Sound deadening foam?

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
Has anyone tried using sound deadening foam/spray on their car?

I know that Dynamat is effective for car interiors, but I'm thinking about the wheel wells. I noticed how some new cars have wheel wells covered in what looks like tar, and I saw that there are now sprays for sale that claim to reduce road noise.

I was riding in a newer Volvo the other day and I realized that my car doesn't ride worse than it, I just hear more road noise into the cabin.

If you put Dynamat or one of the (much, much cheaper) alternatives on the interior of your car, you don't have to worry about doing the wheel wells. The wheel wells are done on the line because applying such an acoustic undercoating is much cheaper and much faster than Dynamat-ing the car. Also lighter.

Should also be noted that current Volvo sales have tanked in part *because* the newer Volvos ride and handle like yours, too... :p

Last edited:
Thanks. I actually just ordered a Dynamat alternative (80 mil thick) and will do the doors and some of the trunk. Then maybe, just maybe, I will do a 2.5 inch exhaust and a high-flow muffler.

Are you two gonna hug now?

:tease: