So you got 20,000 to buy a car.

i was going to suggest a MS6 but damn if they aren't all still around 26K+

if you decide against the 500E then definitely take a look at the GTO they are crazy cheap for the performance.

Bigger car: GTO

Smaller car: Honda S2000.

Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want to track it, then the S2000 is the way to go. Those are great cars on the track.

Steve

whatever you buy, make sure you save enough for a Chevy small block to put in it.

The two at the top of my list would be the E39 BMW 540i and Lotus M100 Elan.

E39 540i.
E36 M3

Look into a B5 S4, though reliability isn't that great, but if you want a performance car with huge tuning possibilities thats the car to buy. Or a B5 A4 1.8t, plenty of tuning and a little bit more reliable.

I'd also look at a low mileage RX-7 (low mileage because once you hit 100k miles you're ready for a engine rebuild!)

Id look at a VW R32 as well.

For $20,000 I bought a Subaru WRX new, because I work for a dealer. But I bet you can buy a 2006-2007 for around that and still have a warranty.

*EDIT* read the first page. Why not a WRX? It is not harsh, and I have a bad back. And if you are tall or big you can fit in it fine. My friend is 6' 5", 300 pounds and no problems.

Over here I would get a Leon FR (basically a better looking GTi) or a Skoda Scout but I don't think you can get those in the states so a GTi is a nice choice.

A first-generation Infiniti M45 would be a nifty buy at that price, especially in black on black, tinted, and debadged. The standard wheels are big enough for it to look pretty intimidating in the best VIP style.

R33 GT-R.

A older BMW E34 M5 has always been one of my dream cars, but once again, i bet repair costs are going to be crazy. An S2000 would also be sick...but the car is going to be a daily driver, so i dont think it would be as fitting.

Based on the fact you described the S2000 as "sick," I'm going to assume that you don't have kids. If thats the case then buy one. With a 2 seater your friends won't be whoring your car for gas money, and you can use it more as something you want to drive rather then something you have to drive. The Trunk on the S2000 is plenty big, and as somebody who used to load Groceries into old peoples cars i can tell you with confidence that a full shopping cart can fit into something as small as a Miata. People have a tendency to be too "reasonable" when it come to size. Buy a big 4 door executive cruiser later on in life. As somebody whose owned both 2 seaters and full size cars i can tell you that in all honesty a 2 seater is more livable in the real world.

Try looking into a Mazdaspeed 3, unless you have a thing against FWD. Brand new they are a little over budget, but if you're decent haggler you can probably get it pretty close, or buy second hand. Just to throw it out there... Mazdaspeed 6 thought thats closer to 30k

Mazdaspeed 3 has been reported again and again as a dreadful car to drive. Not so much the its handling at the limit but in the way it feels. Its supposidly kind of lifeless and numb, so really theirs no point to it. A old merc will actually feel more lively and more comfortable, as well as better made and arguably more stylish, so really the MS3 is worthless.

Infact if you want a high-power FWD then i say you go with the TL like you (p0w3r) mentioned before. The type-S is a excellent car, very stable at all speeds. Although if your worried about parts/repairs you might as well look into the M5 you mentioned, as the Acura and BMW actually seem to have similar repair costs.

The GTO (Monaro in native Australian speak) is a great car, not as sensual as the M5 of the TL, but very well composed for something as comfortable as it is. And i'm sure that theirs a plethora of after-market parts for the engine, all of which are probably relatively easy to install compared to BMWs and Acura/Hondas. Probably the most powerful car for the money, as well most reliable car for that amount of power.

Last edited:
Mazdaspeed 3 has been reported again and again as a dreadful car to drive. Not so much the its handling at the limit but in the way it feels. Its supposidly kind of lifeless and numb, so really theirs no point to it. A old merc will actually feel more lively and more comfortable, as well as better made and arguably more stylish, so really the MS3 is worthless.

hmmm having driven a number of MS3s i am wonder who your sources are? Because i would never call it lifeless or numb much less dreadful it may not be as focused as i would like but it is definitly a really really really fun drive. Now admittedly i am a bit of a mazda fan-boy but still i have driven much worse cars that are supposedly sporty. (EP civic si comes to mind)

other than the MS3 comments i fully agree with everything you say

I would go for the Focus STI over here, failing that the S2000 is a great car, get a clean pre-owned one with some warranty left on it should get some change too.

I can go only based on what I've read, and all the mags seem to make it out to be the greatest thing with FWD. The only "numb" part I've heard is that the steering feels a bit numb. It almost seemed as if they were saying it because they had to fine something to bitch about on every car.

I would suggest something small (3er size at max) and nippy since a small car that can nip between traffic and around the city would be more useful and on top of that most of the time you'll be siting in traffic jams, so why not save your gas money and buy something nice for the weekend.

Suggestions are,

Miata/MX5
Various Hot Hatches (Golf GTI, Mini, Mazda 3 etc)

But if you want something that does both jobs then I suggest,

S2000
E46 M3
RX8

If I had 20k I would be in the market for an LS2 GTO. Actually if I had 20k I'd probably buy a few cars and another motorcycle, but thats just me.

I would suggest something small (3er size at max) and nippy since a small car that can nip between traffic and around the city would be more useful and on top of that most of the time you'll be siting in traffic jams, so why not save your gas money and buy something nice for the weekend.

Suggestions are,

Miata/MX5
Various Hot Hatches (Golf GTI, Mini, Mazda 3 etc)

But if you want something that does both jobs then I suggest,

S2000
E46 M3
RX8

no offence (well maybe some just to be on the safe side) but you can't really give him advice on whats easy to drive in traffic and "nippy" based on gran turismo.