Some F1 news straight from the FIA

matt_shaw

Just another .ca?
PRESS RELEASE
WORLD MOTOR SPORT COUNCIL

The World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on July 5, 2006. The following decisions were taken:

FORMULA ONE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP

Bridgestone has been selected as the official tyre supplier to the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2008, 2009 and 2010*.

Microsoft MES has been selected as the official ECU supplier to the FIA Formula One World Championship in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Due to a significant increase in cornering speeds in Formula One this season, the World Motor Sport Council agreed to consult with the Formula One Technical Working Group regarding possible measures to slow the cars.

*Note to editors: In the absence of a second tyre company Bridgestone will be the sole tyre supplier to the FIA Formula One World Championship for 2007. Bridgestone's contract with the FIA to be the official tyre supplier begins in 2008.

Microsoft supplying the ECU's:lol: To many jokes to think of!

I don't know about the cornering speed thing though? Everything is fine the way it is right now. If the drivers are willing to take the risk, let them.

Since F1 cars are open top and lack windows, there probably is no risk of crashing due to MS errors.

Only one tire company!?!?! What the hell?!! Thats like half the competition right there, which company can bring the best tires to the track. Wow this is not cool.

AND SLOW DOWN THE CARS? Seriously, Formula 1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of racing, which means pushing the envelope. Wow, I really don't know what they are thinking.

jayjaya29 said:
Only one tire company!?!?! What the hell?!! Thats like half the competition right there, which company can bring the best tires to the track. Wow this is not cool.

Have you not watched the last few races? They've been talking about Michelin dropping out for awhile.

FATMOUSE said:
Since F1 cars are open top and lack windows, there probably is no risk of crashing due to MS errors.

nah im sure that MS will find some way to mess things up...or else they wont be able to sleep at nite. :)

matt_shaw said:
jayjaya29 said:

Have you not watched the last few races? They've been talking about Michelin dropping out for awhile.

I haven't watched the last 2 due to poor torrents. But isn't Michelin the big shots compared to Bridgestone?

wMTI3MDU1NTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx.jpg

^ :lol:

As for slowing the cars down - it's a safety issue, the tracks need to be able safely accomodate the cornering speeds, and hence provide the required run-off areas. Sure, they could just keep cornering faster and faster, but we'd be watching them from 100m away.

They've been slowing the cars down since it began, banning ground effect, most EDA's in 1994, double chassis. Most of it in the 80's, early 90's really.

jayjaya29 said:
matt_shaw said:
jayjaya29 said:

I haven't watched the last 2 due to poor torrents. But isn't Michelin the big shots compared to Bridgestone?

You can't watch the Speed broadcast? They do an amazing job!

^^ Well, they've been trying to slow them down, but the engineers keep getting the lost speed back, and a bit extra.

Don't forget that back in the mid 90's Goodyear was the only tyre supplies in F1, so in a way things are going back to the way they were.

A lot of people complain that F1 is less about the drivers and more about the tyres, and the playing field needs to be levelled up. Well, considering that a number of championships have been decided on tyres, this is gonna do just that, level the playing field. I'm quite looking forward to it.

The big question is really do you prefer the drivers championship or the maufacturers. If you prefer the drivers then standardisation of parts can only be good. If your more interested in manufacturers then restrictions on sourcing parts is bad. Its all about striking a balance.

matt_shaw said:
jayjaya29 said:
matt_shaw said:
jayjaya29 said:

You can't watch the Speed broadcast? They do an amazing job!

I agree, but my cable service removed SpeedChannel from the package my family subscribes too.....

LoneWolf said:
A lot of people complain that F1 is less about the drivers and more about the tyres, and the playing field needs to be levelled up. Well, considering that a number of championships have been decided on tyres, this is gonna do just that, level the playing field. I'm quite looking forward to it.

x2

i dont really care that the mad mother max mosley slows the cars down b/c everyone knows the teams just spend even more money finding new loopholes to make their cars faster. think of the flexy wings, new extreme aero packs, ferrari's underbody... its technological brillance at its best.

the single tire supplier is ok. i think of champ car and how they have a certain number of tire sets and they get some of the more-medium bridgestone whites and one set of more soft bridgestone reds. the color diff allows other teams and the viewers to see what each team is doing. it allows for a lot of tire stratagy w/o the massive cost.

peter3hg2 said:
The big question is really do you prefer the drivers championship or the maufacturers. If you prefer the drivers then standardisation of parts can only be good. If your more interested in manufacturers then restrictions on sourcing parts is bad. Its all about striking a balance.

Yes, which is why I believe the FIA, despite how much they may be hated amongst the fans, have one of the most difficult jobs in motorsport. They have to strike a balance of providing the pinnacle of driver skill, the most advanced machinery and of course safety.

It's easy for something like CART to make quick changes and implement new rules to make the racing more exciting, but CART doesn't bill itself as the top motorsport league. F1 is at the top, and that makes it all the more harder.

FATMOUSE said:

:lmao: :clap: