Starbucks Australia closing 61 stores. No more crap coffee.

watto

Unloved and lacking a title
Car(s)
2013 Holden Cruze SRi Series 2
Bad news for the employees, great news for coffee lovers.

Yesterday (July 29), all Australian Starbucks stores closed at 2pm as Starbucks Coffee International prepared to announce to its employees that 61 of Australia's 84 stores would be closed. Starbucks will be pulling out of the ACT, South Australia and Tasmania.

There are talkings that this all has to do with the US economy and Starbucks USA closing upwards of 600 stores. If you ask me, it's because Starbucks has no idea how much of a coffee society Australia is and that Australians really don't like mass made coffee with all the wacky flavourings that Starbucks offers. They should have done more research when they first entered our market.

Starbucks also has too many stores, too close to each other. eg: (from this article) "In metropolitan Melbourne, there are two stores on Bourke Street, two on Collins Street, one on Queen Street, one on Swanston Street, one on Spencer Street and one in Docklands." Any company with that many stors in a CBD can't expect each store to do as well as each other, particularly when there are two on one street

I feel sorry for the employees, I really do but I will not miss Starbucks one bit, it's very un-Australian. We much prefer to sit at a caf?, drinking more European style coffee, made by people who know how to make coffee.

NB: I have only ever had Starbucks in the UK.

Discuss.

http://img71.imageshack.**/img71/9380/starbucksey0.png

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7530570.stm
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24095176-3102,00.html
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/dc686604-5d50-11dd-8129-000077b07658.html

a victory for quality coffee! Pity that some people will be out of jobs though

Starbucks also has too many stores, too close to each other. eg: (from this article) "In metropolitan Melbourne, there are two stores on Bourke Street, two on Collins Street, one on Queen Street, one on Swanston Street, one on Spencer Street and one in Docklands."

That few? :p

I believe you can stand on a corner downtown here and see like 3-5 Starbucks. :lol:

while it's good for coffee lovers it also puts hundreds of young people out of a job

Great for people who love real coffee. I'm sure their workers will find proper coffee shops to work at.

I doubt that most of them will, it's a hell of a lot of people to lose all at once and the other stores already have staff :p

while it's good for coffee lovers it also puts hundreds of young people out of a job

It sure does, and that's the sad thing about it. Let's just hope the company provides sufficient payouts and services to help the jobless employees find new jobs in the same/other industry.

I don't mind starbucks. I find the 'special' coffees they do on occasion to be fairly nice but can't match a proper coffee shop. That said, they are bloody everywhere. In Reading, Berkshire, there are two within about 200 yards and another opening soon. No other business of any sort does competition with ITSELF like that in this country, even the Burger Shot Kings are more spread out across the town than that.

Frankly, closing 61 stores must still mean there is at least four in each large town and one on most city street corner.

Hmm, I remember the days when Starbucks actually made a decent coffee and didn't sell all this other crap which just diluted their image.

I feel sorry for the people who worked there.

Well maybe now proper coffee shops can replace them....
(Cafe Vergnano 1882 FTW!)

Speaking of which, why aren't there many Hudson's or Cibo's in Brisbane

is it weird that aside from hearing references about it in movies/TV, I had never heard of Starbucks?

I can't remember seeing any, and i've been practically all around Europe.
I know Holland has them, but srsly thats the only place Ive ever seen one for real.

is .be the last of the Starbucks-free countries? If so yay :)

is it weird that aside from hearing references about it in movies/TV, I had never heard of Starbucks?

I can't remember seeing any, and i've been practically all around Europe.
I know Holland has them, but srsly thats the only place Ive ever seen one for real.

is .be the last of the Starbucks-free countries? If so yay :)

I haven't seen any in Europe..

There's now a few of Starbucks shops in the touristy parts of Prague. That said, I've never seen any Starbucks shops in Europe either, as I hardly ever go to the touristy parts of Prague.

The list of stores closing in the US with close to 600 stores being closed by the end of this month. You can see the list here: http://consumerist.com/5025103/a-list-of-starbucks-stores-that-will-close-by-the-end-of-the-month

I would say that starbucks did lose a bit of its luster when they really started to chop quality for quantity but a lot of people have come to love there flavored drink and accept it as coffee. There real problem it seem to be was opening way too many stores assuming people would be too lazy to just cross the street to go to the other store. Plus with the economy getting hurt a bit, people might not want to spend 3 times a day for a $4 cup of coffee and might stick to the $1.25.

As for myself, as I am a coffee lover, its a bit of mix happiness. You want to see them go as there coffee just stink, at the same time they are a bit of the reason why here in the US a lot of places did start to get proper coffee houses. Also when you find yourself in some city in the middle of butt fuck nowhere you could always count on a starbucks there for some half decent coffee and snacks. Also when you feel like coffee at 3am in the morning you could also go to a starbucks as well =D.

the only reason i ever get anything with the starbucks name on it is the 50% employee discount i get at B&N Cafes

well, there are several in munich, as well as at least 2 (that I can think of right now) in cheltenham, so yeah, there are some/many in europe. Have also seen one in Zurich....

It's not good coffee, but it's hot and it's strong, and at least it's reliable...

People drink starbucks for the same reason that people drive crap 50 HP Opel/Vauxhalls... because although they are slow and unequipped, at least you can drive around in them, unlike an old used bmw m3 for the same price, which will have an engine failure every 1000 miles.

There's something reassuring about consistency/boredom, even if it means something is consistently crap.

I believe there's one in Paris, and that's it for France...

I shed no tears for Starbucks closing. I do feel sorry for the workforce, though.

They have a point - in Glasgow, and other UK cities, you've reached the absurd point when you can stand anywhere in town and see three different Starbucks at once.

People drink starbucks for the same reason that people drive crap 50 HP Opel/Vauxhalls... because although they are slow and unequipped, at least you can drive around in them, unlike an old used bmw m3 for the same price, which will have an engine failure every 1000 miles.

There's something reassuring about consistency/boredom, even if it means something is consistently crap.

X2

The reason they're closing so many stores in the US is basically because they're cannibalizing their own sales. In one of my Management classes at uni, we discussed this to length. Starbucks' train of thought was, "We rather have 5 Starbucks in prime locations in a sq mile than have some of those spots taken over by, let's say Caribou Coffee, (or other competitors)." It was basically a 'cut off the leg to save the body' tactic, and now it's backfiring on them big time. Don't get me wrong, this tactic has been known to work from time to time, but Starbucks just took it to the extreme.