SSD? Anyone?

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
an SSD isn't THAT much more than a Raptor...
Cost aside, an SSD is a lot better than a Raptor.
Quiet. Really quiet. Actually, minus twenty dB or more (less?).
Faster. Both with linear reads and (especially) random access. Dunno bout linear writing, depends on the SSD I guess.

I paid 160ish for my 60G SSD, a random check at alternate says 115 for a 74G VelociRaptor. About 70% price, 5000% the random access time. Go for the SSD.

Dr.Kamiya

Car(s)
2007 Impreza WRX, 2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Don't have one yet, but I'm planning to get one when I upgrade to Win 7.

NecroJoe

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2015 Mazda 3 S GT, 2015 VW e-Golf
They've been around for years making memory and flash cards. But yeah... Mong's Travel Dog comes standard with a Calvary Storage Pelican. :p

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Bulgogi Knedliky 1.6 GDI (Hyundai i30)
Holy crap SSD's are expensive! I paid half of what it retails for now for mine :D

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
I paid half of what it retails for now for mine :D
Same here, even though it wasn't half. Bought it in July for 30? less (or over 15%) than current cheapest price. I guess demand has risen recently :lol:

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2006 E87 BMW 130i RHD
Go OCZ or Intel, you won't be disappointed.

Even though there is a slight price increase on these SSDs, it's just a mere reflect of DDR2's pricing inflation. SSD is becoming more and more popular, I can never imagine myself going back to the traditional HDDs ever again.

NooDle

Ik ben niet alleen lekker met kaas!
Car(s)
VW eGolf
*bigger e-penis
*pulls more fanny than your average IDE hdd
*faster boot-up & shut-down speed
*noiseless
*applications takes 1/10 of the time to load/exit
Bah, apps are slow anyway, my PC is noisy already, and I don't care about boot up/shutdown speed. I mean srsly, who stays and watches their computer shutdown? I just hit the button, turn the screen off and leave.

I would like an SSD in my netbook though, mostly because they use almost no power and are super quiet... but IMO they're still too small and too expensive.

Lemme know when you can get a 200GB one for 100?, then I'm interested

NooDle

Car(s)
VW eGolf
^ no, having a 3 yr old PC with just 2GB of RAM has something to do with that

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Your RAM is blisteringly fast compared to your mechanical storage.

narf

Sgt. Maj. Buzzkill
DONOR
Car(s)
'16 VW The Beetle Cabrio
^ no, having a 3 yr old PC with just 2GB of RAM has something to do with that
2G ram is fine for almost every app. And if 2G ram is not enough, things will get paged to your mechanical disk. Access time for ram? Maybe ten nanoseconds. Access time for mechanical disks? 10-15 milliseconds, or 10-15 million nanoseconds - about a million times slower. On top of that paging to disk will decrease performance for every other disk I/O operation.
If on the other hand you had your page file on an SSD, your access times would be in the 0.1ms region, or one hundred thousand nanoseconds, or just ten thousand times slower than ram, or one hundred times faster than mechanical drives. Other disk I/O won't suffer as much, because there is no read/write head bouncing around to satisfy multiple requests at once.

If only there was a simple way to test your setup with mechanical drives vs your setup with SSD drives you'd be amazed.

Matt2000

Disco Stu-pour
DONOR
Car(s)
'01 Disco 2 V8, '90 Disco 1, '05 Smart Roadster
I'm perfectly happy with magnetic drives and RAID0 at the moment. 157MB/s is very impressive but I think my striped pair clocks 110MB/s or thereabouts.

NooDle

Car(s)
VW eGolf
2G ram is fine for almost every app. And if 2G ram is not enough, things will get paged to your mechanical disk. Access time for ram? Maybe ten nanoseconds. Access time for mechanical disks? 10-15 milliseconds, or 10-15 million nanoseconds - about a million times slower. On top of that paging to disk will decrease performance for every other disk I/O operation.
If on the other hand you had your page file on an SSD, your access times would be in the 0.1ms region, or one hundred thousand nanoseconds, or just ten thousand times slower than ram, or one hundred times faster than mechanical drives. Other disk I/O won't suffer as much, because there is no read/write head bouncing around to satisfy multiple requests at once.

If only there was a simple way to test your setup with mechanical drives vs your setup with SSD drives you'd be amazed.
I'm not saying it won't be quicker! I'm just saying that I won't notice it that much, and I don't mind the little 0,1 sec wait anyways

AiR

Forum Addict
Car(s)
BUT I DONT WANNA!
Give them your money. What are you going to do with money? Buy food? Nobody likes you. You don't need food. You need a SSD-drive. Then all people will love you. Everyone will be impressed. "There goes the man with the huge penis" they'll say. And everyone will want to have sex with you. Consume. Consume. Consume.

NooDle

Car(s)
VW eGolf
:lmao: someone +rep AiR for me?
I've run out of SSD's I can give him