Stupid Driver Stories

It snowed today. One of the many slide-offs/wrecks I saw was a Utah Highway Patrol Charger that had stopped to help a motorist/give a ticket when someone slid into the back of his car. I hope no one was injured.

For the most part people were behaving, but I sure love my offroad tires in the snow. The X has whatever Nissan calls the stability control, which makes driving a bit less interesting that I'm used to. It's a nice feature, but I end up turning it off sometimes so I can spin the car in tight spots.

Had snow today in Cedar too, or rather, last night..

Driving the Fairlane in it is, umm.. interesting to say the least :blink:

makes me wish I had the K5 down here...

anyways, had some fool in a Suburban jump out in front of me today. He was pulling out of the parking lot, I was just going down the road. he slammed the brakes when he noticed me and started to slide.
I managed to avoid being hit though...

People like that frustrate the hell out of me. Yes bug SUV, 4x4. you can accelerate in the snow.. does not mean you can stop.

Last edited:
I'm doing a lot of interstate driving lately and I've found that almost no one follows the "slow traffic keep right" mantra. A few days ago I was on the road in the left lane going 80-85mph. A G6 pulls into the lane (well ahead of me) to pass a tractor trailer. He's going 75mph. That's fine, I let my car coast to within a couple car lengths of him. He decides that's too close and jabs on the brakes. Which is laughable considering what I drive. Anyway, I don't flinch, we come within a couple feet of each other so I decide to just go around the tractor trailer from the other side. When I do he races up beside me. I go 80; he goes 80. I go 90; he goes 90. Blocking me from the left lane.

So I start making obscene gestures with my hands/mouth/tongue etc at his lady friend in the passenger seat. She quit laughing, he got mad and I was having a ball :lol:.

I have an easier time parking the X-Terra, our old Land Cruiser, or my old '76 Volvo than I do a Beetle.
You can park a Freightliner easier than a new Beetle. Seems easier at least. :p

Yes big SUV, 4x4. you can accelerate in the snow.. does not mean you can stop.
Where I live (and I assume it's the same in Utah) you get a mix of shit kickers and suburban idiots (or suburban idiots who think they're shit kickers) driving way to fast for the conditions in their huge trucks and SUVs. I just keep an eye out for them in my mirror, let them pass, then count the miles until I see them in a ditch.

People like that frustrate the hell out of me. Yes bug SUV, 4x4. you can accelerate in the snow.. does not mean you can stop.

Massive truth has been spoken.

Anyone (German) has any idea about what happened exactly and why people follow the speed limit only in some cases?
Yes: because people are idiots. I too notice that people tend to do speedlimit-ish speeds, but refuse to speed up or slow down when the limit changes. People are too ignorant for that.

Does anyone think that it would have been better to wait in the leftmost lane?
No, you did exactly right. The other guy was an asshole.

Anyone (German) has any idea about what happened exactly and why people follow the speed limit only in some cases? Does anyone think that it would have been better to wait in the leftmost lane?

Next time something like that happens, stay in the left lane and force the other driver to brake. Because 99 out of 100 German drivers chicken away from overtaking on the right. Let him be the one who brakes out in sweat a bit.

Apart from that, what you described is a common phenomenon: Many drivers have a fixed speed and don't go below or above that. They have their rhythm and braking or accelerating is considered an annoyance.

You can have a lot of fun with that, by the way. Because nothing confuses and upsets people more, than overtaking them with 200 km/h and immediately braking hard after that to match an upcoming speed limit of 100 km/h :D

I love breaking people's driving rhythm. Waky, waky! :)

Last edited:
Thanks to global warming we have no snow

Apart from that, what you described is a common phenomenon: Many drivers have a fixed speed and don't go below or above that. They have their rhythm and braking or accelerating is considered an annoyance.

This is really strange. I found speed limits in Germany generally useful.

You can have a lot of fun with that, by the way. Because nothing confuses and upsets people more, than overtaking them with 200 km/h and immediately braking hard after that to match an upcoming speed limit of 100 km/h :D

I love breaking people's driving rhythm. Waky, waky! :)

:D

:nod: the geek that I am, I always tell people "you are not going to beat the laws of physics ... not in a car".

I've been in touch with Starfleet and am in talks to get an Inertial Damper installed in my Nissan.

That'll sort you out, Newton!

Isn't Star Trek the show, that failed to fit their starships with seatbelts, despite the whole load being thrashed around at least twice per episode, resulting in more crew members suffering injuries and deaths from falling out of their chairs into some hard metals rails, furniture or electrical wall panels, than the Klingons, Romulans and the Borg could injure or kill in a combined effort?

Last edited:
Yeah, pretty much, although in one of the movies, I think it was "Search for Spock" Excelsior was shown to have restraints on the seats. Granted the arm rests would just fold over your lap, but it was better than nothing.

I don't remember anyone ever being really injured from being thrashed around the bridge; they usually got up and dusted off. It was all the exploding panels that really killed folks. That and the act of wearing a red shirt.

Last edited:
I don't remember anyone ever being really injured from being thrashed around the bridge; they usually got up and dusted off. It was all the exploding panels that really killed folks. That and the act of wearing a red shirt.

red shirts were a bad idea, aswell as being some random unknown guy on the show...

Cpt James T Kirk, Spock, McCoy and ensign Ricky beam down to a new planet. Guess who's not coming back?

Also, why do all the important people go out on EVERY away mission. Isnt that sort of dangerous?

I do that!

Never fails..I'm out driving, and some moron is so far up my tailpipe, I can't see their plates or even the front of their car.

If the other lane beside is blocked, meaning he cant go around..I'll take my foot off the accelerator and end up coasting along at 15 to 20mph. :p

I love to see their faces go from normal to red, then to purple as the drivers in the other lanes seem to know what I'm up to and not let them pass. :p

However, I have been sorely tempted to just slam on my brakes and let them buy me a new car.

I like to drop a wheel off the road onto the dirt/gravel...that gets them to drop back pretty damn quickly :p

Also, why do all the important people go out on EVERY away mission. Isnt that sort of dangerous?
I give you the alternative!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIPOaRUFg[/YOUTUBE]

I give you the alternative!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnPIPOaRUFg[/YOUTUBE]

Someone should make such things with Top Gear episodes... :lol: