[Spy] 2007 Audi R8 (Audi's first supercar)

Status
Not open for further replies.
the wheels look very lamborghinish :p

QupiX said:

don't forget this is just a test mule. the production versions will be different. lamborghini will be having a fair say in the development of this one, Audi wants to get it right.

had to add this from the old thread...

Black-with-Pink-Polka-Dots.jpg

^ :lol:

freerider said:
Sorry for the double post. Forgot about this one.
Thats aight...thanks for the piccys :)

No Boss said:
QupiX said:

hmm.... I wonder why. :roll:
Haha they like sharing parts alot it seems. How many manufactures in total does Audi own? Audi > Lambo/VW/Seat....hmmm can't think of anymore.

More pics from the Nurburgring + new CGI image
http://img65.imageshack.**/img65/5647/60603298small8kn.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/4351/60603299small7ce.jpg
http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/9510/60603291small8we.jpg
CGI
http://img85.imageshack.**/img85/761/6060329small9hm.jpg
Back in 2003, Audi awed spectators at the Frankfurt Motor Show with its LeMans Quattro concept car. Audi?s management decided to go ahead with a production version which will give Audi a high-performance sports car to compete with the Porsche 911 and Aston Martin V8 Vantage.

Now these latest photos capture a test prototype undergoing high-speed testing at Germany?s N?rburgring race course. The minimal disguise on the car, just a few bits of black tape on the headlights, some red tape on the tail, and a few white polka dots, give us a clear view of what the production model will look like. Overall design is nearly unchanged from the dramatic LeMans Quattro concept. The most noticeable difference is that the concept car?s futuristic LED headlights have been replaced by more conventional projector-beam lights, although the overall shape of the headlight area is the same. There is also some very minor reshaping of the grille, hood, and lower spoiler area in front. At the rear, the big change is the quad round tail-pipes, two on each side, instead of the concept vehicle?s twin pipes in the middle. The area around the license plate has also been subtly reshaped, although once again, the overall design is still intact.

The new sports car will not be called the LeMans, a name already used by Pontiac many years ago, but instead will stick with Audi?s typical alpha-numeric names and will be the R8. It is expected to go into production late this year, and will be launched in early 2007.

The R8 shares a version of the Lamborghini Gallardo's structural underpinnings and will come with a detuned version of the Gallardo's 5.0-litre V10, giving 450bhp, as well as the 420bhp V8 found in the RS4. This is to ensure that sales of the more expensive Gallardo will not be adversely affected. Audi hasn't announced pricing for the R8 as yet, but it will undercut the Gallardo by some margin. A starting point of around EUR 95,000 has been rumored.
www.worldcarfans.com

^According to this text, this Audi is aimed to compete against the likes of Aston Martin V8 Vantage and Porsche 911. That means it isn't a 'supercar' doesn't it.

Also, it comes with a detuned version of the Gallardo engine. Is it just me or are they putting that same engine in too many cars now. Its not special anymore.

I still love its looks though and I hope that interior stays exactly the same as in the concept :mrgreen:

Hmm, considering weight, maybe the RS4 V8 engined model will be the pick of the bunch? it would be just so right, clarkson has already suggested it to be one of the greatest engines ever made, add it to that sexy body and OMG!!

Looks way sweet in those newest pics. Not really liking the idea of a detuned engine to make it compete with the F430 and such, seems a bit underpowered for those looks. 95k for that kind of spec sounds superb tho.

Nice new pics of the R8 so undisguised! Looks pretty much the same as the Lemans concept which is a good thing. But is that two tone paint apart of final design do you think...

btw: I think they have plans of a biturbo model with over 600BHP...

freerider said:
SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
Haha they like sharing parts alot it seems. How many manufactures in total does Audi own? Audi > Lambo/VW/Seat....hmmm can't think of anymore.

Actually, VW owns Audi.

This is quite old, but you get the idea.

http://img69.imageshack.**/img69/2209/7a76223b4qg.th.gif

Edit: Comparison between test mule and concept

Johan
I've been looking for a diagram like that for ages!!
Porsche stands strong with 100% ownership :D
Samsung? Why are they included, they don't make cars :?

SL65AMG~V12~612BHP!!!!!!! said:
I've been looking for a diagram like that for ages!!

It's not 100% correct anymore. It's too old. (look at MG, Lotus,...)

And I don't know if they're going to build an 600hp version. They have to think about the competition with the gallardo (even though that's more murci territory). There are rumours about a V10 diesel version though. This is something I would love to see that. Think about the mpg you get, with mindblowing power.

Johan

yeah there are a lot of things wrong with that pic, like GM no longer has a stake in subaru, i believe toyota bought part of that, as has already been mentioned MG and Lotus, i also believe that Porsche now owns part of the VW group as well. GM has also completely bought out Daewoo. The GM/Fiat tie up is also over.

That front overhang is disgusting! :shock:

Audi always had the Strait of Gibraltar over the front wheels, but this takes the cake.

Otherwise, it looks terrific. Aggressive and sleek. (Even if the shape is like...a headcrab from Half-Life 2.) :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.