Autoblog: Streamlined Chrysler minivan lineup to get different branding in U.S. and Canada

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
Autoblog said:
The Detroit News reports that while Chrysler is only expected to offer one minivan going forward, the vehicle will carry two different names depending on where it's sold. The Dodge Grand Caravan is expected to carry on in Canada while American buyers are likely to continue to be able to buy the Chrysler Town and Country. Reid Brigland, the head of the Dodge brand, said that the Town and Country resonates better with American buyers.

As you may recall, Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne has said that the automaker will only offer one minivan by 2013. In addition, the next-generation Chrysler minivan will offer optional all-wheel drive and have a nine-speed automatic transmission. Buyers will also be able to chose between standard sliding doors and a people-mover configuration with traditional hinged entrances. Chrysler also plans to take the compact-van fight to the Ford C-Max with a smaller platform as well.

The Detroit News says that the next-generation Chrysler minivan will continue to be built in the automaker's Windsor, Ontario facility.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/11/26/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

I'm admittedly worried about this. The Caravan nameplate is one of the most recognizable in the country, but so is Town & Country to an extent. Most Caravan buyers don't seem to be the type who would consider a T&C: The T&C might seem too high-zoot for kid carrying duty.

I do feel like there's a potential to shoot themselves in the foot if they price the next T&C improperly: After the 2011 refresh, they decided to position the Caravan in the entry level to mid-range market, while the T&C was strictly high end, playing with loaded Sedona EX's, Ody Touring Elite's and Sienna Limited's.

The sliding door vs hinged situation is interesting, not only because it pretty much cements the notion that there will be a next gen Journey (if not in name, then definetly in spirit) but also because Chrysler/Fiat decided to go with both options instead of feeling the need to have to choose. GM and Ford initially chose sliding doors for their minivan replacements but switched to CUV like hinged doors for the Lambda's and Flex.

Compact Van fight = Doblo and it makes sense because reportedly the Ram division was considering bringing over a passenger version of it when the Doblo cargo variant comes in 2012.

That is foolish. Never understood why any company would sell the same car in the USA and Canada with different names.

Just seems like a massive waste of money in my mind. The Caravan, from a sales point of view, has been doing pretty darn well. Fiddling with the name could discourage loyal buyers.

So the Doblo is coming too. that's the more interesting news. I would assume that under the chicken law there would have to be passenger ones.

So the Doblo is coming too. that's the more interesting news. I would assume that under the chicken law there would have to be passenger ones.

Yup. Fiat doesn't have anything else that's a compact van. I too find it interesting: it'll be intriguing to see if ford adjusts content on the TC xlt premium to better compete with the better finished doblo.

The Dodge Neon was called the Plymouth and the Chrysler Neon...

FIAT had a Lancia people mover over on the continent same as a FIAT I think, and a PUG.

"The "Eurovans" are a family of large MPVs from the Citro?n, Peugeot, Fiat and Lancia badges, built by Sevel at Sevel Nord factory. It was launched in March 1994. Production ceased in November 2010.
The Eurovans differ little technically and visually, being a prime example of badge engineering. The Eurovans share mechanicals and body structure with Sevel light commercial vans, Citro?n Jumpy (Dispatch), Fiat Scudo and Peugeot Expert.[SUP][1][/SUP]
"
Look they have finished a year ago so scrub that idea!

FIAT had a Lancia people mover over on the continent same as a FIAT I think, and a PUG.

"The "Eurovans" are a family of large MPVs from the Citro?n, Peugeot, Fiat and Lancia badges, built by Sevel at Sevel Nord factory. It was launched in March 1994. Production ceased in November 2010.
The Eurovans differ little technically and visually, being a prime example of badge engineering. The Eurovans share mechanicals and body structure with Sevel light commercial vans, Citro?n Jumpy (Dispatch), Fiat Scudo and Peugeot Expert.[SUP][1][/SUP]
"
Look they have finished a year ago so scrub that idea!

The Dodge Neon was called the Plymouth and the Chrysler Neon...

Correct, but the same car with the same options was/is sold in every country.

With the differentiation by content strategy that chrysler/fiat went for with the minivans for 2011, this presents the possibility that Canadians get shafted on high end options, and US buyers that are used to an affordable Caravan are turned off by the T&C's higher price and "pretentiousness."

The Caravan nameplate is known more I bet, as well.

Misleading thread title is misleading. I thought that Chrysler had revealed a new lineup of actual streamlined minivans that would get their own new brand for North America.

I was overwhelmed by the mundane nature of the actual contents. :| :shakefist:

Makes sense to me based entirely on personal observation. Never see T&C's here but Caravans are everywhere.

Lots of companies give different names between US and Canada models. VW for instance with the Golf Wagon and Jetta Sportwagon

Correct, but the same car with the same options was/is sold in every country.

With the differentiation by content strategy that chrysler/fiat went for with the minivans for 2011, this presents the possibility that Canadians get shafted on high end options, and US buyers that are used to an affordable Caravan are turned off by the T&C's higher price and "pretentiousness."

The Caravan nameplate is known more I bet, as well.
The T&C is so rare here that at least for Canada leaving just the Caravan even with no high end options would be fine to Chrysler. I mean like Canuck I rarely see a T&C and the VW badged Routan...I've only seen VW dealership shuttles. Without GM or Ford competing in this segment, the lower end minivans seem to be Chrysler's domain. Yet for pricier minivans its purely Toyota and Honda territory. The rest of them appear to be non-players.

The T&C is so rare here that at least for Canada leaving just the Caravan even with no high end options would be fine to Chrysler. I mean like Canuck I rarely see a T&C and the VW badged Routan...I've only seen VW dealership shuttles. Without GM or Ford competing in this segment, the lower end minivans seem to be Chrysler's domain. Yet for pricier minivans its purely Toyota and Honda territory. The rest of them appear to be non-players.

Interesting. The thing is, the T&C isn't exactly common here either. While it does sell well, I still see more people in Caravan's. Chrysler will have to manage to bring in lower end T&C trim's without making them penalty boxes that dilute the brand image. What they've done with the Durango and Grand Cherokee in terms of making the low end trims still look and feel upscale will come into play here.

Here in this part of the south, Dodge Caravans are fucking EVERYWHERE. like 1 in 10 cars i see on the road is a Caravan. just thousands of the damn things. and for every 100 Caravans i see i might see 5 town and countrys