SSD - Worth my money?

MadCow809

Forum Addict
Right, so I've been thinking about buying an SSD ever since non-JMicron drives became the mainstream of MLC drives. Problem is, the price is still too steep for my liking. It's about $150 for an OCZ Vertex 30gb, which is $50 more than a Seagate 7200.12 1Tb. And since I'm running out of hdd space very quickly, a third Tb drive shouldn't be a bad idea.

Really, I would like to hear some suggestions on this. Is it worth my money buying an SSD right now?

I would say no, you could probably run a RAID configuration for about the same price but with way more space. Just my two cents.

Give it a two years (for double the capacity and half the price), then start looking into them. Right now, you're so much better off buying two standard hard drives and mirroring them, you'll have massive space and redundancy with less cost.

I feel weak guys.

I just bought 3 x SSDs cos I saw them on a newegg special : ( $119 for 30gb instead of the normal $149. The deal was too good to pass, so I ordered 3 straight away.

Well actually, two of the SSDs will be brought back to SA since they belong to a friend of mine (he paid for them), I will let you guys know how it turns out when the stuff arrives.

Thanks

I almost jumped on that deal as well, but I just can't afford to be buying things right now.

I wouldn't mind replacing the HD in my laptop with an SSD for durability reasons, but at the moment I see no point switching over to a SSD on my desktop.

There is no point to SSD's for the average user really, unless you're rich. The only real advantage they have is speed, so you'd use it for your C: drive.

I'd personally rather have 34 times the space (1TB vs. 30gb) than a little extra speed. Who cares if Windows takes an extra 15 seconds to load?

SSDs are silly fast...but they are small. For anyone who has the money to invest in them solely for the OS and maybe the Program Files are awesome. I would if i could. For the rest of us as Nabster said, give it two (maybe three) years.

19052009217.jpg

19052009218.jpg

There, 3 x OCZ Vertex SSD 30Gb and a Silverstone SG02-F case, I got a spare G31 board, chuck in my Q6600 and 4gb ram, I'm thinking of taking this whole pc back to SA with me. Shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

No way. It got taken out by a single A-Wing. You're better off with a bunch of ISDs for the same price.

There is no point to SSD's for the average user really, unless you're rich. The only real advantage they have is speed, so you'd use it for your C: drive.

I'd personally rather have 34 times the space (1TB vs. 30gb) than a little extra speed. Who cares if Windows takes an extra 15 seconds to load?

Got that covered too

21052009219.jpg

New Seagate SATA 1Tb drives - 7200.12 x 2

And SSD seriously speed your OS up by a lot, it is by far the best upgrade I've gotten for my pc.

And SSD seriously speed your OS up by a lot, it is by far the best upgrade I've gotten for my pc.

And probably the most expensive upgrade for your PC too.

Yeah, SSDs are really great as boot drives and OS drives. I think an ideal situation would be to use SSD drives for programs and other stuff that OS has to load from time to time, and then to use traditional HDDs for data storage.

Yeah, SSDs are really great as boot drives and OS drives. I think an ideal situation would be to use SSD drives for programs and other stuff that OS has to load from time to time, and then to use traditional HDDs for data storage.

Yup, pretty much what I'm using it for atm.

C:\ - SSD

and 4Tb of storage space on my traditional hdds. :mrgreen: