Starbucks is slipping! Oh nose!

Rokovak

Car(s)
2016 Cadillac ATS
Not that I follow these "tests" with any degree of regularity, I just find it peculiar that my hunches about the decline of Starbucks just might be a little more than valid. Consumer Reports

Most coffee is overpriced shit? Unpossible!

Time for a revolt!

Fivebucks%2BCoffee.jpg

What the hell is up with those brandnames.
Chock full o'nuts? Kickapoo? Eight o'clock coffee? Who the hell came up with these brandnames and who can take them seriously?

Anyway, some of the coffee they tested is ridiculous expensive but I guess they are specialty roasts.

I've been doing some maths. For 5$/cup, assuming you drink only 1 cup/work-day, excluding weekends and holidays, that adds up to about 240 cups/year or 1200$ at least.

Guessing here, but i assume ppl drink several cups a day, and on weekends and holidays, and there are much more expensive and larger size drinks so it can cost up to 3.000$ a year, maybe more.

I am sorry, not only that Coffee with trans fat milk and all those fillings/toppings they offer is bad for you, you could buy a brand new the most modern PC every year, or a decent car every 2-3 years, or have a very nice 2-3 week vacation.

So, who are the morons?

BTW my father's been making fresh coffee every single morning for the past 30 years using coffee-beans, the simplest coffee-mill and cafetiere and it's the best. It takes about 5 mins for the whole process, and it costs practically nothing, you only pay for the beans/sugar but it's much cheapter, even if you buy expensive beans.

Last edited:
What the hell is up with those brandnames.
Chock full o'nuts? Kickapoo? Eight o'clock coffee? Who the hell came up with these brandnames and who can take them seriously?

Worse than silly brand names are people who call them "grandes" and not "large".

I want my warm beverages in a mug marked "large", "small", or "medium".

Have any of you played the "Starbucks game"? The idea is to phrase your order in such a way that the barista doesn't ask any questions of you. It's surprisingly hard to win.

I've been doing some maths. For 5$/cup, assuming you drink only 1 cup/work-day, excluding weekends and holidays, that adds up to about 240 cups/year or 1200$ at least.

Guessing here, but i assume ppl drink several cups a day, and on weekends and holidays, and there are much more expensive and larger size drinks so it can cost up to 3.000$ a year, maybe more.

A regular cup of coffee at Starbucks is under $2, which is what any coffee shop will charge around here.

The $5 drinks are the other stuff they sell, usually an infusion of tea/coffee, milk, syrups and topped off with whipped cream and more syrup. I don't think anyone drinks multiple lattes or caramel machiattos per day.

So for $5 you're actually getting something that resembles a sundae more than a cup of coffee. Which means Starbucks isn't really that overpriced... doesn't mean it has good coffee either though.

I prefer to just make my own cups with my trusty espresso machine every morning. Allows me to experiment with a variety of beans to get a flavor that I like.

When I was taking a marketing course a marketing lady from Starbucks mentioned in her presentation that over 60% of their customers visit a Starbucks more than once daily.

$$$

One of my employees also works at a Starbucks, and he told me a story just this morning of a guy who ordered a "coffee" that ended up being over $6. After he told the customer the total, the customer said "Damn...I'd better slow down. This is my 4th one today."

you could buy a brand new the most modern PC every year, or a decent car every 2-3 years, or have a very nice 2-3 week vacation.

Great logic :rolleyes:

So you sit on your little cloud of judgment calling people morons for "wasting" their money on something they enjoy. Than you try to say a better use of money would be to waste it on a new PC every year? :lol:

Get off your high horse, the "I am anti-conformist and hate all the popular brands" mindset is played out.

Great logic :rolleyes:

So you sit on your little cloud of judgment calling people morons for "wasting" their money on something they enjoy. Than you try to say a better use of money would be to waste it on a new PC every year? :lol:

Get off your high horse, the "I am anti-conformist and hate all the popular brands" mindset is played out.

A PC, Car and Vacation was just an example of what i'd do with extra 2-3k. To me the whole 5$ + per cup of coffee thing sounds exactly like Audiophiles, i.e. morons, ppl who enjoy not the product but the amount of money they spent on it, same thing also applies to ultimate PC overclocekrs, who don't play games, just watch FPS counts and performance tests.

They are obviously enjoying what they're doing, but still morons.

Last edited:
^ How about people who go to pubs and pay near $10 for a pint of beer? It would cost them 1/3 of the price if not less to stay at home and get drunk. But they go to pubs to enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy the company of others.

I don't like the atmosphere at Starbucks, but some people do. Like I say Starbucks isn't the place to get straightforward black coffee.

There are those who go to Starbucks daily and really do spend much more money there than they should, but there's also others who go there once or twice a month for a bit of a 'treat'.

Even so-called premium coffee from a regular shop is always a blend of about 20 different sorts of low-grade coffee, speed-roasted in hot air ovens in about 2 minutes. Almost everything of that is complete crap. Often what you get is not coffee but carbon and so it tastes.

The reason you get so many variations and added flavors in coffee shops like Starbuck's, is that the pure coffee is actually undrinkable.

If you want to taste the real thing, go to a Fair Trade Shop, that roasts its own coffee (in a gas-powered tumble oven, not an electrical one!) for about 18-20 minutes, buys its coffee directly from the coffee farmers and roasts beans from the same growing area.

It's not really that much more expensive but the coffee farmers can actually live from the money they get and your taste buds will probably have a revelation.

Last edited:
I rarely, if ever go to starbucks, because when I do, I spend like 8 bucks on a cup. I'd rather just make it at home for pennies.

^ How about people who go to pubs and pay near $10 for a pint of beer? It would cost them 1/3 of the price if not less to stay at home and get drunk. But they go to pubs to enjoy the atmosphere and enjoy the company of others.

I don't like the atmosphere at Starbucks, but some people do. Like I say Starbucks isn't the place to get straightforward black coffee.

There are those who go to Starbucks daily and really do spend much more money there than they should, but there's also others who go there once or twice a month for a bit of a 'treat'.

Going to the pub is sacred, but that's not exactly the analogy for morning coffee, also, if you want to save money, you can always invite your friends over to watch the game on the big screen, back when i was a student we used to do that all the time.

Last edited:
So people are morons based on what you do? I am sure if you asked everybody in the country what was worse, buying a cup of coffee everyday before work (as shawn pointed out, normal coffee isn't $5) or upgrading their computer to the new cool parts every year they would vote the computer. You're calling people who go to starbucks morons because they are 'wasting money' but have somehow convinced yourself that what you like isn't.

So people are morons based on what you do? I am sure if you asked everybody in the country what was worse, buying a cup of coffee everyday before work (as shawn pointed out, normal coffee isn't $5) or upgrading their computer to the new cool parts every year they would vote the computer. You're calling people who go to starbucks morons because they are 'wasting money' but have somehow convinced yourself that what you like isn't.

Let's end this, you clearly don't get that i am not talking about the coffee drinking habit, but about the excessive overspending and bad finance management.

Although if you ask your doctor which is worse for you, a cup of coffee every day or a new car-part/computer-part every year, i think the answer wud be the coffee, but that's not the point here.

I rarely, if ever go to starbucks, because when I do, I spend like 8 bucks on a cup. I'd rather just make it at home for pennies.
And their cups aren't even that big. $3 for a 12oz cup of green tea does not compute. That's 50 cents if I wanted to do a shot of green tea. No dice.

They sweeten the shit out of everything, too.