Star Trek: The General Discussion

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I like how they didn't spoil the twist in the trailers. Didn't expect the whole debacle with the Admiral - from the trailers, it very much seemed that it was the Enterprise crashing at the Starfleet Command, and then rising from the water again; and the huge dark ship very much seemed to belong to Khan. Was pleasantly surprised it wasn't all that simple.

Having said that, the final fight of Spock vs. Khan did seem a bit lackluster. It just didn't have the energy of the rest of the movie - the beginning, the bits on Kronos and the inter-ship jump scene all made much more of an impression.

Also, for a moment when Scotty flew out to the coordinates near Jupiter, the construction yard did very much remind me of a Borg cube... coincidence? :)

Last edited:
Verdict: If you like and enjoy the whole thing without being on the look for a deadserious story, its a great movie with a shitload of funny and silly references to older ones. Then again, if you expect a perfect sensemaking storyline, you are not gonna be a Star Trek fan anyway I guess.

Enjoy it!

Oh and: I think it has noticable less lens flare!!! Although still a shitload ;).

Nah. It was only in a few situations where it was kinda annoying, but most of the time it was really ok.. it did NOT make me go "WTF lens flare?" every 5 minutes like the first movie :D

I've seen it twice and I never noticed the lens flare at all. I think if you go in expecting it then you'll notice it. I was too busy enjoying the film to notice.

Enjoying it so much that I'll be seeing it for a third time on Tuesday.

I've seen it twice and I never noticed the lens flare at all. I think if you go in expecting it then you'll notice it. I was too busy enjoying the film to notice.

Enjoying it so much that I'll be seeing it for a third time on Tuesday.

I already know the big reveals in the film, and without discussing spoilers, how do you think they handled those reveals and nods to previous films. If you watched it twice I assume you didn't hate it or we're totally outraged like some fans.

I already know the big reveals in the film, and without discussing spoilers, how do you think they handled those reveals and nods to previous films. If you watched it twice I assume you didn't hate it or we're totally outraged like some fans.

Hate it? I bloody love the film! Best film I've seen this year and I love all the nods to previous Treks. I thought it handed the reveals extremely well. I had avoided all of the spoilers and reviews of the film. All I had seen going into it was the trailers.
Thought Benedict was a great villain, plenty of action and Abrams covered some great themes while wrapping it with fun. If people were outraged by the film then I seriously suggest they get themselves a personality or sort themselves out. The film is just good fun. It's got a few plot holes but the amount of fun is enough to overlook those and just appreciate it for what it is.

Because I work at a cinemai get to watch films fr free but even if I don't work for the cinema I'd still see this film more than once.

I took mrs stiggie to see it yesterday and I noticed the lens flare slightly more this time. There was only one shot in which I found it distracting though and I've already forgotten which scene that was.

I already know the big reveals in the film, and without discussing spoilers, how do you think they handled those reveals and nods to previous films.

They handled them very well.

- - - Updated - - -

There are a few things that bothered me though.

-The way warp speed seems to be able to take you anywhere in minutes (this was also a problem in the last film).

-The way people are calling Kirk "Jim" instead of "Captain" when only Bones and Spock would ever dare do that in TOS. They haven't served together long enough for that level of familiarity yet.

-The USS Vengeance looked utterly ridiculous and whoever designed it should never work on a Star Trek film again.

-Continued references to races that humans should not have encountered yet.

I loved it, especially the way they referenced the ending of the 2nd movie. I want to see it again. I had to do it in 3D last night because for some reason the last 2D showing was at 18:25. WAT

There are a few things that bothered me though.

-The way warp speed seems to be able to take you anywhere in minutes (this was also a problem in the last film).

That one bugged me too, but it was one of those "meh, I'll overlook it this time" bugs. I could understand why they did it since they obviously wanted to move the story along but not imply too much time passing.

Having said that, the final fight of Spock vs. Khan did seem a bit lackluster. It just didn't have the energy of the rest of the movie - the beginning, the bits on Kronos and the inter-ship jump scene all made much more of an impression.

A bit lackluster doesn't even begin to describe it. I am not a Star Trek fan but even I noticed a huge hole in the plot. Earlier in the movie when Spock was talking to...umm...older Spock, older Spock told him that he would defeat Khan but at a great cost.

What was the great cost? No, Captain Kirk survived, so that wasn't it. In fact, apart from the Admiral and a few Klingons no one else died in the entire movie. I thought Ohura was going to die at the end. That would have made sense. But no, they decided to keep children happy I guess.

My question remains though - what was the great cost?

No, the old Spock said that they defeated Khan before at a great cost. That cost being the death of Spock. He had no clue what would happen in this timeline. Besides, count for me the number of important people who died in the original Trek movies, please.

As a huge ST fan, I can honestly say I LOVED it. I didn't even care that I could see the ending coming a million miles away. Yes, Warp was a little too instant, but, I don't care.

The next one needs to be a fight with the Klingons.

Last edited: