Steve Irwin aka "The Crocodile Hunter" is dead

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
THE Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin, is dead. It is believed he was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest.

He was swimming off the Low Isles at Port Douglas filming an underwater documentary when it happened.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality today at Batt Reef off Port Douglas.

It is understood Irwin was killed around noon, Eastern Australian time.

A source said Irwin was already dead when his body was brought on to the island.

His body was being flown to Cairns Hospital in North Queensland for formal identification.

It's believed Mr Irwin's American-born wife Terri is trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania and has yet to be told of her husband's death.

Irwin - known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter - is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!".

The father of two's Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

He's also starred in movies and has developed the Australia Zoo wildlife park, north of Brisbane, which was started by his parents Bob and Lyn Irwin.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,20349560-661,00.html

RIP you crazy mofo. :cry:

Edit: It's up on CNN and MSN now.

That is really really sad :( He was an Aussie icon, and one that'll be missed for sure.

You gotta feel for the wife and kids. He looked like one of those very involved fathers and those kids will miss him badly.

I guess they'll stop airing the TV commercials he does for Australian quarantine for the Federal govt...

It was bound to happen sooner or later. I figured he would be killed by one of the animals he goes after eventually. I was expecting a venemous snake or a crocodile.

And those Toyota service ads.

I feel really sad for his family. He'll be sorely missed.

:cry: I just heard it on the radio here :sleep:

Feel so sorry for his wife and kids, RIP

Man, that's a surprise :(

I'm not really surprised. But, I always thought that Steve Irwin would die in an amazingly obscure and uneventful situation, like getting tetanus from a rusty thumbtack, falling on a sharp pencil,running with scissors, etc...

I guess I'm the only one that thought Irwin was kind of a knob.

Blind_Io said:

Maybe so, but you can't take away from the fact that he was an amazing ambassador for Australia (probably our best known celebrity) and a lover of all wildlife. His personailty may not have impressed everyone, but you can't fault him for being enthusiastic about what he does.

In the end, he still was a family man and that's what the people who love him the most will remember him by.

Terrible news. My prayers towards his family. He was so enthusiastic about his work and had such a vibrant personality, kind of like Clarkson. This will be huge news around the world.

I just can't help but feel for his family. He came across as a really devoted husband/father.

The Aussie wildlife will also miss him, he did great things to champion their cause, it doesn't matter how much of a crazy fucker he was, he was a great ambassador for all things Australian :(

Blind_Io said:

Not really I suppose I do feel for this family but less so then I do for the next guy who crosses the road and gets run over by a bus. If you play with fire you are going to get burned, it was not a case of "if" it wa "when".

A Tribute to Steve

gerryanderson904.jpg

Very sad news. He was one of the few who made nature and science interesting to kids. At least he died doing something he was so passionate about. It would have been a lot worse had he died of a heart attack, cancer, or something along those lines. He seemed really enthusiastic with his work and his life. The world needs more people like him. He'll be missed. :(

He had one of my favourite nature shows. The guy had real passion. Always figured that he wasnt? the tyoe to die of old age, but still a schock.

damn.....he was a freak, but a damn cool one. In fact, it?s the only australian guy I knew.....and he was very funny. Very very sad to hear it :(