Star Wars: The Force Awakens

He has a pretty good string of lucky to show otherwise. Look at the movies he has wrote and tell me there aren't just a few gems to be seen.

Lucas has a great mind for creating universes out of pre existing elements, mostly very visual, Star Wars is medieval fantasy, adventure and of all thing Samurai movies thrown together to create something the world had never seen, Indiana Jones was a revamp of the adverturers story genre with Fantasy elements thrown in, and it all worked.
As a Franchise creator, he is probably on of the greatest to ever live and as a visual creator he has no equal.

But as a story writer, as in: getting that universe on paper? Or a director, as in : getting that universe portrayed on film by actors? He fals very short.

Hrrrrrng. I can't tell if this is cynical cash grab or also an actual good movie, but like with the prequels they already have my money.

I like how Han is the one telling everyone that this Force shit is real seeing as how he didn't believe it himself, initially.

Last edited:
Hrrrrrng. I can't tell if this is cynical cash grab or also an actual good movie, but like with the prequels they already have my money.

Have you missed the toy that are already for sale? It is a crash grab that might also be a good movie. If it is, nice bonus. If not, Star Wars will die, and Disney might get burned to the ground by rabid fanbois.

:dunno:

It doesn't have George Lucas to mess it up so its bound to be good. I do like that they created a real robot to act in the part of BB-8. I think that the massive investment in "real" rather than CGI will make the interaction of human and fiction that much more believable and their acting much better.

See the Star Trek movies, it has a chance.

It doesn't have George Lucas to mess it up so its bound to be good. I do like that they created a real robot to act in the part of BB-8. I think that the massive investment in "real" rather than CGI will make the interaction of human and fiction that much more believable and their acting much better.

This, so much this. The prequels were on TV the other day, oh god, so much CGI...

See the Star Trek movies, it has a chance.
I didn't like JJTrek very much, so for me at least that's not the best comparison. I do recall feeling these same emotions when seeing the Phantom Menace trailer, which is also putting me off.

I have yet to see both trailers. Personally, and this is of my opinion, I think Lucas sold out.

Look, just loook at this picture:
article-0-0ACEADBD000005DC-67_468x348.jpg

That is the face of man who got his thirty pieces of silver; everytime I see it I feel so embarrassed! I know all about the first three films, I know, I know he was so adamant, so un flexible about his idea, his vision and not letting Fox mess with any of it. Like it or not, this is also true: it was the same scenario for episodes 1 through 3. Oh yeah, we can agree that overall they were mediocre but it was all his ideas, and again no interference from the studio. NONE.

Now Disney has bought his soul, you cannot fathom how much of him, of George Lucas the human is in these stories. And after this movie, they will all get Disneyfied, and I typed that with a sneer on my face.

Check out this article: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-all-the-great-cultural-debates-of-our-time/

This really struck me:
...there?s something truly astonishing about the fact that a ?Star Wars? trailer debuted during Monday Night Football, signaling both the convergence of the jock and nerd worlds (which really are both just intense enthusiasm with different objects) and the full might of Disney, which owns both Lucasfilm and ESPN. If this is a moment of triumph for people who grew up being treated like they were weird for loving stories about aliens**, it ought to be a bittersweet one: Rather than occupying the position of scrappy rebels against a dull, majority culture, our enthusiasms have become a massive business and the plaything of gigantic corporations. It?s one thing to get more of what we want. But it?s also worth thinking hard about the challenging role science fantasies such as ?Star Wars? might have once played in American culture and to keep a sharp eye out for the ways in which these genres get blunted by the corporations that stand to make planet-size piles of money off them.

*drops mic*

Star Wars he did have a lot of control though most of the credit due is to his ex-wife who edited it. Episodes 5 and 6 his contribution was reduced substantially and for good reason he sucks as a writer, director, he just sucks. He should have never been allowed to direct all three of the prequels and so the fuck what he has a shitty face after selling he should have been asked to leave the park.

*drops mic*
"Nerd culture," or whatever sickening vision that phrase conjures, is simply an orgy of once-fringe elements becoming worthy of marketing. Nerd culture is popular culture. It wraps genuine fans up in shit they want to buy, massive amounts of throwaway money they want to spend, subcultures of casual fans with whom to interact. This "nerd" stuff is no longer distinct from popular culture, it is popular culture. And its most devoted fans are just as insufferable as the frattiest of sports fans.

Still, I saw the trailer and I couldn't really make any sounds out of my mouth other than guttural enunciations.

"Nerd culture," or whatever sickening vision that phrase conjures, is simply an orgy of once-fringe elements becoming worthy of marketing. Nerd culture is popular culture. It wraps genuine fans up in shit they want to buy, massive amounts of throwaway money they want to spend, subcultures of casual fans with whom to interact. This "nerd" stuff is no longer distinct from popular culture, it is popular culture. And its most devoted fans are just as insufferable as the frattiest of sports fans.

Still, I saw the trailer and I couldn't really make any sounds out of my mouth other than guttural enunciations.

Not quite. Sports fans occasionally riot in the streets after the big win or loss. Hell, sometimes the do it right in the stands.

Disagree, nothing on this planet is as insufferable as those people who think the world resolves around 'their' club, certainly not any 'nerd' I ever met....

Unless it's a nerd on a bicycle, then it's a tie.

Disagree, nothing on this planet is as insufferable as those people who think the world resolves around 'their' club, certainly not any 'nerd' I ever met....

Unless it's a nerd on a bicycle, then it's a tie.

There are parts of the internet...I think I've said enough.

I am trying to be skeptical. I've been burned 5 out of six times seeing Star Wars movies in the theaters (special editions and the prequels) but every video on this my inner 10 year old screams with joy. My step daughter and I have been watching "Rebels" and we both really like it, it is good to get out of that damned Clone War period Lucas wanted to force on the world.

In the main poster it shows yet another planet buster, that sucks. However it has X-Wings and BB-8... I'll see this, I just hope it's good.

- - - Updated - - -

I have yet to see both trailers. Personally, and this is of my opinion, I think Lucas sold out.

What? All Lucas knows how to do IS sell out. He's been selling out since the late 70's. He'll slap the Star Wars name on just about anything.
In this case however you have almost no leg to stand on, when he sold Lucasfilm to Disney he gave almost all of the $4.05 billion to charity. That isn't selling out, that's awesome.

Foreign market trailer.

Just gotten out of the cinema from this, it's good, it's awesome....I'm shaking like a leaf...Boy are you kids in for a ride!!

From a cynical misery like you that is high praise indeed.