Spy Shot: Mercedes S-Class S63 AMG (2006)

Overheat

Forum Addict
Just days after bringing you the first images of Mercedes? new S-Class, we caught a super high-performance S63 AMG version out hot-weather testing. The first clue to the fact that this is no ordinary ?S? is the two dual-pipe exhausts poking not-so-discreetly out the back. And at the front, note those extra air intakes below the bumper. They?re there in order to feed what will be a ferocious appetite for cooling and combustion air.

Just as well, as GermanCarFans.com reports that the 6.3-litre V8 lurking beneath the bonnet is a mighty powerplant, developing an awesome 510bhp and 465lb ft of torque, which Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine in the world. And unusually for a V8, the AMG engine develops peak power and torque at quite high 6800 and 5200rpm respectively, which is a characteristic more commonly associated with race-prepared V8s. This promises to be a sensational engine.

While this new aluminium V8 isn?t much more powerful than the current supercharged 5.5-litre AMG V8, power delivery should be more linear and predicable because it won?t rely on the boost delivered by turbo or superchargers, says Edmunds.com. The current S55 AMG accelerates to 62mph in 4.8secs and goes on to a top speed of 155mph ? we reckon the S63 will shave a couple of tenths off the sprint to 62mph and easily match the current car?s top speed (with seconds to spare).

We?ve already reported that the recently launched R-Class will gain AMG variants, with the current 5.5-litre engine on offer and the new 6.3 to follow later on. We also expect this advanced new V8 to make an appearance in the new M-Class, also recently launched.

05-s63-f3q-a.jpg
05-s63-f3q-st.jpg

05-s63grey-r3q-st.jpg
05-s63-r3q-a.jpg

Re: Spy Shot: Mercedes S-Class S63 AMG (2006)

Overheat said:
developing an awesome 510bhp and 465lb ft of torque, which Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine in the world.

eh? 510hp the most powerful naturally aspirated engine in the world? who are they kidding...

That car will be a friggin beast! I wonder if they will continue using those amazing AMG shadow chrome monoblock wheels they used on past "65" models....

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
That car will be a friggin beast! I wonder if they will continue using those amazing AMG shadow chrome monoblock wheels they used on past "65" models....

I thought you'd like it...

I?ve seen it uncovered in Stuttgart, Germany ... where they build it ...
don?t really like the new design :unsure:

Well that's the AMG version, only the AMG mods are covered up and you cant really guess them, so the cover makes sense I think.

fbc said:
Overheat said:
developing an awesome 510bhp and 465lb ft of torque, which Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine in the world.

eh? 510hp the most powerful naturally aspirated engine in the world? who are they kidding...

don't the DB9 and 612 Spaghetti produce more?

Leppy said:
fbc said:
Overheat said:

The 612 dose , and the Mclaren F1 is Naturally aspirated isnt it?

vRS said:
Leppy said:
fbc said:
Overheat said:

The 612 dose , and the Mclaren F1 is Naturally aspirated isnt it?

F1 was NA yes. The Carrera GT also produces more. I've no idea what MB are on about - unless they actual mean the most powerful *mass* production NA engine, or the most powerful mass production engine in a four sedan.

They certainly mean mass production, but they claim that the engine is hand assembled. But where does mass production start?

Overheat said:
510bhp and 465lb ft of torque, which Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine in the world.

Ferrari Enzo.
MC12.
Murcielago, Zonda, etc.

Maybe they mean the most powerful, limited to 155 NA engine in the world. :|

Yeah, that claim was for V8s only.

I really wish it was someone else who made the claim and not Mercedes <_<
I don't Mercs so don't take that comment to heart :p

http://img318.imageshack.**/img318/905/s631xt.jpg
Off the AMG website

No offense to MB fans but the rear of the S-Class looks Korean. (sth like a Hyundai as opposed to Daewoo or Kia)

i have a feeling i won't be liking any of the new merc series :(

fbc said:
well that's not what it said in the post:
Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine

No, but it was in the title.

No offense to MB fans but the rear of the S-Class looks Korean. (sth like a Hyundai as opposed to Daewoo or Kia)
Actually, the Korean companies always copied designs from Mercedes and the other european companies.

Salar said:
fbc said:
Mercedes claims makes this the most powerful naturally aspirated (no turbos, no superchargers) engine

No, but it was in the title

Where in this title is that mentioned: 'Spy Shot: Mercedes S-Class S63 AMG (2006)'

Anyway, the claim is being reported second hand, so who knows what on earth they really meant...

fbc said:
Salar said:
fbc said:

No, but it was in the title

Where in this title is that mentioned: 'Spy Shot: Mercedes S-Class S63 AMG (2006)'

Anyway, the claim is being reported second hand, so who knows what on earth they really meant...

Not the title of this thread, smart dude.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2050712.007/Mercedes-Benz/1.html

Title: Mercedes-AMG 6.3 Liter Naturally Aspirated V8 Unveiled

The World's Most Powerful Normally Aspirated Eight-Cylinder Engine Made by Mercedes-AMG