Straight six, rear wheel drive, take two - 2001 BMW 320i touring

Verdict of the body shop: they'll do all of it for 1500 in cash. That means I can take the repair money, repair the car and get the repair costs without VAT. That means I would make a profit of about 1500 Euros. :drool:

Last edited:
... I should crash more often :D

Nice to hear that in the end everything went fairly smoothly.

Hold your horses, this is still in the making. The insurance company can still (and probably will) try to reduce the cost for them. I already called in a lawyer (who has to be paid by the insurance company of the opponent since he clearly was at fault) so I don't have to deal with the insurance company.

Today the insurance company of the opponent sent a letter that I will receive those 3000 Euros (plus expenditures plus loss of use) after all. :w00t: I'll make an appointment with a bodyshop in the near future. :)

Verdict of the body shop: they'll do all of it for 1500 in cash. That means I can take the repair money, repair the car and get the repair costs without VAT. That means I would make a profit of about 1500 Euros. :drool:

This is the kind of things one should not post on the internet.

Sorry, my wording was wrong, the 1500 Euros include a normal invoice, thus it's perfectly legal.

Well, now it's time for the 200k picture. :) It's the first time I took a car over that mark, most of the others (by which I mean two third) have been crashed into by others before that...

I still haven't gotten around bringing the car to the bodyshop since as you may know I moved to a new apartment 1 1/2 weeks ago. As the car still drives completely normal that's just cosmetic, I can live with that as long as it's just temporary. The insurance money surely helped with keeping the bank account in the black, but I still have enough to repair the car.

Welp, shit's fucked...

After the car was at the garage to repair the dents and change the clutch (which cost all in all less than I received from the insurance company :D) today the car refused to open. The keyfob didn't open the door any more for some time now so I resorted to just opening the door via the keyhole. Today after I stopped by the post office near my home on the way from work the lock wouldn't open, the key just turned freely to the limit stop, something is broken inside the lock. Unfortunately there is not a single spare keyhole, not at the passenger door and not at the rear hatch. So I called the ADAC which arrived 1 1/2 hours later and tried to open the door. Since this is a BMW and not a flimsy Peugeot snotbox the ADAC man had problems wedging the door frame open to get his tool in, and then he just wasn't able to open the door via the internal door opener. I just looked it up in the manual, that's by design: if you lock the car from the outside (either via remote or keyhole) you can't open the doors via the internal door opener.
The car has been towed to the garage which repaired the dents and changed the clutch, hopefully they'll be able to get in there somehow tomorrow.

Well, at least now I know that thieves will find stealing my car a hard nut to crack as well...

After the garage I got the car towed to broke into my car and I was able to drive it again I ordered a new lock which arrived today. You need just one screw to get the lock out, obviously there was a part broken inside the lock so the mechanism didn't grip to the receptacle in the door. Putting the lock in again was a bit puzzling at first since the old one went out very easily while the new one had to be pushed into place but then didn't do anything when I turned the key. It turned out you need to stick the key in the lock, turn it to the "open" position and then push it into the hole. Afterwards it's just the one screw to screw in and you're good to go. I really don't know why a garage would demand more than 20 Euros for that since it's done in about 5 minutes...

Long time no update, but as I attended this year's roadtrip there are some photos to post. :)

At the campsite near Dijon (I had the bike in the luggage compartment - I still like the touring :) )

At the campsite in Millau with IceBone

In front of the Viaduc Millau with IceBone and MWF

At the start of the Top Gear Audi RS4 vs. Speedclimber race

And of course one lap on the Nordschleife at the ringmeet was mandatory, unfortunately pretty much the whole weekend was rainy so the lap was slow...

Last edited:
Reactions: lip
Slow? Definitely didn't feel like that, the only thing that passed you was a Ringtaxi and many faster cars had to let you pass! :lol:

Also many thanks for the ride! It was pretty exciting :D

I just remembered I have the lap on my dashcam, I re-watched it and there were really only two faster cars which we overtook (Golf GTI and Porsche 991), all others were about on par or lower-powered. I just uploaded the video (uploaded in HD, should be available in HD shortly):

Last edited:
Well, now it's time for the 200k picture. :)
13 months later:

If I hadn't taken the 3500 km France trip I'd have driven "just" 500 km per month since last year...

Last edited:
The last half year has been pretty uneventful, mainly because I drove even less: today the tank was empty so I filled up. Afterwards I wondered when I last filled up, and discovered that it was on February 12th which means the last full tank lasted for more than 11 weeks...

In other news, my driver's side airbag has been replaced today because of the airbag recalls, the passenger's side airbag has been replaced in mid-2015. That was free of charge of course. :)

Yay, more karousel pictures :D

IMG_2753671af3cfb54d4d59.jpg

IMG_275409ae4f9a79a367fc.jpg

RdKetchup;n3553136 said:
Yay, more karousel pictures :D
You really purchased pictures which show your wife obscured by a smartphone? :p

Anyway, thanks for purchasing and posting them, I don't purchase the pics from the ring since for me the small ones with watermarks are enough.

DanRoM;n3553140 said:
Those headlights look not very enlightening....
Yeah, they're pretty badly scratched up, but as I rarely use the car anymore since last year, especially in the dark, it doesn't really matter. The indicator glasses are much better for some reason. Apparently there are aftermarket polycarbonate glasses for around 50 Euros available, but I CBA to buy and install them...

Eye-Q;n3553143 said:
You really purchased pictures which show your wife obscured by a smartphone? :p

That's what I told her, but she still wanted one :lol:

And for some reason the photog gave me an extra picture of both your car and Luigi :D