Star Trek: The General Discussion

No, the old Spock said that they defeated Khan before at a great cost. That cost being the death of Spock. He had no clue what would happen in this timeline. Besides, count for me the number of important people who died in the original Trek movies, please.

Like I said, I am not a Star Trek fan, so I can't really answer your question. But as a general movie watcher, this part of the plot felt a little confusing/weak.

The "at great cost" moment is poignant for any fan of Star Trek. I can see where someone who didn't see The Wrath of Khan would not understand. It's fan service. And it did it's job well.

After Kirk tells Chekov to go put on a red shirt, Chekov should have replied with-

"But I don't wand to die." :cry:

Last edited:
The "at great cost" moment is poignant for any fan of Star Trek. I can see where someone who didn't see The Wrath of Khan would not understand. It's fan service. And it did it's job well.

the beauty of that line and the way Nimoy does it is that it doesn't requires any further explanation. Anyone who's seen Wrath of Khan will understand it. Hopefully those who didn't will now go and see it.

A small detail that I hope others noticed; When Adm. Marcus (Robocop) is talking to Kirk and Spock about what the next move should be, did you see the models of the previous Enterprise ships? NX-01 and XCV-330 were there. Very good work there. I have an unhealthy obsession with sci-fi ships. Seeing this made me very happy.

Last edited:
I'm not. And after seeing it, my enjoyment at watching it has been completely replaced by a sense of dissatisfaction.
Yes, yes, omg it's Khanberbatch, they referred to the 72 torpedos corresponding with the 72 bodies on the Botany Bay, Qo'Nos having a blown-up moon Praxis-style, "it's what you would've done", and the plot twists. But it felt badly-paced, rushed, too much plot crammed into not enough development, and can we dispense with bringing the villain into a transparent cell in the middle of the heroes' HQ? As a movie it felt half-baked, just a flimsy structure from which to dispense a metric ton of shoutouts to previous incarnations of Star Trek. At least the characterizations of the characters remains spot-on, although Kirk still manages to fade into the shadows of the rest of the crew. Some reviewer compared him to Luke Skywalker in his whiny childness, and I can definitely see that.

Still waiting for the X-Men 2-style epic that this series needs to move beyond a bunch of character exposition movies.

Why is this thread being filled with stuff from the movie?

The only thing wrong is that piece is that once you have the replicator, you're more than halfway there.

I mean, if a replicator can build anything from basic matter, then why not replicate a starship? Oh, probably not the whole thing in one go; but you could replicate modules or sections and put those together the old-fashioned way.

Kind of like how the Infinite Improbability Drive was made using a finite probability generator.

Why is this thread being filled with stuff from the movie?

Why is the Star Trek General Discussion thread being filled up with discussion of the new Star Trek film?

Srsly GRtak... tell me one thing on the topic of Star Trek that is worth talking about right now, this making use of this thread, that is not the movie.

Well season 3 of TNG and 1 of Enterprise have just been released on blu-ray. But there isn't a whole lot to say about them.

TNG Season 4 should be out in July and "Redemption" will be released as a separate movie-length episode like "Best of Both Worlds" was.

Enterprise season 2 is due in August.

Just watched the movie at a theater in a neighboring town...

• I actually wasn't bothered by the 3D and close to enjoying it. Although it was most obvious during the credits. :D
  • I really liked the fact that the trailer did send you off in completely wrong directions.
  • Shout outs to older Star Trek stuff? Meh, I'm not a Trekkie and completely missed them.

The most annoying plot hole for me was that while Scotty was able to knock out Khan on the bridge of the Vengeance with one shot, Uhura's hits on that flying garbage collection truck (or whatever it was supposed to be) had almost no impact.

Funny thing: The reveal that the villain is Khan got no reaction from the audience. I guess everybody including me knew that bit beforehand. And to be honest, he wasn't that epic a villain from that point on.