Star Trek Online

Got my beta code last night. I'm optimistic.

And the Briar Patch mission will drive you crazy.

i went past the crazy starting line years ago, i should feel right at home then. i'm not sure to make of the servers though. on one hand i'm glad to see that the game is active and lots of people are staying with it but at the moment i just wish that i could play it for a few minutes without any bugs so i could get a real feel for the game. As stupid as it sounds.

You might wanna wait for the final version then.

well i've pretty much spent most of the day on the game and aside from a few glitches here and there. the game handled fairly well. After my first group run through, it becomes clear that the majority of the fun in this game is going to be from big ass space battles. Having seen a few of the next tier ships as well it does look like the combat is going to be getting on a bigger scale. Still learning as things go and as usual with any MMORPG, when the game fails, its not down the game itself but the people playing it. the amount of times i've heard a bunch of drama queens harping on about how people aren't playing fair or unable to play a lot of the content.
another thing i've noticed is the music. most normally i tend to switch the music off in mmorpg games, in this case i've found it to be perfectly balanced with the gameplay, it doesn't stand out but it doesn't get in the way of the game either. well except for one part where it seems to go into klingon opera mode.

at what level do you get the cruiser? i'm still stuck with my newbie ride at the moment. also if the cruiser is a beast, i don't even want to know what the higher tier ships are.

You get the cruiser at lvl 11 (or 10?) which translates to lt.cdr grade 1. So first you need to level up through all the liutenant grades.

Anyway I agree with you completely on the music. Most times I turned it off in EVE, but here it seems sorta familiar and appropriate, obviously coz it's very similar to what's in the modern ST series. It is getting a bit old now about 10-20 hours into the game, especially the klingon opera part, but I still haven't turned it off. The main thing that saves the music is you go very quickly from one type of situation to other, all of which have their own music.

You might wanna give ground combat another few chances to redeem itself, I found it quite fun after I got a nice weapon (phaser rifle) and changed the controls to my liking.

You get the cruiser at lvl 11 (or 10?) which translates to lt.cdr grade 1. So first you need to level up through all the liutenant grades.

Anyway I agree with you completely on the music. Most times I turned it off in EVE, but here it seems sorta familiar and appropriate, obviously coz it's very similar to what's in the modern ST series. It is getting a bit old now about 10-20 hours into the game, especially the klingon opera part, but I still haven't turned it off. The main thing that saves the music is you go very quickly from one type of situation to other, all of which have their own music.

You might wanna give ground combat another few chances to redeem itself, I found it quite fun after I got a nice weapon (phaser rifle) and changed the controls to my liking.

yeah i was lucky enough to get my hands on a big ass rifle that does spreading damage. needless to say i was very happy with ground combat after that point. give me a huge gun and i'm easily pleased.

Got to level 11, stopped playing beta after got a new ship. A fine MMO, kind of a mix of SWG and EVE, but simpler, in a way.
Takes patience, nerdiness and a lot of "me-time" to kill.

Sadly crafting and a few other features were disabled in beta.

I've been holding back on the grinding, seeing as though, like in all betas, everyone's gonna lose their chars.

Sorry it took me this long to get pics. I went with an Excelsior style lower hull with new Excalibur (refitted Constitution) the rest of the way.

68hu7t.jpg

e5o5xg.jpg

2zrhslu.jpg

1057794.jpg

2i8gd3k.jpg

Ummm... Captain... I know you told me NEVER to hit the big red button. You see, I took it as a suggestion, sorry.

dlm7h5.jpg

Ummm... Captain... I know you told me NEVER to hit the big red button. You see, I took it as a suggestion, sorry.

somewhere in that ship, there's probably a engineer yelling. "I cannae do it cap'n. I don' have the powa!"

^ what the deuce? time travel??

on a side note... they save every landing you can walk away from is a good landing...

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 74
It's part of a mission. It goes back to a very popular TOS episode. And good catch on the time travel, it does happen here.

hmm, the more i play this game the more i like it. hope there's not too much time travel. when it comes to that stuff i'm like O'Neill and makes my head hurt.

Nah, I don't think they will do it too often. It's a mission put in to really grab the Trek crowd.