SpeedTV loses its speed coverage of F1 for 2013

Mercedes5CLR

Car(s)
2014 Ford Taurus
Today is a horrible day for all F1 fans here in the states.. SpeedTv has lost its bid for continuing coverage of its F1 coverage.. The winning network is NBC and I Guarantee almost all the races are tape delayed and parts edited out due to time restrictions on the network.

I feel like some one punched me in the gut at the moment..

:cry:

If F1 gets put on NBC Sports Network like the Indycar races this year, coverage shouldn't be too bad. Just as long as it doesn't get caught up in the pissing match between Comcast and DirecTV.

while I am happy its no longer on speed(lets be honest speeds coverage has been shit recently), I am way more upset that its going to NBC. It looks like I will have to continue to stream the races from the UK's coverage.

Last edited:
HA CANADA GOT TSN. In yo faces.

Looks like SPEED itself will cease to exist in 2013, replaced by the "FOX Sports 1" cable network, which will add MLB and College Football amongst others.

While Fox has declined to comment on its planned channel, people familiar with the matter said the company will convert its niche sports channel called Speed into a broad-based sports network.

Besides baseball, Fox will also put NASCAR racing, college football, soccer and Ultimate Fighting on its cable channel. The working name for the channel is Fox Sports 1.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-ct-baseball-fox-tbs-20121002,0,3675669.story
http://dalyplanet.blogspot.com/2012/10/boom-goes-dynamite.html?m

I hate that Speed is going away, however there is a benefit to NBC getting F1. More people here will see it, which can only help the sport here.

So wait, Speed is going away? What the Fuck??? when did this happen?

Speed basically became the "NASCAR NASCAR NASCAR CHANNEL with some occasional other not-very-good coverage of non-NASCAR racing" some time ago. That doesn't seem to have worked out the way they thought it was going to (duh, there already was an official NASCAR Channel) because most of their subscribers/viewers left. This is what they've come to as a result.

Last edited:
You can't possibly tell me you liked Speed's coverage of F1 races. Commercials every 5 minutes, retarded commentators and commercials during the actual footage ("and here is out Mobil 1 Leaderboard and the Pirelli race predictions...such bull shit!)

When I used to live in Bulgaria, coverage was uninterrupted. No commercials for 2 hours. There used to be a time when they had commercials, but they did picture-in-picture and still showed the race going on in the corner.

It's not about Speed being good, it's about NBC being worse.

Speed is the only channel we have that actually covers the motoring world. NBC makes a cock up of showing generally anything.

Last edited:
oh christ if speed is gone how am i going to watch Grand-Am/ALMS

You can't possibly tell me you liked Speed's coverage of F1 races. Commercials every 5 minutes, retarded commentators and commercials during the actual footage ("and here is out Mobil 1 Leaderboard and the Pirelli race predictions...such bull shit!)

I expect that the TV rights for Formula One are not cheap. Then take into account that the races are held in the early morning or late evening in the United States - not exactly prime advertising time - and your audience is rather specialized.

As such, I expect SPEED cannot charge very much per minute of advertising so they need to sell a crap-ton of advertising minutes and secure a sponsor for everything to generate sufficient revenue to pay the fee to Bernie.

And if you've ever watched a NASCAR race, every second of it is sponsored by somebody so there are product logo bugs in the crawls, in the fade-outs and fade-ins, on each individual in-car camera shot, etc. etc. etc.

Don't you guys have any regulations over there? Over here TV stations get the family jewels twisted out of shape if they show more than the maximum 12 minutes allowable ad-time per hour.

Last edited:
I expect that the TV rights for Formula One are not cheap. Then take into account that the races are held in the early morning or late evening in the United States - not exactly prime advertising time - and your audience is rather specialized.

As such, I expect SPEED cannot charge very much per minute of advertising so they need to sell a crap-ton of advertising minutes and secure a sponsor for everything to generate sufficient revenue to pay the fee to Bernie.

And if you've ever watched a NASCAR race, every second of it is sponsored by somebody so there are product logo bugs in the crawls, in the fade-outs and fade-ins, on each individual in-car camera shot, etc. etc. etc.

I'm guessing NBC is paying much less than other countries on account of F1 not being popular in the U.S.