• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Sort of finalised my PC, good?

///M

Using all the great input from everyone here, I put together a list of things that fit in my budget. Just wanted to make sure everything will fit together and whether or not I need to change something.

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4-F S.939 nF 4
RAM: OCZ 1Gb (2x512Mb) DDR400 Dual Channel Kit (CL3)
Hard Disk: WD SATA 200GB
Optical Drive: LG DVD +/-R/RW
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon X700 Pro w/256Mb
Monitor: LG 17" T710BHK Black
Case: Asus Vento 3600 (Red)
TV Tuner: Leadtek WinFast TV2000
Speakers: Logitech X-530 5.1 70W
Input: Logitech LX700 Cordless Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Total price: C$1550.00 tax included, give or take depending on the deals I find on the way.

I won't be buying it now, because I still need to make some of the money. I should have everything bought at the end of the summer, maybe into October.

Is there anything I'm forgetting? I haven't been this interested in computer hardware for years :D.

Hey man since you are getting a 5.1 system, I would suggest also buying a good sound card that supports 5.1, ordinary Inbuilt Motherboard souncards aren't that good.

SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY 2 ZS OEM is about 69 euros. You can get a good sound card for about 50 - 100 dollars.

And I think you should get more disk space..

I disagree - unless you're wanting EAX support then most in-built sound cards will do the job for a whole lot less money.

I think you've got yourself a good system there, but I'd seriosly consider looking for a different graphics card - you should not buy an X700 - an X800 or X800XL is you can afford it is much better value for money. X700 Pros are trash.

Also, an LG monitor is not particularly good, you should be looking at Sharp; Iiyama and Viewsonic - these are the best brands, and if you're not spending over ?200 for a 17" TFT then you're going to be disappointed - you might as well stick with CRT for a whole lot less.

The processor is the best one going VFM wise, so that's a good choice. I'm really not sure about the case you're housing this in though, there are much better cases on the market - consider looking at Coolermaster cases if you're planning to overclock the beast.

That's about all the advice I can give for now - but feel free to MSN me if you need any immediate advice.

The onboard sound on the mobo supports 7.1, so I was guessing it should be sufficient. I also had the same idea in mind about buying an SB Audigy, but people on this board said onboard sound is good enough.

EDIT: I looked at benchmark tests and the X700 Pro seems to be pretty decent. Would an X800 make that much of a difference? An X800 XL is well out of my price range, but I might be able to hustle the $60 needed to upgrade to a X800. Would it be worth it?

On-board sound can vary a lot from board to board, it shows a lot about how well they put the boards together, better boards have nicer sound. My suggestion would be to try the on-board sound, get the Audigy2 ZS if you don't like it.

I'm not sure about that case, either. A Lian-Li or Coolermaster case is a better choice for quality and quiet cooling. You might want to look at the Thermaltake Tsunami Dream, that's the case I use and it proves to be a reliable case with good cooling and reasonable quality.

About the case, I'm going for it strictly for looks and ease of use. I'm not going to be doing any overclocking, and from reviews I read, the case sounds pretty adequate.

Asus%20Vento%203600%20pc%20case%20kicks%20ass%20gamer%20%20case%20mod%20overclock%20overclocker%20cool%20design%20space%20age.jpg

I think it looks badass, besides that it has a really cool tool-less design.

I've heard that using onboard sound can slow your performance down up to like 15% on some motherboards. It varies from board to board as Vette Boss said.

I personally would get a bigger monitor, but I have bad eyes, so maybe you don't need anything larger.

Good choice on the video card, should be plenty and I think the case looks great :thumbsup:

Onboard audio is fine for 99.99% of people. Its become the norm for typical systems these days. And if your not happy with it, you could always add another one in at a later period.

The x700 is fine, but alot has changed since you asked what you can get for that price. I actually believe you can get a normal 6800 for the money you had in mind last time. But I guess the x700 is cheaper now too, so I guess you'll be saveing a bit. The 6600gt is also still a great buy, if you can find one at the same price of the x700, go for it. Don't get fooled by the extra 128mb. It still doesn't mean much these days unless you play insanely high resolutions with the fsaa cranked up. Which only really the high end cards are capable of doing at a normal frame rate.

As for your motherboard, a very nice choice. But I can't help to think that if you choose a more basic model (Chaintech offer a nice nf4 solution) you'll be able to stick that extra money in a faster cpu. A amd 3000+ and a 3200+ are a wider gap than the model number would suggest. The 3000+ is nice becuase its cheap, and the newer venice revisions offer loads of headroom to overclock. But the 3200+ offers an extra 200 mhz, in AMD terms thats more than you would think.

I see you chose some OCZ ram, thats cool, but unless the price is right i would go for some other brand. I also noticed that the latency is quite high, cas3. Most "budget" ram these days are rated at cas 2.5. Have a look at some other brands before makeing a final choice there, see what they have to offer at the same price.

And that case looks neat :)

Well, here's what's in my price range in terms of graphics cards:

- Sapphire X700 Pro 256mb
- XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3
- Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3

The mobo is pretty cheap actually, it's not a Neo4 Platinum, just a normal Neo4, that seems to make a difference of $80. Only difference I could spot was firewire and a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

I looked at all the RAM in my price range, and all of it is CS3, even brand names like Corsair and Kingston (btw, should I go for one of those, or OCZ. MSI lists them as all supported brands). Does the latency make a noticable difference?

///M said:
Well, here's what's in my price range in terms of graphics cards:

- Sapphire X700 Pro 256mb
- XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3
- Gigabyte GeForce 6600GT 128MB DDR3

The mobo is pretty cheap actually, it's not a Neo4 Platinum, just a normal Neo4, that seems to make a difference of $80. Only difference I could spot was firewire and a bunch of other stuff I don't need.

I looked at all the RAM in my price range, and all of it is CS3, even brand names like Corsair and Kingston (btw, should I go for one of those, or OCZ. MSI lists them as all supported brands). Does the latency make a noticable difference?

I'd go for a 6600gt then, it doesn't matter which brand. Well, check the ram speeds, that differs sometimes. The x800xl is a awsome card, but then again we're looking at paying an extra 33% then. It is fast, and if your really into games it may be something to consider.

The cas latency does make a difference, but its hard to argue if its noticeable. But something extra here and there will add up in the end result. If everyone is offering the same then the ocz ram should be fine in that system.

if youre about to get a 6600GT i'ld suggest buying a 6800LE instead. i recently bought a 6800LE for a friend and it has standard 8 pipelines enabled and 4 vertexshaders, but i was able to unlock an additional 8 (!) pipelines and 2 vertexshaders without any problems...

You can do that pretty easily, but with a 6600GT thats impossible.

wow that red case looks like a mecha from some kinda anime movie.. nice!

logo said:
wow that red case looks like a mecha from some kinda anime movie.. nice!
nice? i think its really ugly. it reminds me a little of the Enzo btw...

I really don't like the case. Here's a good review of it btw: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc-reviews/67471/asus-vento-3600.html - this site is awesome, you may have seen me link to it previously - I'm subscribed to both magazines and they really do give some priceless advice - so listen carefully to them.

Here's their choice of ULTIMATE PC Case:

SilverStone TJ05 Temjin
it_portal_pic_43118.jpg

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/labs/72862/silverstone-tj05-temjin.html

or if you want to be more budget concious:

Cooler Master Centurion 530
it_portal_pic_43112.jpg

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/labs/72856/cooler-master-centurion-530.html

Re: your RAM - what exactly are you wanting from it? If you're looking to buy some quality overclocking RAM then you'll have to be prepared to spend twice the price of normal RAM.

Ignore Kip's advice on the CPU upgrade. Sorry Kip but if the system is going to be an overclocking system then the XP3000+ is the better choice as it actually overclocks to out perform an overclocked XP3200+

Don't bother with a soundcard, given the power of today's MoBos, soundcards are for serious music enthusiasts only - ie producers etc.

Finally, I will reiterrate my choice of the X800 - there really is nothing else that can match it on the market at the moment. The 6600GT is a fantastic card, and I personally have one of these in my machine, but the main reason I haven't upgraded to an ATI card is that I cannot use it in SLI - which inevitably I will want in my system.

Here's one from the aforementioned Custom PC mag:

Gigabyte GV-RX80256D
it_portal_pic_43129.jpg

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/custompc/reviews/72878/gigabyte-gvrx80256d.html

Overheat said:
Finally, I will reiterrate my choice of the X800 - there really is nothing else that can match it on the market at the moment. The 6600GT is a fantastic card, and I personally have one of these in my machine, but the main reason I haven't upgraded to an ATI card is that I cannot use it in SLI - which inevitably I will want in my system.
havent you heard of the ATI dual VGA thing called "Crossfire"?

I remember he said he wasn't going to overclock. So, in my eyes the 3200+ is a nicer cpu.

I also noticed the 6800le being mentioned. I have one, I'm on my third now actually, soon I'm hopefully switching to a forth becuase they gave me a early revision that has some known problems. Its a great card, if the masked pipelines aren't busted, and if the price is that of a 6600gt. I'm not sure if they come in pci-e flavour though.

The x800 mentioned above looks neat. I would maybe save on the cpu to get a better video card. But i stand by the fact that the 3200+ is more of a cpu than the 3000+, the price difference isn't justified though, I'm not sure if the situation is the same in canada.

X800 is way more expensive than a 6600GT.

The case has a couple of drawbacks, but they aren't that serious. I think I'd give up the ability to have three HDs for something that looks like that.