• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

steering wheel for pc

cookie720

Car(s)
1974 Leyland Mini, 1963 Morris Mini
wat would be the best, nicest, affordable steering wheel for pc?
id prefer one with a gearstick and not flapy paddle

thanks

Where are you prepared to stop?
Gearstick, as in H-pattern or sequential? For H-pattern you'll have to spend a small fortune.
Force-feedback or simple steering?
Major brand with all the warranties or something that will last a full month before it breaks? (Not that the Logitech pedals are bullett-proof)
How much are you prepared to spend?

The best ones, IMHO, are Logitech's Momo or the Driving Force Pro, which was developed as a PS2 steering wheel, but works well in the PC, and has 900? turn (2,5 turns). Momo has a better stick-shift, from what I've read.

I remember we had this thread http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=2590
Go take a look.

Driving Force Pro seems to be the king right now for it's money. Momo is good, but so many people had troubles with pedals (including me)... dunno if DFP has better pedals.

About sequential shifter, it's pretty useless. Paddles are SO much more comfortable, easier and faster to use, that I never touch stick-shifter after having played with it for few days. If you want proper H-pattern it's different story of course, but that's a different price category as well.

^^ And its a problem in aquiring one... The Actlabs shifter isn't produced anymore...

I shift with the stick on the dfp, and its really ok, I can't see how you would make the shifter better...?

Buba said:
^^ And its a problem in aquiring one... The Actlabs shifter isn't produced anymore...

I shift with the stick on the dfp, and its really ok, I can't see how you would make the shifter better...?

The one in the DFP is too short, too button like, whereas the Momo one is longer, more mechanical, or so I've (mis)read.

Yeah, it works via a digital contact, but I guess the Momos will do that as well...
I guess, the movemet is about 0,5 cm with the dfp... Dunno about the Momo...

yeah im thinking of getting the momo
i want a gearshifter dont care if its H or S,
i just want one cos im 14 and wanna practice driving (lol)

I personally use the momo and so far, I've had no problems with the pedals... and I've tried the DFP, and I still prefer the momo, cuz the DFP requires much more movement to turn the car... can get tiring if you're playing LFS

cookie720 said:
yeah im thinking of getting the momo
i want a gearshifter dont care if its H or S,
i just want one cos im 14 and wanna practice driving (lol)
Your younger than me? :shock:
I'm meant to be the young know-it-all here, go away! :p

Personally, I think the DFP is the best in the business currently. There are minor problems with the pedals but nothing that will ruin the expirience by any means.

Through September/October I was borrowing a DFP off a guy who had a broken leg and couldnt use it. Just to my luck, his leg gets better again and I had to give it back.

Last week, I purchased one cos I just had to. It left me with a very good impression.
cookie720 - Not sure what your budget is but those DFP's RRP at $299 in Australia. I paid a bargain $249!!

I just told EB that Games Wizzards (not sure if they are in Adelaide) were selling them at that price (lies) and they said they would match it. They do guarentee the lowest prices so lie a bit and see what happens.

I'm, extremly happy now, I got me a steering wheel to have fun with over Xmas :mrgreen:

^^ You can set degrees in LFS you know. ;)

I'd go for a DFP. In fact, I myself am looking for a replacement wheel (probably will be the DFP) for my current crappy logitech wingman force. (Gonna take apart the wheel itself, and see if I can fix it, but I really doubt that because the wheel moves 2-3cm's up/down/left/right, FF is fucked as well, acts weird all the time..<_< )

DFP is the same price as the MOMO, and as far as I know, there isn't much difference between them, apart from the 900degree for the DFP which I like.

About flappy paddels. It's much quicker, and more comfortable since you never ever have to take your hands off the wheel.

And I hope you are joking with this statement :?
just want one cos im 14 and wanna practice driving
You won't learn anything from a Logitech wheel. It will not help you in any way for later on when making your license.

And in case you were not joking, that's one more point for the DFP, since it has 900degrees = 2.5 wheel rotations/circles (whatever you call it).

In a DFP vs MOMO battle, the first one gets my vote.

edit:
You call 249AUD(=150+ EURO) a bargain? :eek:
Over here they are 78euros, which is 125 AUD.

^ I got my current crappy wheel almost a year ago for the same price... <_<

pdanev said:
edit:
You call 249AUD(=150+ EURO) a bargain? :eek:
Over here they are 78euros, which is 125 AUD.
Gee we get ripped off here then...doesnt surprise me though. Its only a bargain in respect to its RRP.

ok thanks guys, so i should get the momo or the DFP hmm
btw we do have EB games here, one 5 mins away from my house

cookie720 said:
ok thanks guys, so i should get the momo or the DFP hmm
btw we do have EB games here, one 5 mins away from my house
In brakets I was asking if you had Games Wizards in Adelaide. Turns out you don't...either way, just say some other business had it for $249 or lower if you want to try your luck.

Get the DFP, you wont regret it I promise :D

I guess... SL65... its much cheaper if you go to a random computer shop in Chinatown or where the smaller ones are which assemble computers for you, they are often much cheaper than places like Harvey Norman...... etc, if you go to chinatown, it would be an advantage if you could bring a friend who knows how to speak chinese as well

andyhui01 said:
I guess... SL65... its much cheaper if you go to a random computer shop in Chinatown or where the smaller ones are which assemble computers for you, they are often much cheaper than places like Harvey Norman...... etc, if you go to chinatown, it would be an advantage if you could bring a friend who knows how to speak chinese as well
Thats what I do but only with computers/accesories actually. When it comes to games, I go to EB cos I have insurance on anything I purchase from there. Even if I accidently drop my PS2, they will replace it for free.
Only regular customers like me have access to this type of insurance. Other customers have to pay a small fee per game to get 1-year insurance which sucks..

SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
andyhui01 said:
Thats what I do but only with computers/accesories actually. When it comes to games, I go to EB cos I have insurance on anything I purchase from there. Even if I accidently drop my PS2, they will replace it for free.
Only regular customers like me have access to this type of insurance. Other customers have to pay a small fee per game to get 1-year insurance which sucks..

o... if you get a wheel, it'll be safer to get the wheel from ebgames as they can screw up oaccasionally

Its gonna be the PS2 DFP or the PC MOMO
now what i wanna know is if you can change the gear stick to the left or right of the ps2 version, (cos u can on the momo)

AND

can the DFP and MOMO be used for xbox too????

thanks

cookie720 said:
Its gonna be the PS2 DFP or the PC MOMO
now what i wanna know is if you can change the gear stick to the left or right of the ps2 version, (cos u can on the momo)

AND

can the DFP and MOMO be used for xbox too????

thanks

In the DFP you can't change the side of the sticker.
Oh, and I think that the Momo one doesn't work with the PS2. Not sure, though.