Spy Shots: 2011 Jeep Wrangler to get color-matched hardtop?

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
I hope that for the faithful's sake this is at least an option. I know some people liked the soft-top.

Source: The Toledo Blade via Autoblog

As the most iconic model from a certifiable American institution such as Jeep, it comes as little surprise that every new version of the venerable Wrangler (or CJ if you happen to remember Carter's presidency) causes pangs of distress from Jeep's loyal fanbase. Still, from the square headlights of the original Wrangler YJ to the coil springs of the Wrangler TJ and finally ? and easily the most egregious of all in our eyes ? the loss of the stalwart 4.0 HO inline-six in favor of the 3.8-liter V6 from a minivan in the latest JK, the Wrangler has continued to sell.

That doesn't seem likely to change for 2011, either. From what we can tell from these few spy shots that were snapped at the Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, the biggest external change to the next Wrangler is the inclusion of a color-matched hardtop. This is definitely not a bad thing. We can only hope that the next significant alteration to the tried-and-true off-roader-for-the-masses model includes a new drivetrain. Pentastar V6, please, along with automatic and manual transmissions with six forward ratios each.

Last edited:

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
Seeing that they have color-matched fender flares, I'd say that'll be Saraha model only.

I've always said that the Wrangler needs a fixed-roof option. Those photos only confirm my feelings.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso, GL1000
People have been color matching hard tops for years.

It's about time the factory offered them that way.

Boomhower

Car(s)
2000 Trans am WS6
if your gonna own a wrangler it should be a soft top with half doors thats how i feel about it and i agree with the fact that it needs a new powertrain the mini van v6 sucks

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'13 Moto Guzzi V7, '08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
They need a new 4.0L...

Eunos_Cosmo

Forum Addict
Car(s)
'84 Mazda RX7, '12 Mazda 2, '99 Porsche Boxster
Reminds me of the G-wagon. I like Jeeps...they are just simple and fun. Not to be confused with comfortable...ha

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
Yeah, the 3.8L is far from the worst engine in the world. My family used to have a 97 Chrysler minivan with that motor and it held up great. It has plenty of power for regular use. Just because it came from a minivan doesn't mean it's shit.

laxmax613

Car(s)
Merkavim Mars
I've always said that the Wrangler needs a fixed-roof option. Those photos only confirm my feelings.
if you lived in israel..... and served in the IDF...

EDIT: there's a JK-based version too, but i can't find a pic.

2Billion

Car(s)
'10 Toyota Matrix XR
It's officially the only vehicle that looks good in beige.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
It is my impression that the body-colored hard top is only going to be on the Sahara trim package that already has painted fenders, different interior colors, and a softer ride.

The rest will get the standard black plastic - as it should be. The down side is the interior redesign is very un-Jeep.

2Billion

Car(s)
'10 Toyota Matrix XR
As long as it still has drains in the floor.

Though, actually, if Chrysler's parts bin is improving it's inevitable that it would carry over to the Wrangler interior. No sense designing too many unique fittings for it.

Last edited:

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I always liked the Yj interior, with the gauges all across the dash.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 Nissan XTerra Off Road, 00 VFR800, 07 ST1300
I just think that the styling on the new dash will look dated quickly. All the rounded molded plastics (especially on the lower panel of the center stack) already looks like it was lifted out of the 90s to me.

JipJopJones

Car(s)
1979 Cressida Wagon, 1981 Corolla Hardtop
I sthat your dash?

It's missing the smiling robot underneath the oil/volt gauges.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
DONOR
Car(s)
Nope, that is a google dash. I have a custom radio fill plate with a driving light switch in my dash.