Star Wars: The Force Awakens

:nod:

Just saw this last night with my wife (sod off, MWF, I'm a true fan, just been working nearly every single day since the movie was released :p), so my thoughts:

[rant]Boy, some of you are a tough lot. And you go a long way to prove just how unfair expectations of this movie were before its release (if they went for a more inventive feel, as many if not more people would be crying foul). I bet you folks also complain after sex that even if it felt good, it was too similar to the last time. Lighten up![/rant]

All I care about is, I was six years old when I saw Return of the Jedi in the theatre, enraptured with all of the majesty and awe that being that young can bring to such a fantastical experience. I saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back the following year on VHS. I saw the remakes of these movies in the theatres when they came out in the late 90s (remember them?), and of course the travesty that was the prequels (which in my opinion, could have been great were it not for Lucas' failed attempts at spoon feeding us to the conclusion from the off in EP 1, and of course Hayden worstactorintheworldsen).

The Force Awakens, to me, is better than everything that came out since the originals because unlike the remakes and prequels, the whole time I was in the theatre and afterwards, I was six years old again. And that's worth something.

As to Cellos's good point about "what happened?" between EP 6 and 7, I have faith that JJ Abrams gave us this movie to set us up for the next 2, which will still pay some homage to what came before, but will also undoubtedly be more inventive than this one, all the while slowly filling in the major plot holes. Again, I feel six years old. I'm excited.

EDIT: oh, and as a warm blooded 39 year old male with a pulse? Daisy Ridley... wow. You have vaulted past Emma Watson on my list. <3<3<3<3

Last edited:
You know, I envy you.
I wish I could feel like this about the movie, but I just can't. :(
I wanted to like it, but I guess I am already too grumpy and jaded for that. :p :lol:

[rant]Boy, some of you are a tough lot. And you go a long way to prove just how unfair expectations of this movie were before its release (if they went for a more inventive feel, as many if not more people would be crying foul). I bet you folks also complain after sex that even if it felt good, it was too similar to the last time. Lighten up![/rant]

All I care about is, I was six years old when I saw Return of the Jedi in the theatre, enraptured with all of the majesty and awe that being that young can bring to such a fantastical experience. I saw Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back the following year on VHS. I saw the remakes of these movies in the theatres when they came out in the late 90s (remember them?), and of course the travesty that was the prequels (which in my opinion, could have been great were it not for Lucas' failed attempts at spoon feeding us to the conclusion from the off in EP 1, and of course Hayden worstactorintheworldsen).

The Force Awakens, to me, is better than everything that came out since the originals because unlike the remakes and prequels, the whole time I was in the theatre and afterwards, I was six years old again. And that's worth something.

As to Cellos's good point about "what happened?" between EP 6 and 7, I have faith that JJ Abrams gave us this movie to set us up for the next 2, which will still pay some homage to what came before, but will also undoubtedly be more inventive than this one, all the while slowly filling in the major plot holes. Again, I feel six years old. I'm excited.

THANK YOU.

My feelings exactly, can't wait for the DVD.

THANK YOU.

My feelings exactly, can't wait for the DVD.

Might seem like jumping on the bandwagon, but in the exact same boat. Saw it 7 times in total in the cinema, never got bored of it, everytime felt like a kid, certain scenes never ceased to give me chills or a lump in the throat. Pre ordered the Blu-ray on Xmas day and cant wait to get it to watch it many more times.

I finally got around to watching it last night. I was worried that I wouldn't get to see it on the big screen, but I had the day off work, so I managed it.

JJ did a damn good job on it. I couldn't help but think of those Mr. Plinket reviews and how so many of those complaints were fixed. The characters seemed like real people with actual personalities, not monotone robots. The action was great with the lightsaber stuff kept to a minimum, but even those few scenes were not over-choreographed like the prequel films.

The only thing that started to bug me after the film, not during it, was how hard the film makers tried to get the story back to the old original formula. Big evil superpower vs tiny rebel group. The whole thing with the new Republic government, senate, and their fleet seemed like nothing but a formality to be brushed aside.

But that didn't detract from the film for me, I still loved it. I was quite literally on the edge of my seat for the last half. I imagine they really wanted to introduce Star Wars to a whole new generation of young people, so I have to say it was a success.

9/10