Starcraft 2 (GSL, MLG, IEM, TSL and all others)

tl;dr

Videogames are not a sport, gtfo

After seeing a friend (Almost in Masters right he's the top of his diamond division) play. The recorded games just aren't the same.

Just to throw a wrench into this thread. All professional gamers are very physically fit. They have to be to keep their reaction times good enough to compete.

i'm sorry but this is the most laughable comment i've ever read. I've know WoW players to pump themselves with Red Bull just so they can concentrate more.
Video Games are not a sport. I'm a avid gamer myself and i spend a lot of time playing games, but i don't consider them a sport. They are entertainment, pure escapism. Enjoyment that is on a interaction level. So what if someone achieves a high kill/death ratio or what their actions per minute are. Video Games are there to be enjoyed. You start taking the fun out of them and start considering them as a actual sport and all it is people just staring in front of a screen repeating a set of actions and not fully taking in what the game is putting in front of them.

^The last Dreamhack winner got 10 000 euros plus a new pc worth about 3 000 euros. Like it or not, there are ppl making more money from playing sc2 than most ppl in here ever will.

Wikipedia:

A sport is an organized, competitive, entertaining, and skillful activity requiring commitment, strategy, and fair play, in which a winner can be defined by objective means. It is governed by a set of rules or customs. Activities such as card games and board games, are classified as "mind sports" and some are recognized as Olympic sports, requiring primarily mental skills and mental physical involvement. Non-competitive activities, for example as jogging or playing catch are usually classified as forms of recreation.

Physical events such as scoring goals or crossing a line first often define the result of a sport. However, the degree of skill and performance in some sports such as diving, dressage and figure skating is judged according to well-defined criteria. This is in contrast with other judged activities such as beauty pageants and body building, where skill does not have to be shown and the criteria are not as well defined.

Competitive StarCraft and other esports tick all the boxes.
It takes place in the physical world. The player makes a physical input into a machine another player reacts to it by making a physical input. Don't know where that differs to other forms of sport.
The ruleset is virtual and made up, just like in every other sport.

if i was going to be killed while playing a sport i would much rather go through the pearly gates in a fireball from a flaming Formula 1 car than dropping dead in front of a computer screen after not bothering to have anything to eat.

sorry its not a physical sport. this thread should be in the entertainment section. all its going to do here is generate more flame and troll posts. no one is going to agree to a middle ground on this one. I don't like NASCAR and i don't see the point in driving round in circles but that is still a sport. You could just as easily use this Actions per minute rule to claim that fapping is a professional sport as well.

^You might wanna Google Masturbation world championships, yes it exists.

Video games can be considered competitive, but I don't think they can be considered a "sport" in the traditional sense just yet (at least until we get Kinect v5.0 and get something like in The Island), therefore I don't believe this topic belongs in this forum. However there is a Motorsports dedicated forum so maybe there should be a specific eSports thread/forum in the Entertainment section.

According to the Swedish Olympic committee, sports does also include non-physical activities. Recently they also included e-sports in this. So can all the trolls and stupid people please stay away now? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I usually avoid jumping into ridiculous arguments like this, but this time I feel compelled to.

As pointed out by others, according to the true definition of 'sport', competitive gaming, such as the intended subject of this thread, are sports. I myself was at best on the fence(leaning against calling it a sport) until that definition was posted.

I do think that this thread should be moved to Entertainment so the regulars of this section can get their panties unbunched and allow the thread to be what it was meant to be.

esports on the tv-channel euroSPORT...

weird to have discussions like that on a "young" internet forum like this. just shows how far away esports is in terms of global recognition.
it will kick of eventualy and then it will be very big. are you really not able to see the possibilities?

weird to have discussions like that on a "young" internet forum like this. just shows how far away esports is in terms of global recognition.
it will kick of eventualy and then it will be very big. are you really not able to see the possibilities?

Definition in it's purest sense is global recognition. A definition of a word is the agreement by the majority of people as to the meaning of the word. There is nothing in the current definition of sport to make me see video games as a sport. Video games take place primarily in spaces that are not real spaces, with people and objects that are not real objects. The mere fact that a kinetically operated human interface device is used to manipulate the game does not change the fact that video games are virtual.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't think chess or poker should be considered sports either. But they are, and I can find no way to use the definition of sport to say otherwise. But unless the definition is changed, no one will persuade me that video games are sports.

Definition in it's purest sense is global recognition. A definition of a word is the agreement by the majority of people as to the meaning of the word. There is nothing in the current definition of sport to make me see video games as a sport. Video games take place primarily in spaces that are not real spaces, with people and objects that are not real objects. The mere fact that a kinetically operated human interface device is used to manipulate the game does not change the fact that video games are virtual.

If you want my personal opinion, I don't think chess or poker should be considered sports either. But they are, and I can find no way to use the definition of sport to say otherwise. But unless the definition is changed, no one will persuade me that video games are sports.

This.

Salle, I enjoy watching esports a lot. Just finished watching the second IEM Day coverage in Kiev. Bloody nice games...

Did you catch the GoOdy vs SarenS game? 1 hour 30 minutes... or something... after that I had enough of hearing HasuObs commentating with his German accent.

Thread moved to entertainment.

Jinro voted best non-korean player 2010!

Hello Jinro! You have been voted forth as the best non-Korean of 2010! How does it feel? Are you surprised?

- Its an honour, and since I hadnt thought about there being any such awards until I was told about it, yes!

The awards is meant to praise a true 'gosu' gamer, which we feel is characterized as a gamer with superior gaming technique, good manners and sportsmanship. As for superior gaming technique, you reached the spotlight last year after your great success in the GSL. Yesterday you made sure to do at least as good. How have these latest months been?

- Hm, been trending upwards since MLG pretty much =) I always feel good when I have a game to prepare for! Its been pretty crazy to go from always choking in every tournament to doing this good, but it feels good =)

Would you call yourself the best foreigner now? I mean, 4-1 against IdrA, two Korean progaming league semi final placings in a row, and MLG Dallas win. If you set Korea aside, what other trophies do want to win?

- I think its still too early, I dont think Im ahead of the pack to the the degree where Id want to call myself #1, if Im even ahead at all. I just think I have really good support from my team so Im able to overcome really strong opponents who might be lacking some of that support (such as IdrA, and this isnt a diss towards EG, since they are putting together a house in Korea as far as I understand it) I hope WCG has SC2 for 2011, and I wanna do good in there.

There's no stats out for how many actually watched your stream, but #Jinro actually made it up on "Top Trends" on Twitter so it's safe to say quite a few people were watching you. How does it feel, knowing you're followed by so many? Does it affect your play?

- Haha thats pretty cool, hm, numbers dont affect me so much, I generally put most of the pressure on myself, by myself. Its mostly just nice, but Ill try as hard whether theres 100 or 100 000 people watching I think

We have other categories in the GosuGamers Awards: Korean of the Year, and Community Effort of the Year. Who would you pick?

- Hm, MC. I honestly wouldnt know what to put under community effort... I guess the community produced content I use the most would be the Relocalizer by GirlScoutCookie? SC2Gears by Dakota_Fanning is also pretty solid work in the tools department. Then theres are all the guys casting, and I think that would have to go to Day[9] by a bit of a landslide... And then theres just so many wonderful people making artwork/songs etc... I guess overall, Day[9] would be it for me. Though that reminds me of how much Husky has done as well... So yeah,t here are so many options, hard to choose ^^

How are you preparing for the weekend? Going up against MarineKing again after the Round of 16, how does it feel?

- Feels good to get a shot at him again so soon, but hes a tough opponent so its not someone I would have picked

Alright, best of luck in the semi final, Jinro! Any final words?

Thanks! Just thanks for the award, and thanks to everyone for watching as always! I hope the games will be close and worth watching on Sunday.
http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/news/14334-jinro-voted-as-best-non-korean-of-2010

Last edited: