• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

Spy Shot: Porsche 911 Turbo

Overheat

Forum Addict
Our spies at the legendary Nurburgring road circuit caught up with the sensational new Porsche 911 (997) Turbo undergoing punishing trials in coupe and cabriolet form. Porsche tried to put snoops off the scent by making the car's nose look like the previous-generation Turbo (996), but it is clear that this is the Stuttgart maker's next supercar slayer. GermanCarFans.com reports that the next Turbo will sport 460bhp and go on sale in the UK in spring 2006. GermanCarFans also suggests that the new car's improved underbody aerodynamics and more efficient bi-plane style rear wing should result in a top speed well in excess of the current car's 191mph, although 4Car wonders for whom 191mph is not sufficiently swift. The Turbo will also adopt a new four-wheel drive system that allows power to be fed to the individual wheel with the most grip, handy when you've got an awesome 460lb ft of torque (twisting power) to call upon. Expect the price to be in the region of ?90,000.

911-Turbo-001.jpg
911-Turbo-002.jpg

911-Turbo-003.jpg
911-Turbo-004.jpg

911-Turbo-Cabrio-001.jpg
911-Turbo-Cabrio-002.jpg

911-Turbo-Cabrio-003.jpg
911-Turbo-Cabrio-004.jpg

these are ancient...and from my understanding, they were 997s (NA ones) who were made to look like turbos to hide the new vents and the wider body. I dont think this is the new 997 Turbo

leif said:
these are ancient...and from my understanding, they were 997s (NA ones) who were made to look like turbos to hide the new vents and the wider body. I dont think this is the new 997 Turbo

Actually they were taken on Thursday :)

hmm, as far as I know, the air intakes are going to stay the same, but I may be wrong.
I guess it looks different, and if that really is the new 911 turbo, it has as much change in it as all of the other new porsche models (minimal at best).
Kind of reminds me of the 24.10.2004 episode of top gear, when Jeremy supposedly took the old 911 by mistake.

Overheat said:
leif said:

Actually they were taken on Thursday :)

Hmm.. Really - didn't think that the weather was that good on Thursday. It started snowing on Thursday.

:oops:

See this video though: http://www.iudex.net/daten/Videos/911Turbo.wmv

if these were taken on thursday how come the exact same pictures are in my "GT Purely Porsche" magazine from 2004?

edit...

the pictures are from the 'ring...last i checked it wasnt that nice in germany (forcasts say it was 0c in neueremberg thursday...and raining...) yet...im 99% positive this is a disguised 997...or at best a 996 turbo cab.

Leif,

The pics are definitely from the ring. As the URL clearly states, they are currently hosted over at Channel 4's spyshot pages.

Neueremberg is not near Nurburg, by the way. It's famous for a different motoring facility. :)

Watch the video and make up your mind.

I watched the video, based on the foliage, i think it was shot in the summer, and the fact that the video changes between the "997 turbo" and what is obviously a boxster coupe (the car towards the end) makes me think this is testing of the 997 Carrera and 987 coupe. not the testing of a 997 turbo.

what the ring looks like now
41579173.Viperchasecam2.jpg

Ill find the exact issues, but the porsche magazines i subscribe to have been showing those exact pictures since before porsche released its "official" 997 pictures. if you look at some of them, the rear wheel is about 1.5 inches from the lip of the fender...making me beleive this is not a wide body car, but a narrow bodied carrera made up to look like a turbo...since you couldnt hide the shape of the 997 any other way

911-Turbo-Cabrio-001.jpg

Porsche managed to hide the car pretty well and made it look very similiar to the current 911 Turbo so people won't notice, if you look closely at the headlamps, there is a cover to make the lights look like the previous generation lights,

911 Turbo ... would that be your choice?

I think the DB9, Gallardo, F430, SL55/CL55 AMG falls into the same price range right?

Hmm ... can't decide which one I want. But can't say turbo is the one.

out of the ones you listed, I would buy the 911 Turbo over it, the only one which makes me doubt to choose the 911 turbo over is the F430,

The only ones on that list that are really close to the price of a 911 Turbo are the Mercedes and the DB9, in the US at least. The Gallardo and F430 are USD$40k more than the Turbo. To be honest though, I'd take any of them! :D

I think that the 911s and AMGs would be the most practical and least tempremental.

hmm...the back arch...it reminded me of chrysler crossfire somehow. you know, a dog doing #2. >_>

i wish they would lose the oddly shaped headlamps, and stick with the round ones. they work better with the car's overall shape, imo.

plus the 911 and the AMG mercs are the only ones where you can drive everyday and not hope it breaks down for no reason and spend thousands of dollars trying to fix it

not feeling them wheels

looking closely at the covered up 911 pictures... I have a feeling it isn't a 911 Turbo, does anyone else see a Targa 911... if I recall, no 911 has ever been a Targa.... btw I just noticed in the same pics, both sets of rims are different :lol: