Strange Sleep Issue

Peter3hg

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Audi A3 1.4 TFSI Honda Hornet CB600S
I have a very odd sleep issue with my HTPC. It is running Windows 7 x64. Basically if I manually tell the computer to sleep it goes to sleep fine and wakes up fine on pressing the power button.
However if the computer goes to sleep itself after x amount of time it will not wake back up. After pressing the power button you can here the fans and HDDs spooling up but it doesn't come back on. The power light also doesn't come back on. The only way to get it back on is by holding down the power button to turn it completely off and then it goes through the usual Resuming from Windows hibernation stuff.
I am using Hybrid Sleep and the motherboard is set to allow S3 type suspend. Initially it wouldn't automatically sleep at all but I corrected that by installing the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers for the Wireless 1000 mouse. This was a known issue I've had to do on previous installs.
There is one unknown device on the system, which is part of the Black Gold TV tuner but there is no driver available for it. Windows recognises it as a co processor and I have it disabled.
Any ideas?

There is a difference between hibernation and standby.
In hibernation the current content of the RAM is written into the hiberfil.sys on the HDD and the PC is turned off completely. When you press the power button the content of the hiberfil.sys is written into the RAM and it continues where you left it.
In standby only the RAM still gets powered so it keeps the content. When you press the power button the rest of the components get powered up again and uses the stored content of the RAM to continue where you left it.

Which mode do you use when you tell it manually to sleep and which mode is set for the automatic sleep?

There is a difference between hibernation and standby.
In hibernation the current content of the RAM is written into the hiberfil.sys on the HDD and the PC is turned off completely. When you press the power button the content of the hiberfil.sys is written into the RAM and it continues where you left it.
In standby only the RAM still gets powered so it keeps the content. When you press the power button the rest of the components get powered up again and uses the stored content of the RAM to continue where you left it.

Which mode do you use when you tell it manually to sleep and which mode is set for the automatic sleep?

Hybrid sleep is essentially a combination of both. The memory is wrote to the HDD but is also retained in the RAM unless power is lost, thus enabling a very fast power up.. With it enabled you only have the option to sleep.
You can set to to go into full hibernation after a certain time but I have this option disabled.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds to me like something goes wrong with the transition between standby and hibernation. Try disabling hibernation and hybrid sleep, and see what happens.

I've tried that and it wakes up from "normal" sleep correctly.