Stupid Driver Stories

Ah, yeah, it seems in Germany that happens so often that we have a word for that: Geisterfahrer which translates to ghost driver, but then most people who drive the wrong way don't realize it for several kilometres for whatever reason...

Hit and run

Z9MeK9L.jpg

qUxVSmU.jpg

Saw this tonight; texting moron whacks his Eos pretty badly against a median complete with sparks, 40 degree roll and a possible oil trail, then drives away at 55+ mph. Sorry about the quality, but my dashcam isn't great at night.

This just happened.

Note two things: it's a one-way road that comes straight off an interstate, and the turn doesn't allow a long line of sight. Some seconds later with other drivers involved and a crash was very likely.

I moved to the center of the road because it initially looked like they would try to pass me and continue. They then reversed, but as you can see by the sign near the traffic light, the road they chose to get off was still a one-way in the other direction. Lucky for them, the road it comes from is aimed in the right direction.

(Sorry for the tilt, the camera mount loosens with the bumps and I only notice when I pull video.)

This just happened.

Note two things: it's a one-way road that comes straight off an interstate, and the turn doesn't allow a long line of sight. Some seconds later with other drivers involved and a crash was very likely.

I moved to the center of the road because it initially looked like they would try to pass me and continue. They then reversed, but as you can see by the sign near the traffic light, the road they chose to get off was still a one-way in the other direction. Lucky for them, the road it comes from is aimed in the right direction.

(Sorry for the tilt, the camera mount loosens with the bumps and I only notice when I pull video.)
He shoulda done a J turn!

The scene I woke up to Saturday morning. Apparently it happened about 3 AM. Of course, no note was left. It was declared totaled yesterday.

VxhT4VS.jpg

Good night, sweet prince.

Reactions: lip
And once again, the avatar is spot on for such an occurrence. Sucks man, hope the insurance does right by you.

Today's story comes courtesy of angry driving.

Bit of back story, I was dropping a relative off at an airport that I don't usually go to (LaGuardia for those interested) and there are two ways to go home from there the VanWyck or the BQE, since I'm not too familiar with the airport I gave the navigation duty to Google maps which decided to send me over BQE. That is a horrible and hateful road, the surface is crap, being an expressway there are trucks on it and it generally has decent amount of traffic no matter the time. However by the time you are on it it's too late to take the other route (I was expecting VanWyck). So of course I'm pissed because I been up since 4am and this will make it slower for me so I'm driving like a bit of an asshat and to top it all off its been raining, not very hard but consistent enough to make the roads wet.

Hit a part where its a downhill with a long sweeping right hander (for some reason street view is not cooperating) and switch over to the middle lane to get around a slow dude in the left lane (shut up Euros it's allowed!) after I have completed the maneuver all of a sudden car goes sideways, I attempt to straighten it and succeed after a couple of tries so as I have straightened out I start gently accelerating back up to speed (dropped to 30ish) and same thing happens, VDC is going nuts and I'm all outta grip on either end heading straight for the divider. In my panicked state I hit the clutch w/o hitting the brakes and immediately release it, which worked kind of like a clutch kick drift, with a couple of feet from the divider the car does like a 120 and bleeds off enough speed so that I could straighten it out. Lucky for me there were no cars around, the guy I just passed obviously hit the brakes. Single scariest experience of my entire life...

Today I met a complete, utter, f***ing idiot who was trying to overtake a lorry while being completely on my lane (so the wrong one). the idiot kept going for an entire eternity even after we had seen each other from far away, and the idiot tried to speed up that s**tbox of badly maintained, black-smoking Focus Mk1 diesel (probably, judging by the smoke) and never let go the overtake attempt, at all costs.

I had to squeeze myself between him and the guard-rail to avoid a full head-on crash. Luckily, the road was large enough. But what the f***. I felt like I was in one of those videos from Russia.

Last edited:
Today I saw a BMW E30 Convertible with it's roof up but all windows down - wtf, it's 23?C (73F) and sunny, why do you drive a convertible in the first place when you don't use such an opportunity to drop the top?

OK, this might not be stupid enough to be in this thread, but still... :p

Maybe the top is messed up, or just a short trip?

Today I saw a BMW E30 Convertible with it's roof up but all windows down - wtf, it's 23?C (73F) and sunny, why do you drive a convertible in the first place when you don't use such an opportunity to drop the top?

Driving a convertible is pretty stupid to begin with :p (they are almost as bad as FWD!)

Top mechanism might have seized or otherwise disabled.

Or the driver was on the way from/to the Autobahn, and deemed the drive not worthy of opening the roof because of that.