Starcraft 2 (GSL, MLG, IEM, TSL and all others)

salle

So who besides me, and I think Karoug, likes watching StarCraft 2 as a spectator sport?

or for a more sportsfanny introduction:
How about the Swedish hero Liquid`Jinro tearing into GSL Semi Finals the second tournament in a row? Did you see his games against oGsMC in the Round of 16?

lordjinro.jpg

Jinro bringeth the good manner unto MC.

You guys don't know what you're missing, and I guess that's your loss, now go troll someone else's post.

You guys don't know what you're missing, and I guess that's your loss, now go troll someone else's post.
Alright, calm down. Let's work this out together:

POINT #1

- This is the Sports forum.
- In this forum, members from around the world discuss a wide variety of sports.

POINT #2

- You created a thread in the Sports forum dedicated to Starcraft 2.
- Therein lies the problem.
- Playing video games is not a sport.
- "Watching StarCraft 2 as a spectator sport" is inherently impossible for this very reason.

POINT #3

- I only understand a small percentage of your original post.
- The vague acronyms and names bewilder and frighten me.
- Frankly, I deserve some sort of a reward for successfully reading and deciphering the important bits.
- A Context Clues Badge, perhaps.

POINT #4

- The blasphemous depiction of the Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, included at the end of your post offends me greatly.
- Not that I'm religious or even remotely spiritual.
- It just doesn't make any fucking sense.

POINT #5

- There is an Entertainment forum, in which members discuss video games, movies, and music.

POINT #6

- This is the fucking Sports forum.
- If you think Point #6 is a lot like Point #1, that's because it is.
- You see, I used repetition for the sake of clarity.
- The profanity was used for emphasis.

I hope this cleared things up. :p

Where in my post did I sound agitated? No where, so get off your high horse and go derail some other thread. If this thread was created in the wrong forum section I assume a forum moderator would move it. If it's not in the wrong forum section you're just being a jerk. So if you're not interested you can just, you know, not click to read the post or thread.

I guess what you consider a sport and what I consider a sport differs. To me watching someone play is inherently different from playing yourself. And thus making a thread in the entertainment section is slightly more wrong. You see StarCraft is the second most popular sport in South Korea. It's a big commercial machine, and there's a big professional circuit with a lot of sponsorship money. For StarCraft 2 there's also a big number of professional players. Which to me means it's a sport rather than a game or hobby and there's also quite a number of viewers.
(And all the acronyms are abbreviated names of leagues and tournaments. to help if someone did a search)

Also of course the image would not make sense to you, just like some picture of an American Football player doing something would most likely make no sense to me if I didn't know about the circumstances surrounding it. Because you see this thread was not intended for someone with no interest in the competitive SC2 scene.

sport
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
b. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

phys?i?cal
adj.
a. Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit. See Synonyms at bodily.
b. Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity: a physical dance performance.
c. Slang Involving or characterized by violence: "A real cop would get physical" (TV Guide).
2. Of or relating to material things: our physical environment.
3. Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.

sport
n.
a. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.

phys?i?cal
adj.
a. Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit. See Synonyms at bodily.
b. Involving or characterized by vigorous bodily activity: a physical dance performance.
c. Slang Involving or characterized by violence: "A real cop would get physical" (TV Guide).
3. Of or relating to matter and energy or the sciences dealing with them, especially physics.

In Russia poker is considered a sport by the law, includes online poker. I'm quite sure it's like that in some other countries as well. Also, it's arguable how physical sports like darts and snooker are.

But yes, wrong section.

In Russia poker is considered a sport by the law, includes online poker. I'm quite sure it's like that in some other countries as well. Also, it's arguable how physical sports like darts and snooker are.

But yes, wrong section.

Of or relating to material things. Darts, billiard balls, playing cards and chess pieces are physical things. The former two require quite a mastery of the physical science behind them (aka, physics).

Starcraft is not a physical thing because it is virtual. Online poker is not a sport because it is virtual. Virtual things are neither pertaining to the physical world or the laws that govern it (game makers can make the physics whatever they want). Very few are physically demanding of the player.

Just to throw a wrench into this thread. All professional gamers are very physically fit. They have to be to keep their reaction times good enough to compete.

It is also interesting to watch if you play the game.

As to what sub forum is belongs into, I won't speculate.

Of or relating to material things. Darts, billiard balls, playing cards and chess pieces are physical things. The former two require quite a mastery of the physical science behind them (aka, physics).

Starcraft is not a physical thing because it is virtual. Online poker is not a sport because it is virtual. Virtual things are neither pertaining to the physical world or the laws that govern it (game makers can make the physics whatever they want). Very few are physically demanding of the player.

Since this is turning into a semantics argument: Starcraft specifically is not a sport, but PC gaming in general is, because mouse and keyboard are physical things.

Material thing = computer. It's physical since nothing happens if a player doesn't give a physical command. I know waving the mouse around like you're having a seizure is much more physical than sitting around a poker table waiting to be dealt a hand once a minute.

I also don't understand what you mean about poker and chess requiring knowledge of physical science. They're both games of intelligence (a. Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit. See Synonyms at bodily.). Would you label math competitions under sports?

My point is that definition of sports isn't so black and white, but this is a pretty useless argument (and thread for it) and we could go on about this forever. I'll stop here and let this thread die.

sport
n.

phys?i?cal
adj.

Have you seen a professional StarCraft player? with around 300 to 400 APM (Actions per Minute)?
I guess not.
If this isn't physical activity...

Of cause, in Motorsport you have G-Forces, heat and all this, but in something like StarCraft, you need to do so many things at once.
If you did not experience it first hand, I don't think you can't say anything about it.

Besides clicking / typing is not virtual :)

[video=youtube;YbpCLqryN-Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbpCLqryN-Q[/video]

Do this for around 30 minutes non stop and then tell us again how virtual this is to you.
A StarCraft match is a very intense and stressful experience. The Mental part in a 1 on 1 situation is really tough too.

Salle, I enjoy watching esports a lot. Just finished watching the second IEM Day coverage in Kiev. Bloody nice games...

Last edited:
Nothing will convince me it's a sport you're shooting up the wrong tree in my opinion. I would think the thread would be better situated in the Entertainment forum.

So fast typing is a sport now?

Material thing = computer. It's physical since nothing happens if a player doesn't give a physical command. I know waving the mouse around like you're having a seizure is much more physical than sitting around a poker table waiting to be dealt a hand once a minute.

I also don't understand what you mean about poker and chess requiring knowledge of physical science. They're both games of intelligence (a. Of or relating to the body as distinguished from the mind or spirit. See Synonyms at bodily.). Would you label math competitions under sports?

Read better. I said darts and billiards require physics. That's what "former" means - the before. You're thinking of "latter". The latter two, being chess and cards, falls under the 1.a definition of sport since the games takes place in the physical world, are governed by a set of rules, and are played competitively. Chess is internationally recognized as a legitimate sport.

Nothing will convince me it's a sport you're shooting up the wrong tree in my opinion. I would think the thread would be better situated in the Entertainment forum.

So fast typing is a sport now?

so in your opinion chess is not a sport either, right?
because afaik, chess is widely accepted as a "sport".
considering this, i think SC2 - and every other esport - should be considered a sport.

if you like it, post here. if you don't, leave and ignore this thread and stop trolling people who actually want to contribute and discuss tournaments / events.
and yes, i will add the magic word: please!
i know FG has more sense than to start bashing people because of their opinion (or for that matter, whether esports should be considered a sport - there can be no solution!), so please keep this as nice a place as i remember it and leave us nerds to it.
thank you.

edit: there we go, chess is a sport - imho sc2 can therefore be considered a sport as well. also, magic word again, please stop the bickering about what 'physical' in the definition of sports means - everybody wil develop a different opinion and we'll have a nice and mighty trolling match. i don't think anyone wants that... and if you do, please leave and do that somewhere else.

Last edited: