Steering Wheel Issues

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
My fucking steering wheel just decided to break. I was playing NFS Shift (the Wild Horse track) and coming out of one of the hairpins, the wheel suddenly starts making weird noises and all the force feedback was gone, the wheel is completely limp. I can hear a motor whirring and I can here plastic rattling so I'm guessing one of the gears has broke.
The wheel is a Thrustmaster RGT Clutch. The wheel is only about 10 months old but I would be very surprised if they honoured the warranty as I'm sure they would claim it broke through violent/excessive use.
So the question is what to replace it with. I definitely want one that has a clutch pedal and obviously force feedback. It will mainly be used for PC on games such as Shift, LFS and RBR. However, it would also be nice to use it with GT5 when it comes out and also on the Xbox, although none really seem to be cross compliant apart from the Fanatec.
So basically should I get a G25/G27 or is it really worth spending the massive amount more for the Fanatec?

Edit: The belt had snapped, and taken one of it's guides with it. I have stuck it back together sans belt, but obviously the wheel now has no resistance whatsoever.

Last edited:
My fucking steering wheel just decided to break. I was playing NFS Shift (the Wild Horse track) and coming out of one of the hairpins, the wheel suddenly starts making weird noises and all the force feedback was gone, the wheel is completely limp. I can hear a motor whirring and I can here plastic rattling so I'm guessing one of the gears has broke.
The wheel is a Thrustmaster RGT Clutch. The wheel is only about 10 months old but I would be very surprised if they honoured the warranty as I'm sure they would claim it broke through violent/excessive use.
So the question is what to replace it with. I definitely want one that has a clutch pedal and obviously force feedback. It will mainly be used for PC on games such as Shift, LFS and RBR. However, it would also be nice to use it with GT5 when it comes out and also on the Xbox, although none really seem to be cross compliant apart from the Fanatec.
So basically should I get a G25/G27 or is it really worth spending the massive amount more for the Fanatec?

Edit: The belt had snapped, and taken one of it's guides with it. I have stuck it back together sans belt, but obviously the wheel now has no resistance whatsoever.

The Fanatec wheel is really good but it's way too much money for a wheel. I prefer spending that money on a real car :lol:

The G25 is cheaper (200? or less depending on the shops) now that the G27 has been released. And IMHO the G27 doesn't have that many new options or changes to consider buying one instead of the G25.

The Fanatec wheel is really good but it's way too much money for a wheel. I prefer spending that money on a real car :lol:

The G25 is cheaper (200? or less depending on the shops) now that the G27 has been released. And IMHO the G27 doesn't have that many new options or changes to consider buying one instead of the G25.

I think I might order a G25, they can be had for ?120 now.

Certainly a good choice...
Are your pedal compatible with fanatec? Or are they USB? You could buy a GT3RS Fanatec which is 169 Euros... And then later upgrade to Clubsports... ;-)

Certainly a good choice...
Are your pedal compatible with fanatec? Or are they USB? You could buy a GT3RS Fanatec which is 169 Euros... And then later upgrade to Clubsports... ;-)

No my pedals aren't unfortunately, I looked into that. I've ordered the G25, should come tomorrow.

I recently was in the same position. I went for the G25, simply because it's so much cheaper atm. It's a massive improvement over the Logitech DFP that died on me. The brake pedal especially makes a huge difference.

However, it certainly isn't perfect. The gears produce some vibration in the wheel movement (and sound if that's a concern), whereas G27's helical gears are a huge improvement and the belt drive of the Fanatec wheels reportedly is perfectly smooth. The wheel diameter could be a touch bigger and it's rather thin for big hands. The lack of buttons on the wheel can be inconvenient. But none of that will have any significant impact on lap times imho.

I can see the adjustability of the GT3 RS pedals having such an impact though.