Spray on clear bras?

thevictor390

Teen Wankeler
Car(s)
'17 Mazda MX-5 RF, '89 Toyota Blizzard SX5
This came up in a conversation with a friend, does anyone have any experience with spray on clear bras such as these?

http://www.chipmagic.biz/clear_bra.html

95% of my driving is highway so paint chips are an issue, but I hate the look and feel of normal clear bras. The chip magic is just a random example I found from Googling, I haven't heard of these until recently.

I got all excited then, but alas you disappoint me. We don't see those very often here, but I suppose that's the point.

Still, spray on clear bras, now there's an idea.

I recently found out about a material called Plasti-Dip, which is supposed to be something like a paint that becomes kind of vinyl-y once dry, so it can waterproof stuff (there's a video on youtube about someone plastidipping the inside of a cardboard box and making it waterproof) and also be removed almost like a vinyl sticker. http://www.plastidip.com/

People have tried making bras out of this, and I saw a forum post where it was successful. Here it is! This comes in some colors and in a clear version as well. This guy tried the black one on a Corvette, and seemed happy.

I read, though, that clear ones do not work as well cause they change colro and become yellow within a very short time... Dunno.

Of course there's other similar products, that may work better...

Plasti-dip is made for coating tool handles and other small parts. I would not recomend that at all.

Plasti-dip is made for coating tool handles and other small parts. I would not recomend that at all.

Yes that sounded strange to me too, I don't think it would go on anywhere near thin enough and I'm not surprised that it yellows over time.

Edit: Er, well, that Corvette actually looks pretty good. Maybe I should get the Disco's front bumper dipped. :think:

Last edited:
Thing is, I read smoewhere that you might need tons of plasti-dip to actually cover such large parts, so it might not be a smart idea... Still, it's possible :p

I don't think I would paint my car with it though tbh, mostly because I'm afraid it will (in some way) ruin the paint - haven't used it on anything yes so don't know how easily it can be peeled off.

No, I did not know it came in an aerosol can.

I got all excited then, but alas you disappoint me. We don't see those very often here, but I suppose that's the point.

Still, spray on clear bras, now there's an idea.

I too, was hoping it to be an NSFW thread that had got misplaced in the automotive section.:lol:

Inspired by this thread, I just used Plasti-DIP to put some stripes on my fender.
8X9LD.jpg

I saw some clear Plastic-DIP in the store, but it was double the price of the black stuff, so I didn't get it. I did notice it has a matte finish.

*arrives with some popcorn* alright! Finally a thread in the automotive section I like! Where's the bras?

Looks around....

Reads the above posts...

God damn you, god damn you all. *departs broken-hearted*

Inspired by this thread, I just used Plasti-DIP to put some stripes on my fender.
*snip*

I saw some clear Plastic-DIP in the store, but it was double the price of the black stuff, so I didn't get it. I did notice it has a matte finish.

That looks good, +rep for giving it a go. :)

I'm completely won over by this, it ticks all the boxes for something that I'd use (including 'sort of a bodge job' and 'little care required'), I'm even tempted to spray the scratchy grey plastic on the interior of the Disco, to give a nicer finish and a better colour.

The UK site lists all kinds of things, including Plastidip Camo. How the fuck would that work? Their site is sort of broken though, look at the page titles.

That looks good, +rep for giving it a go. :)

I'm completely won over by this, it ticks all the boxes for something that I'd use (including 'sort of a bodge job' and 'little care required'), I'm even tempted to spray the scratchy grey plastic on the interior of the Disco, to give a nicer finish and a better colour.

The UK site lists all kinds of things, including Plastidip Camo. How the fuck would that work? Their site is sort of broken though, look at the page titles.
If you want good, clean lines when you remove the tape, follow the instructions in this thread: http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/paint-body-work/1443836-plasti-dip-faq-pics.html

Also, check here. They may be able to ship to the UK. :)

Last edited:
I must say that simply put looks awesome. Vinyl wrapping a whole car is a (relatively) skilled art - but even I can see me managing stripes or wheels with this. And without the annoying prep to use paint. I'll definitely become addicted to that once I've got a car.

Or I could give the parents a surprise and improve their Volvo drastically. :lol: