Spark Plugs

jayjaya29

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW M3
Do "high performance" spark plugs make any difference in a car at all?

I see all the time, low resistance, high output (something like that) spark plugs, they advertise like a few extra horses. Is there any credibility to that claim?

Lets take my car for example. 2000 Nissan Altima, totally stock. 55,000 miles, normal maintenance for its whole life. Lets say I get a pair of "high performance" spark plugs, would I see any difference in how my car runs at all? Horsepower, MPG, anything?

Just wanna know since I see this advertised all the time.

Something like this: Clicky Here

Thanks.

No, you wont see any sinificant horsepower gains becuase the effects would be minimal. BUT, if you have a sparkplug that significantly cause better combustion you will notice your engine will run smoother because the fuel is being properly ignited.

So basically its a upgrade only if you need them type of deal. If everything runs fine, don't get good ones?

^If everything runs fine, you probably already have some relatively good ones.

Modern ignition systems are good enough that these "high performance" things don't make any kind of difference. Unless you actually intensively modify the engine itself, the stock OEM components work the best.

Just install and use what the manufacturer recommends. And make sure your car is well maintained.

no difference at all. it will only make a slight difference if you have a highly modified car that needs the extra spark.