• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Spy Shot: Porsche 911 Targa

Overheat

Forum Addict
These pictures show a targa-top roof version of the 997-series 911 testing on the Nurburgring.

The 997 Targa is expected to make its debut in time for summer 2006; these pictures indicate that it will have a powered glass roof section which pops up and slides back.

The dual exhaust pipes of the car snapped show that it's got the hotter Carrera S engine (3.8-litre, 350bhp), though informants at the moment are unclear whether the Targa will be based upon the rear-wheel drive Carrera S or the upcoming four-wheel drive Carrera 4 - or if this roof option will be offered with both of these models.

Look close and you can spot the masking tape put around the rear quarterlights to give the impression of a rounded glass area as on the coupe version. On the Targa, this will taper to a point.

Porsche-911-Targa-001.jpg
Porsche-911-Targa-003.jpg

Porsche-911-Targa-005.jpg
Porsche-911-Targa-007.jpg

Yeh there was a thread about this car...the guy couldnt make a thread as good as you Overheat no matter how hard he tried :D . Personally, I cant see the diffrence between this and the 911..someone told me and I already forgot :lol:

Seriously just look at it, hardly a spy shot cos whats there to cover up :ph34r:

911 Targa, lol.

Its like the bastard child, technically part of the 911 family but not really.

I dont know who would buy one and why?

You buy one if you want to drive without roof, the targa is lighter and stiffer than the convertable and cheaper as well. It's a good option! :thumbsup:

Looks like they didn't quite get the targa roof to fit.. bit shabby how it doesn't quite seems to be even with the rest of the roof.

It just looks like a big sunroof as oppose to a real targa which doesnt have the pillars in the way like a Corvette or Ferrari 328 GTS, F355 GTS etc etc.

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Yeh there was a thread about this car...the guy couldnt make a thread as good as you Overheat no matter how hard he tried :D

Why ty SL65 :) I've just stuck on a load of Spy Shots that have been accumulating dust over the last month or two. What can I say? I need to live up to my title now :D

Re: Spy Shot: Porsche 911 Targa

Overheat said:
These pictures show a targa-top roof version of the 997-series 911 testing on the Nurburgring

Wow, it's like a whole new car, nothing like the OLD version of the 911, they must have spent a long time designing it, to make it look so different. :lol:

Porsche's 911 targa used to be a "real" targa, they took the cabriolet and added a hard (and for 2 years soft) back window, a roll bar and a removable top.

they did this from the '60s up until the 993 model (1994-98) when they introduced the big sunroof version (great, because by this time the frunk was too small to hold the removable roof. the problem with the 993 targa was that Porsche based it on the cabriolet still, so like all the previous versions, it leaked like a sieve (too flexible of a chassis) with the 996 (1999-2004), they based the targa on the coupe, and basically just enlarged the sunroof (akin to the sunroof in the 944's) giving the same rigid body as the coupe, but a great open air feel, and water tightness.

Ah, the 911 Targa: a 911 with a huge glass roof.

Ah, 911 Targa spy pics: a 911 with, well, a disguised huge glass roof. It's exactly what I imagined!

8)

mpulztracker said:
..er...is Porsche design hiring ? Looks like they might need some one :unsure:

like they always have, Porsche is less concerned with the look and more concerned with the performance. They have always let Ferrari and Lambo make the sexy cars, while they make the cars that perform better in the wind tunnels.

Germans = engineering
Italians = looks

albeit, i am a bit biased =)

I wish we could see what the 911 would look like if they kept the removable roof section instead of the huge window...
911 Targa, lol.

Its like the bastard child, technically part of the 911 family but not really.

I dont know who would buy one and why?
:x you couldnt be more incorrect, the Targa is absolutely a 911, It has been around as long as the 911 has, as a matter of fact, the Targa is the only bit of heritage left, because since the eighties the 911 has'nt been a 911, it has been a Carrera, so the Targa sticks to history lost. Furthermore, the Targa started a design revolution, now when a car has a removable hard top section, it is a Targa, Corvette coupes are called targas, as are Nissan 300ZX's (where applicable) so, the Targa isn't a bastard, Far from it, Targas were for people who liked open air motoring but liked the stiffness of a coupe, and that is what Targas were designed for and delivered. So, think about that, of my choice of 911's give me an older Targa Carrera, they IMHO are the Sexiest 911's of all.

VWKafer said:
Corvette coupes are called targas, as are Nissan 300ZX's (where applicable)
A Targa refers to the entire middle roof section being removed. The 300ZX is a T-Top instead; that is, it retains a structural brace in the center, with two side panels that can be removed. It's like a Targa, except stiffer.

BlaRo said:
VWKafer said:
A Targa refers to the entire middle roof section being removed. The 300ZX is a T-Top instead; that is, it retains a structural brace in the center, with two side panels that can be removed. It's like a Targa, except stiffer.

thats precisely the reason Porsche dropped the old targa design-too much torsional flexibility because it was based on the cabriolet not the coupe - "all the flex, half the air"

so they just switched (with the late '90s 996-based 911) to a coupe based targa. the reason for the sliding roof was simple - no room for stowing a removable in the boot. the one big benefit of the new targa design is the hatchback-it provides much more usable space than the old targa.

sandor_ said:
Germans = engineering
Italians = looks

In general, yes. But not Porsche 911. It is mostly about tradition. In 2005, engine in the rear isn't considered good engineering. They have done wonders with it, but it is simply not the best place to put the engine. It's probably only a matter of time rationality beats tradition (the same way water-cooling replaced air-cooling).

It's a good car though :thumbsup: Of course, not as good as the last air-cooled version, but good ;-)

sandor_ said:
BlaRo said:
VWKafer said:
thats precisely the reason Porsche dropped the old targa design-too much torsional flexibility because it was based on the cabriolet not the coupe - "all the flex, half the air"
Actually it was the other way around, Targa first then Cabriolet.

@BlaRo, Thats right, forgot about T-tops.