Spy Shots: 2011 Jeep Wrangler to get color-matched hardtop?

Aiolos

Car(s)
2005 Toyota Rav4 :-/ (Mom's)
I hope that for the faithful's sake this is at least an option. I know some people liked the soft-top.

Source: The Toledo Blade via Autoblog

As the most iconic model from a certifiable American institution such as Jeep, it comes as little surprise that every new version of the venerable Wrangler (or CJ if you happen to remember Carter's presidency) causes pangs of distress from Jeep's loyal fanbase. Still, from the square headlights of the original Wrangler YJ to the coil springs of the Wrangler TJ and finally ? and easily the most egregious of all in our eyes ? the loss of the stalwart 4.0 HO inline-six in favor of the 3.8-liter V6 from a minivan in the latest JK, the Wrangler has continued to sell.

That doesn't seem likely to change for 2011, either. From what we can tell from these few spy shots that were snapped at the Jeep factory in Toledo, Ohio, the biggest external change to the next Wrangler is the inclusion of a color-matched hardtop. This is definitely not a bad thing. We can only hope that the next significant alteration to the tried-and-true off-roader-for-the-masses model includes a new drivetrain. Pentastar V6, please, along with automatic and manual transmissions with six forward ratios each.

2011-wrangler-spy-1279648152.jpg

2011-wrangler-unlimited-spy.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting...but I'd need to see it in other colors. In glossy white, it just looks like a mail delivery truck.

Seeing that they have color-matched fender flares, I'd say that'll be Saraha model only.

I've always said that the Wrangler needs a fixed-roof option. Those photos only confirm my feelings.

People have been color matching hard tops for years.

It's about time the factory offered them that way.

if your gonna own a wrangler it should be a soft top with half doors thats how i feel about it and i agree with the fact that it needs a new powertrain the mini van v6 sucks

They need a new 4.0L...

Reminds me of the G-wagon. I like Jeeps...they are just simple and fun. Not to be confused with comfortable...ha

Yeah, the 3.8L is far from the worst engine in the world. My family used to have a 97 Chrysler minivan with that motor and it held up great. It has plenty of power for regular use. Just because it came from a minivan doesn't mean it's shit.

It's officially the only vehicle that looks good in beige.

It is my impression that the body-colored hard top is only going to be on the Sahara trim package that already has painted fenders, different interior colors, and a softer ride.

The rest will get the standard black plastic - as it should be. The down side is the interior redesign is very un-Jeep.

https://pic.armedcats.net/b/bl/blind_io/2010/08/21/jp011013wr.jpg

As long as it still has drains in the floor.

Though, actually, if Chrysler's parts bin is improving it's inevitable that it would carry over to the Wrangler interior. No sense designing too many unique fittings for it.

Last edited:
I always liked the Yj interior, with the gauges all across the dash.

images

I just think that the styling on the new dash will look dated quickly. All the rounded molded plastics (especially on the lower panel of the center stack) already looks like it was lifted out of the 90s to me.

I sthat your dash?

It's missing the smiling robot underneath the oil/volt gauges.

IMGP2940.jpg

Nope, that is a google dash. I have a custom radio fill plate with a driving light switch in my dash.