Stupid Driver Stories

I wonder what that is... i've never had a sporty car, so people behind me are usually very eager to get past me it feels like, practically resting their front end on my trailer hitch, then as soon as there's a corner, they vanish. Even in the Buick i used to have, i seemed to corner faster than the tailgater, by just doing the speedlimit.

It was horrible when i had the Mustang II, then they also wanted to race me, because a 90hp V6 Mustang from the 70's... is incredibly sporty. :p

I just ignored the revving of their Cobalt SS' and riced out Honda's and puttered away.

One of the early days in my motorcycle ownership, I was one of many vehicles at a light. The Mustang next to me started revving his motor. We both had cars in front of us, so I figured it was a "Let me hear your exhaust" sort of thing - it's not like we can race with traffic in front, right? So I rev back, as the bike has a nice sounding exhaust on it.

When the light turned green, the idiot in the Mustang slammed on the throttle and yanked the wheel, trying to go between the cars in front of him. He managed to not crash, but I'm not really sure how. Really? Really?! I do not understand people.

I've gotten that before, especially when I had the SHO. I just ignored the revving of their Cobalt SS' and riced out Honda's and puttered away.

Didn't help that I couldn't shift fast for shit if I wanted to so it was better than absolutely embarrassing myself.

My favorite part of hot rod weekend in York? All the douchewagons in modern cars and imports getting pulled over on Rt30 because they can't figure out not to do burnouts and pretend to drag race the actual good cars in front of cops.

I was driving on a two lane road the other day (that's two lanes in my direction with opposite direction traffic separated by a rather wide grassy median. The two lanes continued straight at a point where a third lane, on the far left, opened up for a slight left turn. I was in the left lane, which was about to become the middle lane. As I approached a parking lot exit to my right, a car pulled out into the right lane - not a problem at all, as I was in the left-becoming-middle lane. However behind that car was a 4Runner that too decided to pull out... into the far left lane... without signaling... right as I came up on him at 50mph. I brake with moderate force, honk, and check to make sure that the right lane is clear in case I need to use it - it's proven to be a good habit to look for escape routes and this was no exception. As soon as I honk, the guy in the 4Runner brake checks me HARD. I swerve around him into the right lane and as I am going by him I hear "FUCKING ASSHOLE!!!!" and he lays on his horn. WTF???

He barely looked and didn't see you. Since he didn't see you, in his mind, that means you weren't there. If you weren't there when he looked, but were when you honked, that means you were driving too fast. If you were driving too fast, you have no right to criticize his obviously careful driving. Note that's not how I see the situation, but how I suspect his mind sees it.

The human brain tries to gloss over our mistakes and our flaws. He didn't see you because he wasn't observing the details he needed to, so you didn't register in his brain. Since you didn't register, his brain made up a story to explain your later presence, and that story happened to paint you as an asshole. The story was wrong, but to his mind, it's fact. Humans are terrible eye witnesses.

I had something similar with someone who pulled out of a stop sign and proceeded to drive at 10 mph, then they got pissy when I honked.

I was waiting in a T-junction with a yield sign. I was sixth car in the line and everyone was going to turn left. At the left, maybe 30 meters from the T-junction, there's an intersection with traffic lights. There was line of cars waiting at the red lights and the end of the queue came just past the t-junction, so we couldn't turn left.

Suddenly the car in front of me goes to the oncoming lane and just floors it, overtakes queue, and after the yield sign, turns right and then uses the handbrake to turn left around the end of the line of cars waiting at red lights. Then he again floors it, uses the gravel shoulder and overtakes, the cars waiting at the red lights. And then he just stopped at the red lights, waited for the lights to turn green, turned right and drove away in completely normal manner.

It's been some time since the last time I saw such an amount of stupidity (last time included a semi-truck with fully extended telescopic trailer and a car driver that started to hesitate in the middle of an overtake.)

I was waiting in a T-junction with a yield sign. I was sixth car in the line and everyone was going to turn left. At the left, maybe 30 meters from the T-junction, there's an intersection with traffic lights. There was line of cars waiting at the red lights and the end of the queue came just past the t-junction, so we couldn't turn left.

Suddenly the car in front of me goes to the oncoming lane and just floors it, overtakes queue, and after the yield sign, turns right and then uses the handbrake to turn left around the end of the line of cars waiting at red lights. Then he again floors it, uses the gravel shoulder and overtakes, the cars waiting at the red lights. And then he just stopped at the red lights, waited for the lights to turn green, turned right and drove away in completely normal manner.

It's been some time since the last time I saw such an amount of stupidity (last time included a semi-truck with fully extended telescopic trailer and a car driver that started to hesitate in the middle of an overtake.)

That sounds kind of badass actually, wish you had a video lol

It seems the high temperatures really take a toll on some people's habits...

Today I drove 35 km through Hamburg, bypassing the 22 km traffic jam on the A7 (I needed 1 1/2 hours; if I had stayed in the traffic jam it would have been easily 2 1/2 hours), and there was an incredible amount of stupid people on the roads...

- People changing lanes constantly in dense traffic, only to stand next to you 2 km further down the road
- One driver in a current S500 Plug-In Hybrid (yes, that's what the badge on the bootlid said...) floored it every time when the light turned green, only to brake hard at the next light. He turned onto a major arterial road right behind me, and when he turned off about 6 km further he still was only 10 seconds in front of me
- Numerous people cutting other people (including me) off

Great one today, going grocery shopping with wife and little one, pretty heavy but moving traffic (doing around 30ish) on the highway my exit is coming up and there is space between two trucks in the right lane, so I indicate for a few seconds to signal to the truck behind that I need to get in and to basically be aware. As soon as I merge he lays on his horn and goes onto the shoulder to try and undertake me, then gets stuck behind a car stopped on the shoulder and cuts in in front of me. Back of the truck suggested that it was a Ukranian company, which does explain things. Once I was in the exit lane I was actually moving faster enough than he was to overtake him again.... Some people should not be allowed to drive trucks

Two obliviots making left turns where they're not supposed to on the same street within minutes of each other.

I love the Hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnk. :D

Mine's not the only horn going. :p

On the other hand, it's a perfectly reasonable use. 'You are illegally blocking the road and creating hazardous conditions for yourself and everyone else" being conveyed by horn is a safety warning message.

That street is notorious for teens and college students hitting things. I was half expecting an obliviot teen to come along and plow into her - or worse, rear end me. Not that my truck would have been damaged, but I really didn't want to stand around swapping paperwork and waiting for the cops to come for hours in 100F heat.

I got a funny one I was involved with, was backing out of a spot in a parking lot and so was an older lady, we met in the middle.... No damage to either car (obviously with speeds involved) but certainly both felt rather stupid.

Second, saw two people run a red today, not a yellow turned red but a red that was on for a whole, both cars just went through, without so much as slowing down...

Some wanker in a lowered Forester ran a stop sign, pulled an illegal right turn and would have hit me if I didn't see him coming out of my peripheral vision, and when I beeped he just smiled smugly. He then proceeded to cut off an old lady on a roundabout, also without indicating. Stupid tosspot drives like he owns the road.

Met one of the biggest idiots on the road yesterday.

I was following an e36 316i (or 318, debadged, but puny exhaust) when it suddenly developed a massive leak in the fuel system. It wasn't just dripping, it was leaving a line about 5 centimetres wide behind itself and actually made the road slippery enough for my ESP to come on in some corners. I started flashing the guy and put my hazards on, but he didn't react at all. After turning off and out of town, I kept following him, trying to get him to stop and check the issue, but now he apparently did see me and started flashing on his hazards, weaving left and right and accelerating rapidly, even though we were still within city limits. After we got to a bit of straight road, I went for the overtake and tried gesturing him to stop and then I saw him for what he really was, the stereotypical BMW driver. Spiked hair, sunglasses, even though it was dusk already and on the phone. I rolled my window down to try and tell him he's losing fuel fast, but he just started yelling back at me to fuck off and who the fuck I thought I was and made several attempts to HIT MY CAR!

At that point I just stopped and turned around. I hope you had your fuel canister with you, buddy. You'll need it.

EDIT: I need a dashcam.

EDIT: I need a dashcam.

I need to remember more thoroughly to re-insert the chip after copying some stuff off it :mad:

Met a Geisterfahrer[SUP]*[/SUP] on the A39 today :shock: silver Avensis of course :coplight: luckily both me and the A-Class overtaking me were awake :driving: so the lack of video is the worst thing that happened today :dance:

[SUP]* Idiot going the wrong way[/SUP]

Holy F**k, narf. Luckily, you and the merc had good reflexes.

I hope they got him before he could do any damage.