So you got 20,000 to buy a car.

no offence (well maybe some just to be on the safe side) but you can't really give him advice on whats easy to drive in traffic and "nippy" based on gran turismo.

He's 12. He can't give advice on what's easy to drive in traffic... because he's never driven in traffic!

no offence (well maybe some just to be on the safe side) but you can't really give him advice on whats easy to drive in traffic and "nippy" based on gran turismo.

I'm gonna have to agree. Though considering he just re-hashed what everyone else said with exception the the RX8.

He's 12. He can't give advice on what's easy to drive in traffic... because he's never driven in traffic!

Or anything else for that matter!

Perhaps he should try suggesting a 10speed. With the large number of gears it can cruise at high speeds as well as do traffic, though a Haro would make for a far more entertaining bike. :p

Last edited:
well might as well keep it a bit sporty with a mongoose. but i mean for all around practicality i'd go w/ a huffy:razz:

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 gen 8 - 2.5l V6 biturbo with 280 bhp and 367 Nm and AWD.

Galant_vr4a.jpg

Mitsubishi Galant VR4 gen 8 - 2.5l V6 biturbo with 280 bhp and 367 Nm and AWD.

Galant_vr4a.jpg

Not sold in the states. Only thing turbo (from Mitsu) sold to the US since the early 90's was the 3000gt, eclipse and most recently the Evo's.

Secondhand Lexus IS300. Period.

I can go only based on what I've read, and all the mags seem to make it out to be the greatest thing with FWD. The only "numb" part I've
heard is that the steering feels a bit numb. It almost seemed as if they were saying it because they had to fine something to bitch about on every car.

hmmm having driven a number of MS3s i am wonder who your sources are? Because i would never call it lifeless or numb much less dreadful it may not be as focused as i would like but it is definitly a really really really fun drive. Now admittedly i am a bit of a mazda fan-boy but still i have driven much worse cars that are supposedly sporty. (EP civic si comes to mind)

other than the MS3 comments i fully agree with everything you say

Piers Ward said:
"And here's the rub. It's almost too sane. The Astra VXR takes the lunatic asylum routine a bit too far, but the GTI and ST manage to tread a fine line between being quick and sensible, yet also fun. The MPS is just quick and sensible. It's simply not involving enough for a hot hatch, and only feels like a bloody quick Mazda3.

The chief gripe is the steering. Mazda has all but eliminated torque steer, yet in the process has killed all the feel. Turn-in is still sharp and there's nothing wrong with the overall precision, but there's too little feedback through the helm.

Marry that to a chassis that doesn't talk to you, doesn't tell you about all the little nuances in the road surface, and you've got a slightly dull drive.
http://www.topgear.com/drives/C6/AA/roadtests/02/01.html

Unknown Author said:
"For while this is a stunningly fast car (it?s 0-62mph time of 6.1sec may sound quick but it would be at least 0.5sec quicker if it were rear or four-wheel drive), it is not a particularly fun car. And this is why: the only reason for buying a car like this is to make the most of its performance, but it won?t let you......

What is most puzzling is not simply how the same people who make driver?s cars as good as the MX-5 and RX-8 could get this so wrong, but the fact that this engine can also be found in the Mazda6 MPS, a fine and underrated machine."
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/new_car_reviews/article1264967.ece

(Mazda3)
Jeremy Clarkson said:
"I?m no stranger to the concept of disappointment. There was Bob Seger?s last album, for a kick-off. And then there?s my yew hedge, which is six years old and still only six inches high. But the Mazda was something new. It?s not just worse than I was expecting, it?s worse than I?d have expected even if I wasn?t expecting anything.

I mean, why, for instance, base a car on the Ford Focus ? which has independent rear suspension ? and then not fit independent rear suspension? Yes, Mazda saves a pound, but I end up disappointed.

And why do the brakes have to be operated with a switch? Sometimes you just want to slow down a bit, but the Mazda can?t do that. You?re either going along normally, or you?re stationary with your face all squidged on the windscreen and blood pouring out of your ruined nose.

Yes, you get Electronic Brakeforce Distribution, Emergency Brake Assist and antilock, but I?d trade all of that for a bit of ?feel?.

It?s the same deal with all the controls, actually. There?s no finesse to the gearbox, the clutch or the steering. There?s a sense, with everything, of pared-to-the-bone, penny-pinching, accountancy-driven engineering. "
http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/jeremy_clarkson/article824022.ece

Trust me, i was just as excited about the Mazda3 MPS, but if any of these guys are credible then i would at all avoid it at all expense. I'd love it to be as good as The Finn says, but without driving it myself, i have to wonder if all of these people really do have a point.

Last edited:
WELL!

Depends what you want, really.

I, with that cash in hand would be thinking a Series III XJ6, about an '84. You could go with the 12 or the XJS if you wanted it, but they're not hugely faster, but they are hugely more expensive to run. For 20K, you could get a 6 and do wonderful things. Personally, I'd be ditching that 3spd auto post-haste! You'd probably get a Steel-bodied Ford-Jag for that money too, but I like the S3 better.

I'd also be thinking about a Triumph GT6, but not a Mk.1, go for a GT6+ or a Mk.3. They're superb classics that'll run well for a long time yet. Same story for the TR6 and the 2500. I also really LOVE the Stag(I'm saving for one myself), and that'd be doable as well, you just need to take a bit of care choosing a car and keeping it in order. Beefing up the cooling system would be in order if you wanted to get a bit more go out of that sweet little 3L V8. Possibly the best sounding car in the world. (Engage flame shield!)

If you wanted some minature megapower, there's little going past a Mk.III Golf VR6 (I think the US got it as the VR6 GTi). With some light modification, you can get astounding power from the little things, and even as stock they're bloody quick. One of my best mates has one, it's SUCH a great car. Small, modern, comfy and blisteringly quick.

You could also grab a Toytota FJ80 Landcruiser and make yourself a very serious off-roader for that cash. Don't know how well that'd go down around NY though!

You might also try looking for a Caterham/Westfield clubman. Small, modern engines, lightweight bodies, awesome performance for fair cheap. Don't know how they're priced over there, but you might even get a new one for 20K!

Last edited:
Trust me, i was just as excited about the Mazda3 MPS, but if any of these guys are credible then i would at all avoid it at all expense. I'd love it to be as good as The Finn says, but without driving it myself, i have to wonder if all of these people really do have a point.

I figured they would be all UK sources, not that it matters. Every American production has loved the car, again only making a small complaint about steering feel, every review of the UK car seems to prefer the better products which we don't get in the US, such as the Focus MkII.

Remember we only told him to go give 'em a drive, anyone who avoids buying a car because someone with a load of (better) choices in another country on the other side of the world says it's not as good as the choices we don't have... well is a bit dumb IMO.

You might also try looking for a Caterham/Westfield clubman. Small, modern engines, lightweight bodies, awesome performance for fair cheap. Don't know how they're priced over there, but you might even get a new one for 20K!
You won't get a new Caterham for 20K US-$. A used one would have been my suggestion too even if it isn't the most comfy ride. But - as CruiserMan already said - for 20k you'll get one hell of a performance car which will blitz everything below a Porsche 911 (even the Porsche is not safe on narrow roads). And used Caterhams virtually have no depreciation. You spend the money, drive it for 10 years and sell it exactly for the same price.

I say get a Mini Cooper S -- small but spacious, thrifty but stylish and fun to drive.

Ze older German cars are fun but be prepared to spend a lot of time and money getting to know your mechanic (ask me how I know, check signature).

You may be able to find a lot of dealer lot leftovers, especially for model changeovers like the WRX or castoffs like the GTO.

Another though; import a Kei Car from Japan. It'd be hell funny.