Splinter Cell: Conviction

Some new gameplay footage:

[YOUTUBE]u03SKxsuxuE[/YOUTUBE]

i so can't wait for this game. Never have i wanted a Splinter Cell game so much before.

GOD DAMN YOU UBISOFT!!! :x

They're gonna put the same bullshit DRM crap in the PC version that they put in Assassin's Creed 2 where you have to be constantly connected to the internet TO PLAY THE SINGLE PLAYER GAME! HOW RIDICULOUS IS THAT???

Are they telling me that if I want to play the game in a few years time, that they'll keep the same servers running for that long? If they shut down the servers after some time, then I won't be able to play the game at all! :x

Not only that, but they're charging $10 more than most new PC games, probably to cover the cost of this "protection", which does nothing but annoy the shit out PC gamers, and encourage piracy even more. Sure, it'll make it a little harder to pirate the game, but the RELOADED version of AC2 is already out and cracked, so the pirated version is actually better than the retail version.

I was waiting for this game for so long and was confident that I was going to buy it on release day, but now, I don't know. :(

Last edited:
Wow. Glad I'm not getting the PC version. I'm sure they will try and find a way and do it for the console too.

I just hope they'll only do this for a couple of years or so, then, when they eventually shut down the servers, they'll release a patch or something which will allow people to play the game normally without an internet connection requirement.

Just when it looked like the trend was moving away from rediculous DRM, UBI goes and does this :mad:

This is one of the many reasons why i prefer getting my games on a console and not the PC. The whole DRM thing is just driving the masses to piracy. Ubisoft are about as much to blame as EA and Activision are, they've both been making great strides in annoying the gamerbase.

Demo will be out for the 360 on the 18th!

I bet you Ubisoft is gonna shaft PC gamers again by not releasing a demo. :(

Edit: This article gives me a bit more faith.

Splinter Cell: Conviction (Xbox 360 and PC) Demo release confirmed by Ubisoft
By: Alan Ng | March 15, 2010

We have some great news for Xbox 360 and PC owners looking to pick up Splinter Cell: Conviction now, as Ubisoft has just confirmed that a demo is on the way soon, allowing you to try before you buy.

As reported from Eurogamer, Ubisoft?s Creative Director Maxime B?lane confirmed the news in a recent Q&A interview.

They didn?t go into any more specifics on an exact date or details of the demo though, as Maxime added: ?Yes, there will be one. I can?t tell you what map or when it?s going to be released yet. My lips are sealed,?

Does that mean its a multiplayer demo as well? That would be even better, for sure. Let us know your thoughts on the news.

Last edited:
This boosted my faith even more! :D

(Xbox and PC) Splinter Cell: Conviction Demo Coming Thursday
by Jordan Kahn on March 16, 2010

Gamesppy confirmed today that the latest, upcoming installment in the Tom Clancy?s Splinter Cell franchise, Splinter Cell Conviction, would have a demo available through Xbox LIVE. Gamespy said Producer of the game, Alex Parizeau, confirmed that Xbox users will receive the demo on Thursday, March 18th and PC gamers will also gave access to the demo shortly after. Splinter Cell: Conviction is set for release exclusively on Xbox 360 and PC on April 13.

Producer Alex Parizeau about the demo, ?The biggest thing you?ll see when playing the demo is the change of pace,? Parizeau said. ?The stealth-action dynamic is fast paced and very different from the past.?

I don't mind waiting a bit longer, but at least they're releasing a PC demo! :D

Last edited:
this more than makes up for losing my job today. oddly enough when i was told i was being let go, my first thought was "well at least i'll be able to play the demo to Convcition earlier than i expected."

You lost your job? Bummer! Where did u work? I'm guessing this is a due to the recession thing eh, you can have my job if u like. I fucking hate every minute of it!!

You lost your job? Bummer! Where did u work? I'm guessing this is a due to the recession thing eh, you can have my job if u like. I fucking hate every minute of it!!

at a warehouse for WH Smiths, basically got called into the office today told "there's not enough work, we're going to have to let you go" and that was it. got shown the door and it was job over. Not overly concerned though since it wasn't a job i was planning on keeping. if i had found something better i would have been gone in a shot.
back on topic though, just played the demo to Conviction and absolutely loved it. I liked how they kept the cover/left trigger the same as from the Rainbow Six games. The demo doesn't reveal too much about the games plot but does enough to make me want the game even more. This is one definate must-buy for me now and its certainly cheered me up today!

from Penny Arcade
813762250_7Sg8T-L.jpg

If there is a bigger Splinter Cell fan than myself, I haven't yet met them; but in their zeal to promote the newest iteration, Ubisoft has caused Sam Fisher to tweet. And I don't mean they've made him chirp, which would be preferable. They've given him a Twitter account where he tweets in a supremely earnest way about how tormented his shit is.
This is something you've got to be very careful with. It's possible to make something like this work, but (ironically for a marketing maneuver) its connections to the "product" need to be largely oblique - it must manifest a more subtle objective. You can't have your game's protagonist posting screenshots, and he absolutely one hundred percent can't formulate a link to the game's promotional website(!!!).
It goes without saying that live status updates and furtive stalking may be deeply incompatible.
The demo for Splinter Cell: Conviction is a fascinating thought exercise, and one I would suggest you undertake. They've done the Ubisoft Thing, and you'll know what I mean, where in the course of trying to make something more streamlined they've managed to invent some new kind of complexity.
I've been trying to see what people think of it, on account of it being so weird, but there's one or two posts tops before the thread ceases to be about Splinter Cell and instead becomes a discussion about Ubisoft's DRM scheme. If it sounds like we're about to embark on another discussion of Digital Rights Management, we're not - though as a topic, it almost always warrants it. I mainly think it's sad that instead of engaging with some of the interesting ideas in their newest games (particularly the completely naked boardgame underpinnings of Ruse and Settlers) every discussion quickly struggles to include all the necessary genuflections. Ubisoft brought it on themselves, certainly. I just think DRM is less interesting, as a rule, than videogames.

played the demo last night (after eventually stumping up the ?40 for a years worth of live gold) and i cant wait to play this game! silent kills from the dark FTMFW!

I really enjoyed the demo. I only have one issue and it's a gun thing.

Automatic weapons don't continue to make the clicky sound when they go dry!

Beyond that, I really enjoyed it.

What ever you do, don't go on Ubi's forums about the game. Holy shit, what a bunch of fucking babies.

I really enjoyed the demo. I only have one issue and it's a gun thing.
Automatic weapons don't continue to make the clicky sound when they go dry!
Beyond that, I really enjoyed it.
What ever you do, don't go on Ubi's forums about the game. Holy shit, what a bunch of fucking babies.

see, now after reading that i have to go to those forums and just post in there "stop whining and go outside, you'll be introduced to a concept called a 'woman' and maybe learn a thing or two'."
the only issue i had was a targeting thing. i found that the targeting icon took a bit of a while to get used to. but other than that i found it to be near faultless. on top of that i am absolutely loving the sticky camera. that one little device would have sold me on the game if it hadn't been for everything else also completely selling it to me.
The game is reminding me a lot of Batman: Arkham Asylum. with the demo i find myself going back to checkpoints and going for the best line of 'stealth kills' and if i get seen or detected. its back to the checkpoint for me. This comes from Batman: AA where i had the same mentality and using the theory of "Batman can't be seen" whereas in this case its "sam fisher can't be seen until he snaps your neck from behind"
April can't come round quick enough.

Last edited: