Staying in Paris

Firecat

Politically Charged
Sooooo.....I recently got engaged in South Africa. My Fiance is going to Paris soon with a friend, and I may tag along for 7 nights. I've never been there, so it's a good opportunity. Flights are kind of expensive from Orlando to Paris, but I think I have enough points for the trips. I'm just looking for accommodation....hotels are pricey so I was thinking of a bed & breakfast. Anyone have suggestions? I want something nice but not too expensive (max maybe 120$ a night). Also, what area should I be looking at staying? She and her friend are planning on staying at a hostel in Montmarte (Le village boutique hostel).

Thanks!

Airbnb is always nice. It's how my company usually finds places to stay when teams go on a week long trip somewhere.

Airbnb is probably your best bet as far as value goes. You can also check out the hotel chain: Hotel Ibis, they're kind of like a French Motel 6.

7 days in France? Poor sod, remember the French will not shoot back but the little buggers can run like hell, so something with a big spread and lots of ammo is preferred.

Last edited:
For 100? a night, you should be very able to find a nice place on airbnb in a single didgit arrondisment. But you have to look carefully at the appartment. 5th floor or higher without elevator can be a pain in the arse. Also old appartments tend to be quite noisy despite looking charming. That said, i've been in noisy hotels in paris too.

Thanks for the tips. Is there a preference with being in a single digit arrondisment? They are staying in Montmarte, which I think is the 18th.

Thanks for the tips. Is there a preference with being in a single digit arrondisment? They are staying in Montmarte, which I think is the 18th.

Some parts of Paris are nicer than others. Others are more affordable than others. The 18th has a lot of very nice areas, but also some quite run-down areas (check with Google Street view, the whole City is in there). I?ve stayed in the 18th twice, never had a problem - but I would pick a single-digit arrondisment over the 18 (19, 20th) anytime. 5th and 6th I consider especially nice to go out in the evening and I would stay there also ... but you know, something like that is always a compromise.

Another thing to think about - AirConditioning isn?t everywhere, especially not in the older houses. And depending on when exactly you?re going, it can get quite hot in Summer in Paris. Don?t asume they have AC when it?s not listed , neither at a hotel or airBnB ...

Worth watching is this Anthony Bourdain show from 2012 ... NSFW-language though ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyiojos6gAg

Also, if you have android or apple Phone, there is a free Metro-app by the RATP (the paris transport authority). It is free and has an offline Map of Paris (the map has to be downloaded "in-app" and is some MB big) with the Metro and the Streets. Get that in advance! Wifi, especially free Wifi is still rare in Paris.

Last edited:
Adagio Porte de Charrenton. It is an appartment hotel (mostly studios). I went there a couple of years ago for 7 days. It were perfect. Less than 5 minutes from m?tro station and very cheap. There is also Citadines that have similar appartments.

Some parts of Paris are nicer than others. Others are more affordable than others. The 18th has a lot of very nice areas, but also some quite run-down areas (check with Google Street view, the whole City is in there). I?ve stayed in the 18th twice, never had a problem - but I would pick a single-digit arrondisment over the 18 (19, 20th) anytime. 5th and 6th I consider especially nice to go out in the evening and I would stay there also ... but you know, something like that is always a compromise.

Another thing to think about - AirConditioning isn?t everywhere, especially not in the older houses. And depending on when exactly you?re going, it can get quite hot in Summer in Paris. Don?t asume they have AC when it?s not listed , neither at a hotel or airBnB ...

Worth watching is this Anthony Bourdain show from 2012 ... NSFW-language though ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyiojos6gAg

Also, if you have android or apple Phone, there is a free Metro-app by the RATP (the paris transport authority). It is free and has an offline Map of Paris (the map has to be downloaded "in-app" and is some MB big) with the Metro and the Streets. Get that in advance! Wifi, especially free Wifi is still rare in Paris.

Will check that out. Thanks!

I officially booked my plane ticket. Now scouting some locations. I'll probably just stick with Montmarte because that's where they will be, so it's a matter of convenience. As long as i'm close-ish to the metro I think I should be good.

Keep in mind that the closest you will be of Montmartre , the more you will pay .
Maybe your best bet is staying in the 9th arrondissement (75009) which is south of Montmartre and a couple of metro station away.

I ended up booking a place on rue feutrier. Which I think will serve my purposes well. I'll start looking into other things I may need this week. Like museum passes etc. I'm really only going to see my fianc?. But there are a couple of things I would like to do there. Otherwise I would be content just wandering around the city like Owen Wilson in Midnight in Paris