SpeedTV loses its speed coverage of F1 for 2013

I must stress how great TSN is. They do picture in picture commercials and they time it during the "boring parts". On a few occasions, they will cut commercials when something exciting happens: like when Vettel's alternator failed.

I must stress how great TSN is. They do picture in picture commercials and they time it during the "boring parts". On a few occasions, they will cut commercials when something exciting happens: like when Vettel's alternator failed.

Agreed.

Although sometimes the sound is really really off. It's had really bad echo's, the sound has been several seconds off from the video as well. But for the most part it's good.

Don't you guys have any regulations over there? Over here TV stations get the family jewels twisted out of shape if they show more than the maximum 12 minutes allowable ad-time per hour.

I'm sure there are. And SPEED does try and "front load" commercials during things like Red Flags or extended Safety Car periods to allow longer periods without commercial breaks.

I'm guessing NBC is paying much less than other countries on account of F1 not being popular in the U.S.

I expect it's cheaper than a number of EU countries, but this is Bernie we're talking about. ;)

NBC's IndyCar coverage is side-by-side during commercial breaks, so hopefully they will do the same because I do agree that SPEED often seems to cut to commercial just before something happens on track. :p

I expect it's cheaper than a number of EU countries, but this is Bernie we're talking about. ;)

It is, but on the other hand it makes a whole lot more sense for Bernie to get better coverage than to haggle a few more million dollars from the deal. After all, getting the popularity of the sport in USA would bring a whole lot more money in on the long run than that.

So, if NBC offered a deal where they would not pay for the rights but would show half the races on terrestrial channels and the rest on NBC Sports Network (a similar deal to what BBC and Sky have going in UK) I'm absolutely sure Bernie would take it.

After all, getting the popularity of the sport in USA would bring a whole lot more money in on the long run than that.

Bernie is over 80 years old. I doubt that he's thinking about the long run when it comes to extorting money.

sorry for you americans. Maybe try Skysport F1 via BT?

F1 has been on Speed since it was called "Speedvision" in 1996...

I like Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett, and Buxton. Honestly, I cannot see F1 going to ESPN. PPV is like the only option I can think of. I hope it does not go that route, but if NBC picks it up... Man, this is really going to suck. I like the side-by-side addition though. I just hope we keep the same commentators. Maybe, have a bit more ground coverage as well. That would be fantastic for some others to work beside Buxton on the track and in the paddock.

It is, but on the other hand it makes a whole lot more sense for Bernie to get better coverage than to haggle a few more million dollars from the deal. After all, getting the popularity of the sport in USA would bring a whole lot more money in on the long run than that.

So, if NBC offered a deal where they would not pay for the rights but would show half the races on terrestrial channels and the rest on NBC Sports Network (a similar deal to what BBC and Sky have going in UK) I'm absolutely sure Bernie would take it.

FOX already broadcasts four races on their network, so if Bernie wanted more "network" coverage I would think FOX could have obliged them, but who knows. FOX spent a mint on MLB Baseball so maybe they want to dedicate Sunday afternoon coverage to those games, which would have impacted their ability to show more F1.

My largest worry about having a number of the races shown tape delay on NBC itself is that I can't watch any other sporting events beforehand as they are guaranteed to show who won in the "ticker crawl" at the bottom. :mad:

Last edited:
Bernie is over 80 years old. I doubt that he's thinking about the long run when it comes to extorting money.

He doesn't seem overly keen on retirement so who knows :p

Joking aside, Bernie is a clever businessman whose main goal is (or at least seems to be) increasing the value of his product. I doubt he'd be interested in making a short term profit on something that would be bad for the business on the long run, just because he might be retired by the time those decisions come to bite.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/49410415/ns/sports-motor_sports/

NBC Sports Group has signed a four-year deal with Formula One for the exclusive U.S. media rights to the world's most popular global motorsports series.

The deal that begins next season will air four races on NBC. The remaining 16 races, and all practices and qualifying sessions will be on cable NBC Sports Network in what's expected to total more than 100 hours of annual programming.

All 20 races will be live streamed on NBC Sports Live Extra, the NBC Sports Group?s live-stream platform that is available online at NBCSports.com as well as on mobile and tablet apps.

The four races that will reportedly be on NBC will be Canada, Abu Dhabi, Austin, and Brazil. The New Jersey race will most likely be on cable because of the US Open.

I laughed out loud.

Hey, they show F1, GP2, FIA GT (sometimes), WTCC, AMA, Superbike, NASCAR, LMS, ALMS, Grand-Am, Continental Sports Car Challenge, Drag racing, some other hick racing series, and probably some others I'm not thinking of right now. They're coverage may not be exceptional, but there is no other channel I'm aware of that comes even close to that.

Speed is fucking terrible. It's 90% NASCAR, and the other 10% is NASCAR related garbage. Oh, and the occasional "how to" show always about trucks and dinosaur era relic muscle cars. I fucking hate it.

I'm sympathetic to my American F1 fans, though. At least we have TSN's direct BBC coverage up here. Shame TSN doesn't know what "Dolby 5.1" means.

...and probably some others I'm not thinking of right now.

DTM, BTCC, Australian V8 Supercars, Ferrari Challenge and Porsche SuperCup all come to mind. They also covered the North American Tequila Patron Cup before it became part of IMSA GT3 and I think they did/do Star Mazda races, as well.

So yeah, 90% NASCAR. :p

DTM, BTCC, Australian V8 Supercars, Ferrari Challenge and Porsche SuperCup all come to mind. They also covered the North American Tequila Patron Cup before it became part of IMSA GT3 and I think they did/do Star Mazda races, as well.

So yeah, 90% NASCAR. :p
And how much of those events do they actually play relative to the big redneck car crash/series?

Losing Speed only concerns me about one thing, what do with the 24 hours of Le Mans?

Losing Speed only concerns me about one thing, what do with the 24 hours of Le Mans?

You should hope and pray for one of two things: either the ACO makes a deal with a sports network to televise the whole WEC including Le Mans, or they allow Le Mans to be streamed online on their own website as they've been doing for the rest of the WEC races this year. Last weekend they actually got the streaming right, it was relatively smooth and with great picture quality.

And how much of those events do they actually play relative to the big redneck car crash/series?

Each broadcast is usually an hour (with the exception of GP2, which is 1.5 hours).

So yes, it's compressed compared to a Craftsman Truck race (which is the only major NASCAR series they broadcast), but at least you can still see it.

FIA GT used to be carried here in Seattle on a cable shopping network so they actually only showed one race - every other broadcast was pre-empted with a shopping show. And before SPEED, the last time DTM racing was broadcast was on The Chevy Motorsports Hour back on FOX Sports Northwest in the 1990s.

So personally, if FOX drops most or all of those racing series with this new cable channel, that's going to be a bummer because now I'll have to torrent or find a DDL site.

Last edited:
This clip is not F1, but maybe it says a bit of the general competence of Speed TV?

At the beginning of the video they claim that the Datsun no. 38 is driven by "David Stone", when it is in fact driven by Adam Carolla. Towards the end of the video they claim that the race was won by Dennis Singleton in the green Porsche, Dennis ended 13th and is being lapped by Bruce Canepa in the white Porsche at the end of the video, Bruce ended 3rd....

:blink:

[video=youtube;Er-VAlMy6c4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Er-VAlMy6c4[/video]