South Korean woman fails driving test.........771 times

Koenig

Take A Cab: South Korean woman fails driving test... 771 times

Most people pass the driving exam on the first try, with a select few failing once or twice before finally getting it right. In South Korea, one woman has been trying to pass the written test since 2005 and has yet to pass. In all, the 68 year-old woman, known only as Cha, has failed the exam 771 times. Okay, so you're thinking that South Korea has some wicked-hard test that takes a MENSA certificate to pass. Probably not. Actually, you only need a 60% to pass, and Cha typically lands in the 30-50% range. Unfortunately, the test isn't cheap, either. Each and every failure costs Cha 6,000 won, which equals about $4.69 in U.S. funds. That doesn't sound like much, but spread over 771 failures, we're talking about $3,600. Cha is hoping to get a car to help her business. She sells food and household items door to door.

Well, Cha, we're pulling for you and we don't want you to give up. And we're proud of you for not cheating, too. We hear some people cheat by writing answers on their arms or hooking up their Bluetooth and getting answers from someone on the other end of the line. That would be wrong. But seriously, Cha... what's wrong with taking taxis?

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/02/06/south-korean-woman-fails-driving-test-771-times/

*Insert female-Asian driver joke*

That's determination right there... or maybe rather stubbornness? In the US they pass out free books to pass the exam... maybe she refuses to read them? I guess in Korea they don't tell you the answers when you get it wrong.

If she can't even pass the written portion, what is she like behind the wheel? Plus she's 68!

*Insert an old female Asian driver joke"

For god sakes don't give her a driving license!!

If someone is dumb enough or just plain unable to pass their license after their 10th try or so there should be a mandatory pause of 1 year with proof of additional certified driving lessons before they can have a go at their next batch.

I don't want that women to knock the door at the next house with her car.

Too easy... must not make obviously obvious jokes...

They got no limits on how often you can be tested? You can't go more than once a week here... so if dear Cha was in BC she could have only done 200 or so tests since 2005. That's so much less!

Too easy... must not make obviously obvious jokes...

I'll give a slightly more sophisticated joke. Even korean girls are so good at Starcraft, you'd think those skills at multitasking would translate to driving a car properly.

This woman is probably not an avid Starcraft player, though....

John Ringo wrote a passage in one of his books about idiot older people like this woman:

Mabel Zermenfuster Wassenester was seventy-nine. She had been born and raised on a farm near the small town of Blue Earth, Minnesota. Her first driving experience had been subsequent to her marriage, the lesson administered by her mother who had originally learned to drive a horse-drawn wagon. Mabel always remembered her mother's various admonitions. Never turn so fast that a bottle of pop on the floor will fall over. Brakes are only for emergencies. And if, God forbid, you find yourself on a multilane road, the left-hand lane is the safest and it's there that you should drive. You stay in the left-hand lane until it's time to turn right, change lanes, then turn. Slowly.

Mabel's problem was that there was a line of cars, and a spray truck, in the right-hand lane when it came time for her to turn onto International Drive. She'd never seen a spray truck out during the day and only occasionally when she couldn't sleep at night and one of the loud, smelly trucks drove by. She was heading over to her friend Margaret's house. Margaret lived in an apartment on Kirkman Road and the only way Mabel knew to get there was down International Drive. She sorely hated the road?there were simply too many fast drivers on it?but it was the only route she knew. She had never noticed that she actually passed Kirkman to take I-Drive. This was the route she'd learned the first time and she stuck to it.

Mabel does, however, get killed shortly thereafter, so it's all good. :D

The difference between Korea and Florida, evidently, is that Korea's licensing strictures are tough enough to keep such idiots from getting licenses.

Last edited:
771 times... dayem...talk about being stubborn

I'll wager she dies before she has a chance to complete her test successfully, which may be a good thing

How hard is the test in Korea?

'You see a dog cross the road ahead of you, do you...'
A) Come to a stop and allow the dog to cross?
B) Swerve to avoid it?
C) Handbrake turn?
D) Kill it, roast it, eat it?

Correct answer is D.

ROFL. Some serious dedication going on there reminds me of the French movie Taxi (no not the one with Queen Latifah!)

68?! Shouldn't she be retired anyway, or do people never stop working in Korea?

If they have provisional licenses like we do, she could be driving around anyway. :eek:

It might be like the Vietnamese bike test, maybe she was in the test centre for a week solid retrying the questions. :lol:

please don't make any asian jokes. it's uncalled for.

Dude, I'm Chinese, and I'll be the first to say that my mother is a terrible driver. Trust me, the female-asian-driver stereotype is definitely warranted.