Spreads

calvinhobbes

Forum Addict
DONOR
For those of you who eat breakfast, even occasionally, or enjoy a late-night treat every now and then: What's your favourite spread? Do you prefer it on toast or something else?

I'll start with something I recently discovered on a trip to Belgium:

Speculoospasta

speculoospasta.jpg

It is basically ground cookies mixed into a spread with vegetable oil. Simple, surely unhealthy and absolutely delicious. Nutella doesn't hold a candle to it.

I also love Lemon Curd, finally got around to making some myself this year. Homemade, it's a lot better than even the good quality stuff I used to buy.

So what about you?

Skippy Honey Roasted Siper Chunk peanut butter. Shame I can only find it in creamy now. :(

images

In before the Canadians!

This thread isn't in NSFW, yet "Whipped Cream" is. We of this forum have twisted priorities. :p

HUMUS!

Our fraternity chef got us a ton today from a Greek place around the corner. Regular humus, cilantro and jalapeno humus, hot pepper humus, roasted garlic humus, red pepper humus, olive humus, and a bunch of others. Soooo goood!

The only one I didn't like was the buffalo humus.

I do enjoy 'random animal' paste, which I know is made of bone, skin and toenail clippings.
...and you can never go wrong with pate.

Coming from a semi-middle eastern family, I work with spreads on a daily basis. Our fridge is probably half spreads. The kicker, however, is that I'm allergic to both chickpeas and sesame. That means no Hummus for me, even though the rest of my family eats it with nearly every meal. My mom makes a white bean based hummus analogue for me. We also have babaganoush, a multitude of red eggplant spreads etc. All of it goes on freshly stove burner-toasted pita.

On the sweet side we've got more spreads. In addition to the aforementioned speculoos, we've got homemade lemon curd and this:

DSC00854.JPG

it's israeli chocolate spread that is orgsmic and outsells nutella. I'm allergic to that so I don't know how it stacks up but it objectively tastes pretty damn special.

EDIT: Also Apple Butter. everyone loves apple butter.

I love peanut butter, but my flatmate is allergic to peanuts so we keep a peanut free kitchen. Which means visits to mum and dad are always marked with a slab of peanut butter on toast. peanut butter with anything...jam, honey, nutella, sweetened condensed milk, is really good!

Hummus is also a favourite, and cream cheese (like Philadelphia, not the cheese whiz type stuff).

And hot buttered toast with a scrape of Vegemite and some mashed avocado...yum!

Well you just have to:

marmite-yeast-extract-1x-600g-tub-1335-p.jpg

I'd like to hook up an IV and drip Marmite slowly into my veins.

How do you guys get it to spread easily, however? Any time I attack a piece of toast with Marmite it ends up looking like a voodoo doll of someone I hate. Do you dilute it with water, or...?

How do you guys get it to spread easily, however? Any time I attack a piece of toast with Marmite it ends up looking like a voodoo doll of someone I hate. Do you dilute it with water, or...?

:dunno: Buy proper bread?