Somebody tell Clarkson how to pronounce Murci?lago

Dr. Woo

Car(s)
2008 VW .:R32
For those of you who DON'T know, it is pronounced:

moor-see-EL-ah-go

Forget the "th" sound or the "tch" sound (Clarkson!). It is a Spanish name, therefore should be pronounced as it would be in Spanish. The accent over the E means that is the syllable to be pronounced.

At least he got "Gallardo" right.

You're somewhat right. But, seeing how the car is made by an italian manufacturer, the italians might want to differ and pronounce it with the 'tch' sound. It's just like 'Lamborghini' itself. A lot of people in the world pronounce it Lam-bor-ghee-nee, while others pronounce it Lam-bor-gee-nee.

It just depends on where you're from really.

I'd pronounce it: Mur-she-laa-go - but then again, it's one of those words I'll never pronounce properly as it's a foreign word.

Hmm...

After some judicious research, I have come to the conclusion that if you are to pronounce it in Italian, Clarkson is close, but not quite.

moor-tchay-LA-go

Intriguing.

murci for me... or more like "mursi-elagho"

Buba

Taken from http://www.lambocars.com/murcielago/mur.htm

Murci?lago, how to pronounce :

The name of the latest Lamborghini model could be rather confusing to pronounce correctly, a small help can be found here, since the name is a Spanish word, you should roll your tongue and say it like 'more thea lago', with the accent on the 'thea' section, or something like 'murthialago', both pronounciations will be close to the original name.

I'm pretty sure the "c" is pronoumced as a "th"...

Chade said:

The name of the latest Lamborghini model could be rather confusing to pronounce correctly, a small help can be found here, since the name is a Spanish word, you should roll your tongue and say it like 'more thea lago', with the accent on the 'thea' section, or something like 'murthialago', both pronounciations will be close to the original name.

Wow, that's completely full of crap.

I have a Spanish-speaking person in my office and he confirmed my Spanish pronunciation. The Italian is dead-on as well.

He does some of it on purpose I am sure. He calls the Bugatti Veyron a "Veryon" a lot.

Dr. Woo said:
Chade said:

Wow, that's completely full of crap.

I have a Spanish-speaking person in my office and he confirmed my Spanish pronunciation. The Italian is dead-on as well.

Stop, you're both right... sort of. Spanish spoken with a Castilian accent sounds lispy so that the 'c' in Murcielago ends up as with a "th" sound.

scotth_uk said:
He does some of it on purpose I am sure. He calls the Bugatti Veyron a "Veryon" a lot.
True. Look what he did to Koenigsegg.

NeuroVic said:
Stop, you're both right... sort of. Spanish spoken with a Castilian accent sounds lispy so that the 'c' in Murcielago ends up as with a "th" sound.
Oh, I'm not saying he's full of crap at all...just bothers me that a site devoted to Lamborghinis can put that up there as "the" pronunciation.

As far as I know about writing a pronounciation, the first one proposed by Dr. Woo is probably more diffused here in Italy.
In spanish the "c" is surely more like a "th" but we pronounce it more like an "s"... Don't ask why... Maybe "th" is too difficult for us. :D
So Mur-see-el-ah-go has my vote
And BTW Lamborghini is Lam-bor-ghee-nee, no doubt about that.