Star Trek: The General Discussion

Random question without reading more than this page: Are there any rumors of new ST projects out there? Anything in planning? A new movie? Maybe even - I am probably dreaming here - a new series? :) I could use some proper SciFi to watch again. Been a while..

Only the sequel to J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie.

Yes, remember that leaked photos show Benedict Cumberbatch on set in a fight scene with Spock. Cumberbatch is playing the main villain of the sequel and is still rumoured to be Khan (character name not yet confirmed).

After the ratings failure of Enterprise, Rick Berman decided to let the ST TV franchise lay fallow for a while and give it a rest, presumably a 10 year window or so before restarting it. Interestingly, Enterprised aired from 2001-2005. Its almost a decade!

After the ratings failure of Enterprise, Rick Berman decided to let the ST TV franchise lay fallow for a while and give it a rest, presumably a 10 year window or so before restarting it. Interestingly, Enterprised aired from 2001-2005. Its almost a decade!

I guess once they did some more world-building for the parallel universe "reboot" Trek, they'll spin off a TV series from the films.

And for those of us preferring the original continuity, there's always ST: Phase II. It may be fan-made, but it has D.C. Fontana and Eugene Roddenberry Jr. as consultants, so it is as close to the real deal as we'll ever get.

Last edited:
I guess once they did some more world-building for the parallel universe "reboot" Trek, they'll spin off a TV series from the films.

The developing of a new TV series based on this reboot movie continuity has been discussed by many in the past year or so, but since nothing official is in pre or production yet, it is technically not yet 'news'.

http://geektyrant.com/news/2012/4/20/new-star-trek-tv-series-could-happen-after-next-movie.html

I think it's safe to say that one day we'll see a new Star Trek series on TV, and Bryan Fuller (Pushing Daises, Heroes) and filmmaker Bryan Singer have been discussing ways to bring it back. If anyone can get it back on TV it's these two guys. In a recent interview with EW, Fuller said that if the series is going to happen, it will happen after the big screen sequel that J.J. Abrams is currently creating.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2012/04/could-a-new-star-trek-tv-series-be-on-the-horizon

http://trekmovie.com/2012/06/25/orc...v-show-rules-out-some-sequel-characters-more/

Bob Orci one of the movie creators goes into the potential politics of TV series development

There are two major issues. Alex and I and Bad Robot want to make sure that nothing gets in the way of the movies, but number 2, Paramount controls the movies and CBS controls TV. So there is a little bit of power struggle there in terms of what happens. I have mentioned to CBS the idea of a Star Trek series and they are interested in it, but they would have to coordinate with Paramount and they would have to coordinate with Bad Robot. It is something we we are trying to figure out. If we can figure out a beautiful timing for it, it is something we would all love to do. It is tricky, with multiple chefs in that kitchen. It is something many of us are thinking about and I want to see one too.

This is interesting because ST:TNG and ST:DS9 were not tied to any network and syndicated shows. Then ST:Voyager because officially a Paramount TV network show on their channel UPN followed by Enterprise. I just read online that Paramount's TV division was then bought by CBS Corporation, which is why CBS controls all the future TV rights for Star Trek while Paramount the movie studio, still controls the film properties.

Very complicated indeed, especially if they want to make TV and films connected again.

Last edited:
It has been announced that the 2013 film will be called Star Trek Into Darkness.

Does anyone else have the TNG Season 1 Blu Ray box set? I've just ordered it. I was going to get it earlier but I thought I would wait a bit so I didn't end up with a copy with the audio problems.

Packaging is less annoying that some of the previous Star Trek releases. The remaster. Is good,but I really wish they'd converted it to widescreen in the process. I haven't checked out any of the extras.

Star Trek: The General Discussion

Packaging is less annoying that some of the previous Star Trek releases. The remaster. Is good,but I really wish they'd converted it to widescreen in the process. I haven't checked out any of the extras.

As much as conversion to 16:9 widescreen format would be nice, since the original show was a classic 4:3 picture, would you be ok with them chopping off bits of the picture from the top and bottom just to fit in the widescreen aspect?

Yes, as long as they did it well.

I see some old shows on tv that were filmed in 4:3 now being shown in 16:9 and they look great.

Most of those shows don't have the special effects the ST has.

Most of those shows don't have the special effects the ST has.
That's one of the problems. Look at the Babylon 5 DVD debacle for a prime example. Additionally, with TV series I don't really know who has to authorize the aspect change from an artist's point of view. Woody Allen famously won a case arguing that panning and scanning would be an unauthorized alteration of his work...

Last edited:
Please don't leave us hanging....

Thoughts on packaging? HD video remaster quality? bluray extras?

Mine arrived yesterday. I'm glad they kept 4:3, you get used to it very quickly and at least you're getting the full experience. I haven't looked at any of the extras yet but the quality of the show itself is very good. It can be quite grainy in places but not hugely noticeable and I suspect they would have to have softened it a lot to lose the grain. The surround sound is slightly odd in a few places as well. Something is clearly happening in front of the camera but you get the sound coming from behind you. Overall though it looks and sounds fantastic, and certainly not like a 25 year old programme.

Here is a video explaining why they didn't go to 16:9.

Then you can just hit the 16:9 zoom in button on your TV. Same effect.

No. When they do it, they select which part of each shot to trim to make sure nothing important is taken out.
Wasn't the whole point of the video above to point out that that's not possible?
And then, there are aesthetic reasons to consider, as well: A shot if framed the way it is framed not only in order to include all necessary information, but also to look good. For much of it's run, ST:TNG employed Jonathan West, one of the best TV DoPs out there in order to achieve an unique and high-quality look. You can't just crop the images in whatever way seems fitting in order to "take nothing important out". It'll look worse than a home movie.