Splinter Cell: Conviction

I enjoy it. I would say rent it as you will either love it or hate it. It seems to be the trend.

BTW, every Thursday will have free DLC. This week is a new weapon. They will also have new skins and Deniable Op maps.

Last edited:
Anyone else having a hard time getting all the weapons? I'm still missing the AK47, AK47U, and the other sub gun next to the skorpion.

just got back from my local GAME store and got my Collector's Edition of the game. just about to fire up the Xbox and get started. Couldn't help it but saw they were selling Splinter Cell Conviction T-Shirts in there as well and just had to get one.

its worth pointing out that those who have Uplay accounts with ubisoft. you can add more to the game from themes, weapons and so on. http://uplay.us.ubi.com/ (for the yanks) or http://uplay.uk.ubi.com/ (for us brits). so far what they've got on offer is...
SCAR-H: Built for rough conditions, the COMBAT ASSAULT RIFLE deals far range damage, while keeping accurate.
VR ZVEZDA: Voron's SV7 Rapid Response Assault Suit. Used by Voron field operatives for assault operations.
Infiltration mode: Eliminate all hostiles without being detected (this mode is included free for all those who bought the Collectors Edition of the game)
SCC Theme: Download the exclusive Uplay theme for Tom Clancy?s Splinter Cell Conviction.
these are on offer to both the PC and Xbox versions of the game (although i am aware that the PC version hasn't been released yet). you gain uPlay points in the game by completing challenges (completing levels or performing upgrades) and can then be used to be redeemed for new features.

Anyway, a hour or so in and really loving the game. I've cranked the difficulty up to realistic (which is unusual for me since i normally start a game on normal mode) and i've kept the same tactic as the demo. If Sam gets detected, its back to the checkpoint and another method of attack. I was never really a big fan of the Splinter Cell games before but i am seriously enjoying this game. Also been listening to the soundtrack that came with my Collector's Edition and really liking that as well. Already been put on my ipod for repeated listenings.
On a note about the games plot.
i honestly was not surprised about the revelation that Sam's daughter being alive. I was expecting it towards the end of the game but not at the start of the 3rd level.

Also Penny Arcade have been doing their thing again.
838303391_mkMe4-L.jpg

They Are Genuinely Interested...

Splinter Cell: Conviction has virtues, and we may even get around to discussing them, but "incessant guard dialogue" is not among them. These people never shut their Goddamned mouths. Ever. Until you shoot them. The new game's emphasis on brutal murder has been decried in some corners, but players will appreciate the ability shut four of these douchebags up simultaneously.

Coverage of the game has been fascinating, though it was always going to be. They boiled the flesh off of a beloved brand, suspending strange new textures and flavors in its thematic broth. The breadth of opinion is precisely where I like it: because it's not a franchise iteration, no mere pull of the lever, people actually have to discuss their experience. And, since only the 360 version is available, we can talk about the actual game as opposed to the copy protection.

Depending on the author, the fact that Splinter Cell: Conviction has instant-fail missions is either dated or a welcome relief. The fact that the screen goes grayscale while in the dark is either an innovation or an aesthetic crime. What's more clear is that many, many people liked hiding bodies, and are sad to see it go. I'd sooner mourn split jumps or inverted grabs, but I understand the feeling. Certainly, I had my favorite places: I was especially fond of walk-in freezers. I was less fond of the "three-strikes and you're out" alarms, or losing in the current section because of something I'd done in a previous section. In any event, I didn't think that Splinter Cell was about hiding bodies, anymore than having dinner is about doing the dishes. That was just something I had to do in order to play Splinter Cell. It was always about Sam Fisher, doing what he does, and so for me this recalibration wasn't especially an affront.

In any case, I vastly prefer the noble experiment over the dogmatic reflex, especially when someone else is paying eight figures to risk a major brand on exploratory work. I value the urge, even if I don't always like the specific result.

I played through the entirety of the cooperative campaign with a friend, which is a thing I think people should do. The single player campaign is essentially Sam Fisher's diary, in some cases literally: there are times where you can actually read what he is thinking. But this Sam is no longer a government operative, and to the extent that he has an arsenal of whizbang gadgets they're cobbled together over the course of an entire game. You may be surprised to learn that the cooperative portion operates in much more traditional mode: world-class agents tooled to the eyeballs, garbed not in outdoor-dad chic, but dressed in such a way as to make murder more convenient.

I'd never suggest that (upon consuming the demo and finding it wanting) you should go purchase a game on my say so. If you do own it, though, and are wondering if your franchise may be found there, I can't recommend modes like Hunter or Infiltration enough, even when played alone. Turn off gadgets, set it to pistol only, and you may begin to feel something very familiar.

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, the level that was commented upon as being out of place...
was it the Iraq level? bearing in mind that i've only just reached the Lincoln Memorial Level.
had my first go on Hunter Co-op last night and was loads of fun. well except for all the people who kept quitting the match. going to have a attempt at Deniable Ops later tonight.
If there's one thing i really like is playing this on realistic difficulty. Each time i pull off a stealth kill it actually feels like a accomplishment. While ME2 still remains the best game of the year for me, this is definately a very close second.

Jedd, we can hook up soon and do the co-op stuff. I beat it all on realistic, so would should be able to breeze through it.

If anyone bought the Collector's Edition and got a defective USB "credit card", all the contents can be downloaded here (can be downloaded by everyone, not just CE buyers). :)

Here are the contents of the file:

Animation strip of Sam's hand-to-hand take downs
Concept art for various levels
Co-op character bios
"Digging In The Ashes" 16-page comic book
"Making of" video
Music (just the main theme)
Renders
Screenshots
Storyboards
Wallpapers

Last edited:
Jedd, we can hook up soon and do the co-op stuff. I beat it all on realistic, so would should be able to breeze through it.

okily dokily, there's actually a achievement for playing the game with a friend. i'll be playing this game for quite a while anyway.

completed the main game earlier on realistic difficulty only to find that there's a bug and its not given me the Realistic Completion Achievement (on the scene menu, all the scenes are listed with the 3 dots representing completion of realistic difficulty). Sodding thing is that i remember this happening before with Rainbow Six Vegas 2 and they eventually released a patch for it.
did some Co-Op earlier which didn't end well. one quit early, another spoke only french (that ended very well...) or someone ran through it thinking it was Call of Duty. The only part of this game where i truly suck is at the infiltration stuff. trying to go undetected is next to impossible for me since i usually end up making some mistake. just as well i didn't work for Third Echelon, i'd be bloody useless.
Overall opinion, really enjoyed the game. There were a few points where i was cursing at the screen for making boneheaded moves. i can understand people's complaints about it, but as a game. i really enjoyed it and had loads of fun with it, and still will have loads of fun with it.
Apologies to Johnnyracer, looks like something the Xbox Live party system was bugged. About 30 mins later i was playing with another person and was able to establish a Live Party then. Its probably a momentary bug or glitch. have to try again another time.

Last edited:
more stuff from penny arcade, however i've had to spoiler it since it does give away a fairly good chunk of the games end plot.
838826428_HA7go-L.jpg

The story in the new Splinter Cell is of the International Intrigue variety, and by the time events have reached their culmination, every serpentine bend of the quintuple cross has been revealed. It's very much a genre, with its own peculiar texture, and Conviction scrupulously charts a more personal course through those events - but there's still plenty of New World Order Shadow Conspiracy boogita-boogita to go around.

I have described the role of the enthusiast community as regards the development process as curatorial, which sounds nice, and feels at least partially true. There's husbandry, also, but then you have to manage a shocking series of mental images. My belief now is that we represent the environment in which games exist. A developer can create a brand, but they cannot create a franchise - that is our exclusive purview. We don't own it, but we do. The power to destroy a thing is the absolute control over it.

It is very, very good to be on the consumer side of the electronic entertainment equation, and I would caution you regarding any attempt to defect. We can moan about the calcification of franchises, and of the dreaded jungle condition Sequelitis, but if a developer does commit to deep alterations this is also cause for ire.

Of course, if those changes are bad, then we're not talking about something reflexive. The loss of a dedicated and elaborate adversarial mode - like the one pioneered in Pandora Tomorrow, rethought in Chaos Theory, and then gone desperately astray in Double Agent - is a devastating blow. Reading the reviews, it's clear that every person has their own Splinter Cell - the third game comprised three radically different experiences, and each one has its proponents. For Robert and Gabriel, adversarial play may be the series' core virtue. For me, the experience of cooperative stealth took the fore. I'm lucky indeed that they decided my fetish was worthy of iteration.

Ubisoft's cinematic presentation for most games - outside of the playable portions - tends to be pretty not good. There's a lot of pre-rendered stuff that doesn't feel connected with the game proper, often very settled-for or bulk-rate in terms of its execution. Conviction is better than they've ever done on that score, with some genuinely nice setpieces and in general the sense that these portions of the game were actually someone's job. But there are times where the game's long stretch of rough road manifests itself, evidence that it has been more than one game. In its Federally mandated "parkade" level, you can lose instantly if a guard finds a body - but you have no capacity to move bodies. Now, you might say that the "creation" of a body where a person can find it is inadvisable, but it speaks to a gameplay concept that is, at times, in a transitional phase. But the creature that has emerged from this process, shreds of its leathery egg still clinging, is formidable. It has incredible potential, and a measure of that potential is on display.

There is a temptation to be politic regarding Conviction, to split the difference and retain the "high ground," but I can't claim any genuine interest in it. I've played the game twenty hours now, or more, and I'm still not finished. Cover is a "thing" now, like mouselook, I miss it when a game doesn't include it - and this is the most credible, dynamic system of environmental maneuvering yet. People tend to think the developer is talking out both sides of its mouth when they describe Conviction as a Stealth game, which I understand completely, because the ability they're always promoting is the ability to shoot four guys in the head at once. But there is a Stealth game here, capital S - a highly novel, extremely challenging one - which is, perhaps appropriately, hiding in plain sight.

this weeks new downloadable freebie is a Proximity Mine
A proximity mine will attach to any surface it touches and automatically detonate when an enemy gets too close. Once downloaded, it is available to use in the following scenes:
-White Box Laboratories
-Third Echelon HQ
-Michigan Ave. Reservoir
-Downtown District
-The White House
also, they appear to be keeping track of stats and things over at www.splintercell.com/match

^
You have already spent 19:09:19hrs playing Splinter Cell Conviction online, and currently rank 116457/145090 in our leaderboards.
Your strengths are kills and accuracy.

Nice.

mine came up with
You have already spent 27:54:27hrs playing Splinter Cell Conviction online, and currently rank 70183/175990 in our leaderboards.
Your strengths are kills and accuracy.

i can live with that, i knew my strength wouldn't be in stealth. don't know how many times i've screwed up in infiltration mode.

So the PC version came out today; anyone here wanna comment on it? (I can't because I pre-ordered it so it is probably being shipped today; should come tomorrow or Thursday. :D)