stig sucks?

zenon said:
Burnz said:
I'm just trying to figure out how you guys can say that 'american's' can't build a car that corners...
One word: horsepower.

The Corvette may be one of the best handling of American built cars, but it keeps up with the competition through sheer power, not tight handling

So how do you explain last nights episode? The Ferrari 575, with more horsepower than the C6 corvette, ran the EXACT same time around the track with the stig driving.

Oh those poor leaf springs. :roll:

jmX said:
zenon said:
Burnz said:
I'm just trying to figure out how you guys can say that 'american's' can't build a car that corners...

The Corvette may be one of the best handling of American built cars, but it keeps up with the competition through sheer power, not tight handling

So how do you explain last nights episode? The Ferrari 575, with more horsepower than the C6 corvette, ran the EXACT same time around the track with the stig driving.

Oh those poor leaf springs. :roll:
Um, what? :| I did not reply to that post like that... your sort of fusing together two posts together and taking mine completley out of context.

Here is the actual post:
zenon said:
Burnz said:
I'm just trying to figure out how you guys can say that 'american's' can't build a car that corners... How does a car that is faster than an Acura NSX and BMW M3 CSL on the 'ring 'not handle'?

The Corvette may be one of the best handling of American built cars, but it keeps up with the competition through sheer power, not tight handling (I'm talking about everything prior to the C6 Corvette, it's entirely different). A Corvette will not pull nearly as many G's on a skidpad and will not run a slalom as fast as any of it's European or Japanese rivals, but it makes up for it with its horsepower and torque on the track.

American sports cars are still very fast, but it is undeniable that they lose it in the corner and make up for it in the straights on the track. And that's not bias, that's fact. :)
I was saying that the C6 can beat a lot of cars that would be considered "better handling" by out powering them. That is easily proven. I think the C6 is a wonderful car and I wasn't putting it down.

The 575 has more horespower than the C6, but as they said in the episode, the gearbox holds it back. As Clarkson said "the paddle gearbox is better in [the 575] than the Aston, but that is like saying rabies is better than botulism". So how do I explain the episode: by watching it and listening to what was said about the car - the gearbox holds it back.

Note: Do realize the 575 is a lot heavier than the Corvette too? I wasn't suprised by the results of the test at all.

That thread has to be a joke, tsih. Now who would buy a Vette, if they would see that thread? "hey, these idiots have Vette, why don't you?" amm.. byebye.

Anyway, let's nuke England, Vette is the best, 40's leaf springs are the best, there's no contest for Vette or Viper (what would happen if you put one Vette owner and one Viper owner in the same box?).

Unbelieveable.

- Yak

Burnz said:
I'm just trying to figure out how you guys can say that 'american's' can't build a car that corners... How does a car that is faster than an Acura NSX and BMW M3 CSL on the 'ring 'not handle'?

Power.

they got luck lol, lucky bastards :p

I never understood why so many people were against the Vette actually... it's a car in a class of its own. You don't buy a Vette cause it's faster than a Porsche or a Ferrari, you buy a Vette because it's a Vette!!
And leafsprings or not, it still went round a lap in exactly the same time as a Ferrari Maranelo and FASTER than a Porsche GT3!!! (and even the Viper which is supposed to be the American no-copromises race car built for speed ...).
Maybe those leafsprings are actually part of special research and the engineers behind the Vette decided to go a different route than follwing the double-wishbone trend?

They just wanted to bash the Vette because it's American :p It doesn't actually use the leafsprings they're talking about, it's much more complicated than that....I'll try to find a diagram.

They said it has leaf spring suspension, which implies that each wheel is suspended by a leaf spring and a shock absorber, but this is not the case with the corvette. It has a transverse leaf spring which is far different. Also, i have never heard of a car with independent rear suspension having leaf spring suspension.
Below you can see a picture of leaf spring suspension. Below that is a drawing of the C6 rear suspension which i cut out of a cutaway drawing.

Leaf-Spring-Suspension.jpg

vette2.jpg

sain said:
They just wanted to bash the Vette because it's American :p It doesn't actually use the leafsprings they're talking about, it's much more complicated than that....I'll try to find a diagram.
Well he liked the Dodge Viper a lot, and he just loved the Ford GT....so it's only the vette it seems.
But you are right about the leafsprings part....thier design is somewhat better then other leafsprings, at least that's what i remember from road and track....

sain: what car is that? is it yours? it seems like some car modded to look like a Ferrari 456...

omg plz lol n00bs :lol:

In this pic the rear suspension looks like a traditional wishbone with a leaf spring instead of the coil spring.. (I'm trying to use some concepts they tought in a course at the university :) )

2005-Chevrolet-Corvette-C6-rear-suspension-1024x768.jpg

Yak said:
That thread has to be a joke, tsih. Now who would buy a Vette, if they would see that thread? "hey, these idiots have Vette, why don't you?" amm.. byebye.

Anyway, let's nuke England, Vette is the best, 40's leaf springs are the best, there's no contest for Vette or Viper (what would happen if you put one Vette owner and one Viper owner in the same box?).

Unbelieveable.

- Yak

Look for the C6 Z06, that is going to be a truly awesome car. Over 500 hp and ft lbs of torque as well as a 0-60 time that is probably gonna be sub 4 at least. That seems like the combo to me. And the best part of all, its gonna cost around $50,000. :D

We still have to give Hammond credit, he realized in the end that it is a damn good car for the money. It was just Jeremy cutting him off as Hammond was showing how well it did in lap times. Any car that makes it in the top 15 of their track has to be pretty incredible in my mind, and look at the prices of the cars around it. :lol:

darcangelo said:
sain: what car is that? is it yours? it seems like some car modded to look like a Ferrari 456...

It is a real Ferrari 456 but with aftermarket wheels....I wish it was mine :p

darcangelo wrote:

It is a real Ferrari 456 but with aftermarket wheels....I wish it was mine

ok, thanks :)

the vette's not supposed to be a supercar - if it was, it would cost a hell of a lot more than $44K. Every car that people compare the 'vette with costs at least $30K more. The 'vette is knocked for cheap plastic, of course, they could have put nicer plastic, but that would have bumped the price. Here in the US, price point is very important. If the corvette was bumped up by $20K, chevy would lose 1/2 its buyers.
The key points of the corvette are not to cuddle the driver, to soften the road, or to deliver groceries. Its designed to be a weekend warrior, a track car, a beast. I agree that it's lost all of its original musclecar edge, but its been transformed into a car that is very light and has very high limits of performance.
The point that the forum (follow that link above) members (the semi-smart ones anyway) are trying to prove is to drive a corvette, you need to know how to really DRIVE a corvette. Like how you don't drive a mustang by keeping the revs below 1500RPM's - no - you have to run it up to 4K, easy, to get that throaty sound and to downshift early and let the engine completely slow down the car, to get that low-end burble. A corvette needs to be pushed unlike any european cars that have computers to show you the limit. I think that if Clarkson reviewed the car, he would have enjoyed it much more than what was said, much like the viper review.

Ultra_Kool_Dude said:
What's the Mustang? 5 litres, 250 hp :lol:

Mustang GT 99-04
4.6L V8 making 260hp/305ft-lb torque at the flywheel

Mustang Cobra 03-04
Supercharged 4.6L V8 making 390/390 at the flywheel with 6-8 psi

You could swap a belt and adjuster ($15-20) on the cobra, make 11-12 psi, and (not sure about HP numbers) have some real traction issues with the stock 275/40ZR17