a quality product since like 1999 :D

i whole heartedly agree, but what does bam have to do with anything? the jackass/cky crew would obviously stay at home for this especially if NBC has anything to say about it. Ryan dunn would bring the more youthful non-toolish side of top gear, plus he knows a decent amount (at least relatively compared to other celebs) about cars and bikes. Personally, I think that Adam carolla doesn't have the boyish spirit that jeremy clarkson and hamster have and tanner faust (regardless of talent) talks like a TRL clone.

I agree, Ryan Dunn would be a great candidate, he has a great narrator's voice and seems to know something regarding cars. From the preview carolla gave on the speed channel g8 special, I'm more than confident that he will be the demise of the show. I'm not going to go as far and say "kill yourself", but relieve yourself of any duty to that show. His generic narration and parrot voice just don't add up that great. I think there needs to be someone fresh whom wasn't as much in front of the camera as others, or a known person with plenty of experience and a purist (jay please change your mind), that can crack a joke but be serious regarding a subject, plus have driving skills. I would go out on a limb here saying william shatner would provide great comedic relief (ever seen boston legal?), don't know about his driving skills though, but I do know that he participated in the toyota celebrity races.

They need a crazy guy in the show so it will not bore us to death. I got some crazy ideas but chances that I will be the third host are very close to zero ;P

Anyway Sabine Schmidt would be not bad choice, she should work on her accent though. She was a bit "wooden" in Clarkson's Supercars but it was her first performance on camera - lets give the gril some time to show her real potential.

What about James?

What about James?

According to Adam on a recent podcast, he's very happy with the selection of Tanner as a co-host. He so much as describes him as "charismatic". However, he and the network are having a considerably more difficult time finding the third man. Every time they have a candidate, they make him drive all the way down to El Toro (two hour drive for him:?) to meet someone that he can size up in about five minutes. In a very Clarksonian gesture, he told his boss(es) that they should stop wasting his time, cut the bullsh*t, and meet with the candidates in L.A. instead. That way he can size them up quickly and tell the suits himself if they'll work well for the show or not. Very Clarksonian indeed.;)

That being said, they'll probably never find the right guy for the job. Adam seems to be a very good Clarkson already. To much dismay, but to Adam's content, Tanner will be filling Richard's role. All that's left is to find a well-cultured automotive connoisseur like James May. So why not bring May himself on the show?;) It would give the show much more credibility, a more more multi-lateral and dynamic perspective, and a much more experienced host. As far as I can remember, the only reason why the original Top Gear blokes wouldn't come over to film was because of Jeremy's disgust with saying in the country for long periods of time. Other than the fact that James is dissatisfied with the way we brew a cup of tea, there doesn't seem to be a very good reason why he can't come over and co-host. I mean come on, that seems like a really lame excuse. Import the damn tea and hire a British butler to brew the damn stuff.:blink: