Ownership Verified: "So why didn't you buy a PHEV?" (2018 Passat Alltrack TDI)

Perc

Very Odd Looking Vehicular Object
Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
The reversing camera is a great invention. Even more so if it's hidden when not in use, so it actually stays clean.

IMG_8204.jpeg

It didn't occur to me to take a picture but it looks pretty funny when the back of the car is caked in an inch of snow (these things happen when you drive for a couple of hours in a snowstorm) and the VW badge is visible because it punched a hole for itself.

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
So, two days ago marked my first year of VW ownership. This is an excellent car for the daily grind. It's comfortable, spacious, quiet, has a cavernous boot and is good on fuel. It just does everything really well, almost as if you learn a thing or two when you've been making the same car since 1973. :p

One of the first things I did was to yeet the aftermarket Chinesium winter wheels and swap the factory summer wheels over to the winter tires. I then got a set of lightly used OEM wheels for summer. The only repair I've had to do is the fuel rail pressure sensor which apparently is a known issue on these. It can cause a no-start condition which happened to me once, and hasn't happened since I put the new one on. Ten minute DIY job.

The world doesn't like diesel right now (if ever again) but even with diesel being more expensive than 95 octane right now it feels like the right choice for a car like this. I can't charge at home and running a car this size on petrol is not something I see myself ever doing again with fuel prices being what they are. Also most things that plug in tend to be two wheel drive and have feeble tow ratings.

The most annoying thing about it is the DSG. It was a great invention 20 years ago when the average auto transmission was a four speed that mostly turned fuel into heat in the trans cooler, but these days an 8 speed Aisin or ZF does the job better than anything with a clutch robot ever will. I knew that buying the car though, so I have nobody to blame but myself. :p I also missed out on Matrix LED headlights due to getting lost in the options jungle when I researched the car before buying it. This is a great option to have and not having it will annoy me until I trade the car in. :p

Perc

Car(s)
Passat Alltrack
To continue my brain dump:

I like new shiny stuff as much as the next geek, but like most other people I'm not impressed with what some car makers are doing with user interfaces these days. My car has a dedicated driver aids button on the end of the indicator stalk instead of burying the settings five layers down the touchscreen in a page it won't let you access while the car is moving. I also don't have an air vent blowing frigid air on my right knee or elbow all summer long, because the center vents are on top of the dash where they belong. There's also a normal climate panel with tactile buttons and dials and two little displays that shows the temperature. Yes, it's the same Climatronic they've been using since Obama's first tenure. I don't care, it works well. I took a look inside a MY2022 Passat at the dealer. The Climatronic was gone and replaced with touchy slideys. Fucks sake...

Now, if only they'd fix the god damn volume knob. :ROFLMAO: This isn't my car in the picture, but all Volkswagens do this except for the ones where the beancounters replaced the knob with yet another touch surface. It seriously keeps me from using the knob. Sometimes I reach for it, realize what I'm doing and decide to use the steering wheel buttons instead. There's another knob without the power symbol on it on the other side of the screen, I'd have bought a second one of those already if VW sold it as a spare part. Well, they do, but it's very expensive and comes with a free complete head unit assembly.

20190301-2598866936191963192_IMG_8556-2-e1562614993746.jpg

eizbaer

Forum Addict
DONOR
Car(s)
Model 3, Cargobike
Now, if only they'd fix the god damn volume knob. :ROFLMAO:
Good god that must be some of the top 10 dumbest design decisions of all time! Used to drive me insane in my seat… luckily I just never touched it ever and used the steering wheel controls, but having passengers was always challenging… for my sanity. DON’T TOUCH THAT! :shakefist:

I’m very happy that at least Tesla are little by little bringing back menu popups that show when you touch any of the remaining physical controls (stalks) and let you put stuff back on the quick access bar at least. That way I don’t have to dig through endless menus anymore… it’s better. Not great. But better.

WDWBen

Subaru Killer
Car(s)
2021 Mini Cooper S
It's the same in my Mini; I only use the steering wheel controls for that exact reason.