Ownership Verified: "So why didn't you buy a PHEV?" (2018 Passat Alltrack TDI)

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
I was out putting some km's on the car and stopped for a burger in rural village about 35 minutes outside of the town I live in. It's just close enough to town to be attractive to commuters, but far enough away that they have a thriving village center with grocery stores, agri shops, a garage, a burger grill, florist, etc. These are the surroundings the Alltrack was made for.

burgerpassat.jpg

And seconds after I put the phone down to start working on my hamburger, a 2010's canary yellow Ram Crew Cab rolled by with a burbling V8 soundtrack. Speaking about blending in :D The obvious choice around these parts would be a Cummins but not this guy.

Also my plates arrived on Thursday. My car is a member of society now. Yay.

Last edited:

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack B8
My Kofferraumabdeckung arrived from Germany, used from a pkw-autoteile-something on eBay. I don't know if it's genius or stupid that the cover automatically unlatches and retracts when you open the tailgate.

The only thing I miss from the Insignia so far are the lights. The Hella AFL+ xenons Opel used at the time are better than the basic fixed LEDs on the Passat. Most passats I see around have the adaptive LEDs with two light sources per side so I thought all LED equipped passats had that, but it seems there's a simpler LED version between the "sauna lamp option" (halogens) and the high tech LEDs. With the myriad of tech options available on cars these days it's difficult to have everything figured out even if you try to do your research.

You can tell there's only one turbo, though. It pulls very nicely from very low revs unlike diesels from 20 years ago where absolutely nothing happens before 2000rpm or so, but when you're giving it the beans you can tell it's running out of puff a little bit just before each gearchange. The biturbo in the Opel pulled cleanly all the way through the range. This is not a big deal, though. The Passat is still faster. It makes similar hp and torque but weighs around 150kg less and has quicker gearshifts.

I also read the manual and found out it has launch control. No, I haven't tried it. Plenty of youtubers have, though. Seems like a silly feature in a 1.7 ton lifted diesel estate.