Spy Shot: Mercedes-Benz G-Class

Overheat

Forum Addict
The latest M-Class was unveiled at the Detroit Motor Show (January 2005), and the new G will make its debut later in the year. The military-issue G has always been M-B's answer to the Land Rover Defender, and was always a no-compromises off-roader with full separate chassis and go-anywhere abilities, though this next time around, it will be much-improved as a road car. Aimed more squarely at the Range Rover, it will - like the RR - now have a more car-like monococque (unibody) construction, with much of its underpinnings shared with the M-Class and upcoming R-Class luxury crossover vehicle. It will no longer be built by Steyr-Puch in Austria, but will come off the same production lines as the M and R in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, reflecting Mercedes' ambitions for the model in the US market. To be positioned further upmarket than the M-Class - and almost in Hummer territory - US price tags are expected to hit the $100,000 mark for the more powerful models, which will include a fully AMG-ed monster, probably with the new 6.5-litre engine as used in the S65 AMG saloon. A small number may be bought to the UK under special order, though these will be left-hand drive only and solely the reserve of those after a bit of Benz exclusivity.

Mercedes-G-Wagen-001.jpg
Mercedes-G-Wagen-002.jpg

Mercedes-G-Wagen-003.jpg
Mercedes-G-Wagen-004.jpg

Currently Listening To: This Place Is A Prison - The Postal Service - Give Up (2003)

would the hood stay the same? the front lights look agrassive, i like it

THose FUCKING idiots! (excuse my language)

There is a reason for the G-class to be named Gel?ndewagen (terrainvehicle) in the
earlier years. And now, their making it to be a big ML?! Congratulations Mercedes,
you just took away all of what was the charm about the G-class. Im so saddened by
these photos... It's a big bulgy blob of stupid SUV now.. :(

Look how low it is!?!? Arrr... :?

I like the old G-wagon.... :(

Its like something that won't get old, ever. And hammond was right...the g-wagon does fit in every environment...i've been thinking about it and the more i think the more i agree...

This has got nothing to do with the old G, which didn't even need a replacement. I hope this car flops big time. They'll probably find some morons who want this though. :yucky:

they ruined it :( fucking fuck

The question here is Why???? :cry:

The answer to that question is: Ignorance and capital.
They wrongly seem to think that this is what people will buy,
and yes, they will probably sell a couple of cars to rich
fools in the U.S for starters, but in the long run this
soulless crap of a lumpy SUV is NOT what we want..

It sucks, I want them to make the G forever, and make it unluxurious, no G55 either. True offroad vehicle, not a rich rapper's mobile

it looks like a bloody sssssssaaaang young :shock: !!like a cheapo korean plastic crap!!
man they dint change the"G" look fpr the past 20+yrs...i think i would rather buy an Isuzu Trooper!

thats why we don't like the new G-wagon... the old one is one of the coolest offroaders around... as Richard said... it just fits into any scenario and everywhere you go...

The new-generation G-Class will not, critics say, be a true Gelandewagen ("G-Wagen") like its Austrian-built military-issue predecessor.

This one's going to be built alongside the comfortable, luxury-limo R-Class crossover and family-moving M-Class in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, as it will share the same basic underpinnings. That means a car-like unibody structure, rather than separate body-on-frame construction, and an emphasis more on on-road refinement. It'll be the largest M-B 4x4, however, with seven seats and a cavernous interior. Engine options are said to include three new V8 petrols - a 325bhp 4.6, a 410bhp 5.5 and a 465bhp AMG-developed 6.3 - and two diesels, a 230bhp V6 and 300bhp V8. It will be launched at the Detroit Motor Show in January 2006, will production beginning soon after.

G-Class01.jpg
G-Class02.jpg

It kinda looks Landcruiser Japensesy from the back but generally speaking, it should be one powerfull car, though I was quite happy with the current model ;)

as others have said back in Feb up there ^^^^ this is just wrong wrong wrong, the G-Wagon is a legend, this stinks -booooo :thumbsdown:

Dark_Templer_102 said:
I've read somewhere in a magazine the new G-class is not a G-class its a GL or something like the ML...

well that's confusing since the ML is an M-class, but a GL wouldn't be a G-class??

in any case, it sure as hell ain't a G in spirit