Spyshots: Toyota LandCrusier 100

Kebab gud

Yes.. finaly toyota is replacing the Land crusier 100
Its never been a good looking car but that dosent count when you hold the record for car that has explored the most of the world or some shitt like that

anyway .. here it is
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/13/spy-shots-toyota-land-cruiser

(notice that the high-low thingi has been replace by electronics and that it has 7 seats)

Not sure about that rear but everything else looks pretty good. Any idea on engines?

Front looks good but the rear looks like a bloated Touareg. The landcruiser should look as incognito as possible without looking bland. The 80-series did this very well.

http://img78.imageshack.**/img78/2249/beagledscf0glc1axo4.jpg

bartboy9891 said:
Front looks good but the rear looks like a bloated Touareg. The landcruiser should look as incognito as possible without looking bland. The 80-series did this very well.

My family has one of those, the Inline six version. Good engine.

Pictures from the Autoblog link:
landcruiserspy13.jpg

landcruiserspy.jpg

landcruiserspy14.jpg

landcruiserspy11.jpg

landcruiserspy9.jpg

landcruiserspy2.jpg

landcruiserspy15.jpg

And the 80's LCs were among the most badass SUVs ever. I respect Landies, even the current bloated ones used in America for Stop and Shop tours, because people elsewhere actually use them for getting in and out of messy situations. For example, they're everywhere in Lhasa Tibet, and outnumber the old VW taxis there. It's heartwarming to see SUVs used for their proper purpose.

And that brings us to the new one: the old LCs were designed to be functional over stylish, as with most old SUVs. Modern technology has allowed more style into everything, so how do you make a new legendary SUV look functional yet stylish at the same time? It's a fine line to tread, and a potentially costly mistake at that.

And the interior looks brilliant. Not just because it's a Toyota, but because they don't have the weird shapes and crappy fake aluminum silver paint on them. Ugh.

no word on engines yet
but i suspect maybe the new 5liter V8 at the top and 4liter V6 at the bottom
with Hopfully an all new diesel for europe and explorers
lets hope they finally come out with a V8 diesel this time

bartboy9891 said:

Hear! Hear! That's the same model my dad owns and it's a great vehicle. The problem I have with the new cruisers is that they are too bloated with "luxury" crap. The tail lights are goofy looking and all those bulging plastic lenses are just asking to be shattered.

The 80-series was a perfect design, it just needed a V8 for better accleration and some larger brakes that last a bit longer. The body design is perfect for offroading with smooth cuves front and back with few places to get snagged on brush and branches. It always cracks me up when I see people put "brush guards" on the tail lights of Land Cruisers (or any SUV) - how often are you backing up through brush? Those wimpy little "yuppie bars" are just something else for the trees to grab and rip off.

But I digress. I like the front end of the new Crusier, except for the bulging plastic headlight lenses, the back end looks like it's wearing a bustle. The shot from under the car certainly looks like the underside of the FJ80, right down to the exhaust routing. The only thing I notice that has changed is the front end is independent - but it's been that way for a while. I think the FJ80 was the last with a live front axel.

The interior looks like it updates the traditional Land Cruiser look without loosing the overall feel.

Kebab gud said:
no word on engines yet

I would like to see a diesel for the US as well and maybe a V6 diesel for the FJ. I'm not sure you even need a V8 diesel for a vehicle this size, a six with a turbo would probably be more than enough to move the Land Cruiser around and would be better suited for low speed crawling than a petrol engine. Deisels run much hotter than petrol engines so for crawling speed you would have to really beef up the cooling system to keep the heat of a deisel V8 under control. Given the option of a V8 petrol or a V6 turbo diesel on a Land Cruiser I would be much more likely to go with the diesel.

oh no they are killing the land cruiser :eek:

Killing the Landcruiser? How? In what way?

This is just another Landie, little bit of an evolutionary styling change, I'll bet that engines won't change too dramatically from the 100. But otherwise it looks just as big, just as functional and just as capable as the 100.

I would hardly say they are killing it, at least no more than it already was with the FJ100. Under all that luxury bloat it's still a rugged truck with the capability to do just about anything offroad, assuming you scrape off all the excess body kits and running boards first.

The running boards on that aren't really going to hinder you when the going gets tough...

They got the design a bit wrong with this Landcruiser because look at those cheap plastic light covers they have on the front and that big fat Korean style grill with chrome all around it. Thats not very Landcruiser-ish.

I much prefer those simple designs of the past, they work better. I wouldn't mind an FJ Cruiser thing though....looks pretty cool :)

Doesn't look too bad at all - apart from the D-pillar being a bit too think. Evolutionary Landcruiser styling if you ask me - and there's nothing wrong with that.

Blind_Io said:
bartboy9891 said:

/quote]

Hear! Hear! That's the same model my dad owns and it's a great vehicle. The problem I have with the new cruisers is that they are too bloated with "luxury" crap. The tail lights are goofy looking and all those bulging plastic lenses are just asking to be shattered.

The 80-series was a perfect design, it just needed a V8 for better accleration and some larger brakes that last a bit longer. The body design is perfect for offroading with smooth cuves front and back with few places to get snagged on brush and branches. It always cracks me up when I see people put "brush guards" on the tail lights of Land Cruisers (or any SUV) - how often are you backing up through brush? Those wimpy little "yuppie bars" are just something else for the trees to grab and rip off.

But I digress. I like the front end of the new Crusier, except for the bulging plastic headlight lenses, the back end looks like it's wearing a bustle. The shot from under the car certainly looks like the underside of the FJ80, right down to the exhaust routing. The only thing I notice that has changed is the front end is independent - but it's been that way for a while. I think the FJ80 was the last with a live front axel.

The interior looks like it updates the traditional Land Cruiser look without loosing the overall feel.

Kebab gud said:
no word on engines yet

I would like to see a diesel for the US as well and maybe a V6 diesel for the FJ. I'm not sure you even need a V8 diesel for a vehicle this size, a six with a turbo would probably be more than enough to move the Land Cruiser around and would be better suited for low speed crawling than a petrol engine. Deisels run much hotter than petrol engines so for crawling speed you would have to really beef up the cooling system to keep the heat of a deisel V8 under control. Given the option of a V8 petrol or a V6 turbo diesel on a Land Cruiser I would be much more likely to go with the diesel.

didn't you get the V8 version in the states? I remember my aunt had the Toyota Landcruiser V6 one in the states and her friend had the Lexus LX470 V8 one. It was exactly the same outside, just a different engine and it says Lexus LX470 at the back on top of the license plate instead of Toyota Landcruiser.

I don't mind it, and I've always liked the Landies. They can get you in and out of everything. I wonder it there's going to be a five seat version with a slightly thinner D-pillar, that just looks a bit wierd.

flyingfridge said:
Killing the Landcruiser? How? In what way?

This is just another Landie, little bit of an evolutionary styling change, I'll bet that engines won't change too dramatically from the 100. But otherwise it looks just as big, just as functional and just as capable as the 100.
what I meant is that they are ruining the style, land cruiser has to be muscular this looks like a Rav4

flyingfridge said:
The running boards on that aren't really going to hinder you when the going gets tough...

Maybe not where you go! Rocker rails are there to take a beating, but running boards are not designed for impact. They stick out and tend to snag rocks and lower the clearance at the rocker pannel significantly.